18k nib on MB 146 (platinum trim)

tanalasta

On the MB website, the LeGrand is meant to have a 14k nib. http://www.montblanc.com/products/black_resin_platinum_le_grand_platinum_line.02851.php

Mine says '18k' on the nib and is a new LeGrand. Just wondering when did MB update the 146 to 18k nibs? It's a duo-tone nib.

No photos yet (sorry).

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tanalasta

• 1000km

• Esov

• sunnerd

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My 2009 Unicef 146 says 14K too.

Best regards, Kai

Montblanc 13x, #20/25/30/40, 244/6 Green Marbled, 322 Azure Blue, 234 1/2 G/PL, 256, 220, 34.

Montblanc 144G Grey, 146G Green Striated, 146 Silver Barley, 149 (50s-00s).

Montblanc WE Christie, Imperial Dragon, Wilde, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Proust, Schiller, Verne, Mann, Twain. PoA Prince Regent, Morgan...

Visconti Pontevecchio LE, Metropolitan Gordian Knot, Ripples. Omas Paragon Royale Blue HT, Extra Lucens Black LE. Pilot Silvern. Pelikan 620 Shanghai, 800 Blue o Blue.

Thank you for the replies.

The nib writes like a dream but is was interesting as I thought only the 149 came with a 18k nib out of the current models.

I have posted a photo here where you can see where it says 18k at the base of the nib. I'm sure the one that is the MB146 is pretty obvious!

The pen was purchased new from a well known authorised retailer (FPH) recently.

post-32965-126873340227.jpg

Edited by tanalasta

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

It always shocks me to see how blatantly Sailor copied MB's nib design. Right the way down to the scroll-work and the font used for the digits. Unforgivable.

I have a similar 146 with 18K nib:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/MB146-A/IMG_3412.jpg

Some people conjecture that these nibs were fitted to the pens destined for the French market(my 146 with this nib came from France). Solitaires in the 146 size come fitted with the 18K nibs as standard.

there is no diffrence in writing syle between my bitone 18k nib and 14k nib.

Regards,

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Yes, as a frenchman, I confirm that at some stage, 18K nibs were standard issue in France. Until 2000 I would guess.

It had to do with the french laws. In a nutshell, if it was only 14K you could not market it as "gold".

It has evolved with the new european regulations having priority on the local regulations.

MB 149 with three-colour M nib, pen stand, blotter

MB 149 with three-colour M nib, slit slightly off, leather cigar case

MB 146, clear blue ink window, 18K yellow F/M nib, crystal inkwell

MB 146, striated ink window, 18K yellow fine nib, MB 147, M nib, leather case,

Voltaire WE with Bernstein clip and 149 star, M nib

166 yellow, 166 green, 1x161, 2x167, a couple of 164/163's, Platinum solitaire signum BP

And a couple of Lamy, Pelikan, and Rotring calligraphic pens