I'm Less Than Impressed with My Pelikan Alexandria

ElastomerGuy

I recently purchased a Pelikan Alexandria. It's my first Pelikan. I've got about 20 Parker fountain pens along with some Mont Blanc pens and some Cross fountain pens. Anyway, the Alexandria is also my first bottled ink pen. Heretofore, I've used ink cartridges in my pens. The Alexandria has not impressed me so far. Even though I purchased a fine replacement nib from Pelikan for it, it puts entirely too much ink on the paper even though I use a light touch when writing. In addition, I have to shake it to get the ink flow started every time I use it. In addition, I can't seem to get the pen to draw any ink into the chamber. I've been filling it myself with an eye dropper by removing the nib. My questions are these. Is the shaking a normal thing with Pelikan ink? Is there a trick to getting the pen to draw ink from the bottle into the barrel? And, finally, is there anything that could be done to the nib to reduce the amount of ink that goes onto the paper. If I can't resolve these issues, I'm probably going to sell it and stick with my Parkers as they always write the first time without a shake and the fine points do indeed put down a fine line that dries quickly. Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Deirdre

• physicsgirl

• Conz

• ElastomerGuy

Is the shaking a normal thing with Pelikan ink?

Is there a trick to getting the pen to draw ink from the bottle into the barrel?

Hmm. No and no. 'Fraid I can't help you more.

Platinum 3776 - F, Pilot Decimo - F, TWSBI Vac Mini - 1.1i

- I don't have any hands on experience with that model, and maybe I misunderstood you, but why not fill it up like this?

You may not be submerging the nib far enough into the ink when you fill. You want the entire nib and feed submerged. If you don't you will only pull air into the chamber.

Did you flush the pen out before you used it the first time?

Fill and flush with warm soapy water then regular warm water to make sure you remove all the soapy water. Wrap the nib in tissue paper gently and place upright to remove any remaining water (I usually leave mine like this overnight). After this try filling your pen. Submerge the entire nib and feed the ink (its okay if you put a little bit of the section in to the ink to make sure your nib is submerged enough), twist the knob to pull up the piston and fill the chamber. Once you've pulled the piston up twist the knob to push the piston back down (while nib and feed are still submerged in the ink), then pull the piston up again (this makes sure your ink chamber is completely full). Lift the nib from the ink and twist the piston knob until you get 1 or 2 drops of ink out. Then wipe down any parts that got ink on them and you should be good to go. :)

If you still have problems. You might try a different ink. Hope this helps.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s1600/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

- I don't have any hands on experience with that model, and maybe I misunderstood you, but why not fill it up like this?

Yup that video is what I was trying to describe. Try that, and see if it helps.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s1600/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

Most of the cartridge pens you described also has an option to use bottled ink with a converter and the way you fill is identical. Basically you turn the piston nob at the end to push the piston down, and then dip the ENTIRE nib into ink and reverse screw the end nob to pull piston up along with ink. Imagine a syringe but with a screwing mechanism for operating the piston seal. And think about it, since the entire nib is open, the entire nib must go under ink, otherwise you are drawing air into the chamber.

Is shaking required after the fill (using your eye dropper method), or is it required EVERY TIME you take the cap off and want to write?

If it is the first case, then it is todo with the the way you fill the pen. You have to prime the pen first, and the above comments already tells you how to do it. Just follow the exact instruction as the video.

If it is the second case then there is something wrong. Since you have already taken the nib out etc, make sure the feed is not dirty (with dust etc), also make sure it is screwed in correctly, and it should be just tight enough with moderate force, never force it to be very tight, nor leave it lose. It looks like you have two nibs, medium and fine (you said "replacement")? Try to change a nib, and see if the problem is still there. It is highly unlikely that you are unlucky enough to get two defective nibs at the same time, so if both nibs experiences the same problems then perhaps the problem is not the nib.

In terms of wetness: you may find the pen/nib/ink to behave VERY DIFFERENTLY on different papers. For example, both my pelikan and montblancs are very wet on moleskine, they also occasionally bleeds through the paper (I use MB Royal Blue most of the time), how ever on the Nice Day office papers I have in the office, both pens are very dry. My pelikan used to be a fine nib, and I found it almost too dry. Same pen on two different papers, and I get opposite effects! So test on a few paper makes first. There are information available online that describes how to adjust flow DIY, but if I am first time doing it, I would probably try it on a $10 pen first before ruining the more expensive nibs.

You mean the Lighthouse of Alexandria? Big pen?

I own this one, so I have a few specific suggestions.

1) You may be putting too much pressure on the nib. The 1000 series Pelikans (which this one is) have somewhat flexy nibs and they will widen if you put enough pressure on. Most modern nibs are stiff, so you wouldn't notice this.

2) The weight of the pen and the way you hold it may be putting more pressure on than you're used to. Are you using it with the blind cap in place or not? If you are, try using it without and see if that changes your writing.

3) When you fill, you need to submerge ALL of the nib and at least a bit of the section. Then remove the blind cap, turn the piston knob all the way in the same direction you removed the blind cap, then all the way back. I always do this twice, though that's probably not necessary. You can put the blind cap back on or not depending on your preferences (I write with it on).

I have this pen with a fine nib, if you'd like me to send you a post card with it to show what my F nib looks like, drop me a PM with your address.

If all else fails, I'd recommend sending it to a nibmeister who specializes in Pelikan: Richard Binder (richardspens.com) or John Mottishaw (nibs.com).

If you want me to explain in more detail with pictures, I'd be happy to do so. I love this pen.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

It sounds like you have a dud. You mentioned that you bought a replacement nib. Does that mean you have two nibs? Are they both experiencing the same problems? (Or did I read that the wrong way?) The problems you describe are atypical of the fine quality I've come to expect of Pelikan. Not to mention they're probably very frustrating to you.

Cold comfort, but Pelikan has excellent repair/warranty service in the USA and Europe. It might be worth your while to call the customer service number for your region and explain the problem. I'm sure they'll want to make it right.

ETA: I forgot my manners: :W2FPN:

Edited by bphollin

It sounds like you have a dud. You mentioned that you bought a replacement nib. Does that mean you have two nibs? Are they both experiencing the same problems? (Or did I read that the wrong way?) The problems you describe are atypical of the fine quality I've come to expect of Pelikan. Not to mention they're probably very frustrating to you.

Cold comfort, but Pelikan has excellent repair/warranty service in the USA and Europe. It might be worth your while to call the customer service number for your region and explain the problem. I'm sure they'll want to make it right.

ETA: I forgot my manners: :W2FPN:

Me too. :embarrassed_smile: :W2FPN:

I've noticed with the larger Pelikan pens that if the nib hasn't been using in awhile they seem to be very dry. I have three M800's and a fourth extra nib. Every single one of them wouldn't go with the first fill. I take them out of the pen and let them soak in plain clean water for twelve to twenty-four hours before trying to use them. I can't say if there is any scientific reasoning for this, but it seems to work for my M800 nibs.

Another thing you might want to do is to try other inks with your pen. If it writes too wet, try a drier ink.

Don't give up on the Pelikan line of pens over this problem. You are after all a "newbie" with a piston filling pen. They take a little bit of adjusting to if you have only ever used cartridge pens. Once you get the hang of using bottled inks you will wonder why you ever wasted your time with cartridge fillers. Now don't take me wrong, I have more than my fair share of Parker Pens, but I much prefer a "51" to a newer Duofold. Pelikan just has so much natural appeal with the piston system.

"Stay the course" and let us know how it goes.

Fair winds and following seas.

I've noticed with the larger Pelikan pens that if the nib hasn't been using in awhile they seem to be very dry.

I haven't had this problem with a Lighthouse unless I let it sit for two or more weeks.

Now that I've found my camera, I'll post some pictures some time this weekend, but my F nib writes like an F nib should and is very expressive.

Edited by Deirdre

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

I honestly didn't think anyone really used these for writing:

I can't find the link, but I think a lady named Gail Rhea made the comment that the pen companies didn't think so either (that anyone bought these for writing), so this class of pen may not be as well tuned as their workhorse pens, which they know people will use the heck out of.

Another thing you might want to do is to try other inks with your pen. If it writes too wet, try a drier ink.

Don't give up on the Pelikan line of pens over this problem. You are after all a "newbie" with a piston filling pen. They take a little bit of adjusting to if you have only ever used cartridge pens. Once you get the hang of using bottled inks you will wonder why you ever wasted your time with cartridge fillers.

Sage advice. Don't think for a second that all inks, or even two inks from the same company, behave exactly the same!

"If we faked going to the Moon, why did we fake it nine times?" -- Apollo 16 astronaut Charlie Duke

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4009/4447835438_d7314170bf_o.png

I honestly didn't think anyone really used these for writing:

I can't find the link, but I think a lady named Gail Rhea made the comment that the pen companies didn't think so either (that anyone bought these for writing), so this class of pen may not be as well tuned as their workhorse pens, which they know people will use the heck out of.

Ehh, I use mine all the time. Currently have it inked, even.

Previously promised writing sample:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2688/4446724459_e74d0460ba_b.jpg

deirdre.net

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions. I will give all of them a try and definitely not give up on the Alexandria just yet.

ElastomerGuy, let me know if there's some way I can help.

deirdre.net