Pen dripping ink

Denny

Hi,

I purchased a new Schaeffer recently and I am happy with it - it is smooth and starts well even if I leave the cap open for some time. But sometimes it drops ink - when I open the cap or when I make a shaky move. It is rather a wet pen, but I can live with that, but I'd like to fix dropping ink. Is it possible? I use Parker Quink navy blue ink.

I understand that when removing the cap there is a little suction due to increased volume inside the cap (unless the cap is screw on) but it happens with every pen and they do not drop the ink.

Thank you,

Denny

Edited by Denny

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Denny

• ToasterPastry

• Ernst Bitterman

• Shangas

This is a rather pathetic answer, and I'm sure someone will step in and give you the actual answer after they read my response.

1) New pens seem to glorp ink less than vintage pens.

2) Certain inks glorp more than other inks.

3) Newer inks glorp more than older inks (vintage inks).

4) Certain pens glorp more than others. This is often true if the tines on the nib are widely spaced, giving you a wet writer.

5) If you have a wet writer, you are more likely to get glorping than if you get a dry writer.

6) Often a wet writer can be adjusted by using your thumbs to cross the tines over each other, being careful to maintain the vertical alignment of the tines when finished.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn130/ToasterPastryphoto/pop.jpg

Follow me on Twitter!

Read my silly blog!

Hi Denny,

It's spelt Sheaffer

Dripping ink can be caused by several things. I believe one possible reason is body-heat. Is the pen exposed to very hot or very cold temperatures? If I recall correctly, such things can affect how the ink behaves in the pen (eg - hot weather can cause a pen to seep ink out of the nib, etc).

http://www.throughouthistory.com/ - My Blog on History & Antiques

Knowing which model of Sheaffer might make for a more sensible answer, although all Sheaffers since about 1938 have have enough vanes on their feeds that glorperization is almost unheard of unless there's some kind of tiny air leak in the reservoir (whatever that might be-- sac, converter, cartridge). As a stop-gap, all I can offer is to make sure you're keeping it point-up when uncapping, so if that is drawing material into the feed, it will draw air rather than ink.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Fountain pens are rather complicated and subtle devices so there are many things that could be wrong, including too much vacuum when you pull the cap off, though I have never seen that happen. (But there are a lot of things I've never seen so that does not mean a lot).

Before bending the tines, there are some things to check. Leaks in the pen somewhere could be the culprit. If it is a cartridge/converter pen and you use a converter, make sure it is fully and properly seated. If a converter, remove the converter and inspect it (with magnification) to see if it is cracked anywhere and also check that the nipple is not cracked or deformed. If it is a cartridge/converter pen, you might want to try some cartridges and see if you have the same trouble. That would allow you to determine whether it is the converter or not. Inspect the section carefully (with magnification) to see if it is cracked anywhere as this, too, could allow air to enter.

If the nib and feed are not properly aligned, this can cause problems as well. Often, improper alignment or too large of a gap between the nib and feed can cause problems and can often be fixed pretty easily. I am loathe to give generic instructions without knowing the details on the pen. (In fact, I have no experience or expertise with Sheaffers, so I'll let others give more detailed instructions about the nib and feed assembly on a Sheaffer). Even within the same brand, different nib and feed designs are used so you need to let folks know which model and what year (approximately). If you post some details about the pen there are plenty of folks around here with a lot of experience and expertise with Sheaffers and I'm sure that you will get some good instructions.

Just realized that you said it is new - so it won't be some funky filling mechanism and probably is a c/c pen. Still, let folks know which model.

Edited by wheezur

Hello all,

thank you for your help - and my apology for spelling errors as well as my poor vocabulary.

I attached few pictures of the pen - I bought it on the ebay as NOS and I fitted a convertor from another Sheaffer pen. It seems to be OK, there is no leakage, but the pen is rather wet and this is probably the problem.

The sucction when removing the cap - I think there is a little, but the shaky move is more likely to cause the glorp (thanks ToasterPastry :)).

post-9092-126791346504.jpg

post-9092-126791347893.jpg

post-9092-126791349766.jpg

post-9092-126791348832.jpg

I am sure you can indentify the pen - is it worth $20 (AUS)?

Thanks

Denny

IIRC that was called the Fashion. What you describe though still sounds like there is an air leak in the system somewhere.

I suggest that you start by soaking the nib and section overnight in a solution of warm water with a few drops of liquid detergent added.

Next, dry the pen and in particular, make sure the area where the converter seats is clean, clear and dry.

Before trying the converter again, try using a Sheaffer cartridge in the pen and see if you still get the leaks.

1) New pens seem to glorp ink less than vintage pens.

2) Certain inks glorp more than other inks.

(snip)

Knowing which model of Sheaffer might make for a more sensible answer, although all Sheaffers since about 1938 have have enough vanes on their feeds that glorperization is almost unheard of unless there's some kind of tiny air leak in the reservoir (whatever that might be-- sac, converter, cartridge). (snip)

to glorp (verb)

glorperization (noun)

My life is so much fuller now. I will go forth and use these new and wonderful vocabulary words immediately...

:roflmho:

Kushbaby

I like eating peanuts with chopsticks...

After discussing your problem amongst the members of the Council of Pens, I'm going to have go along with the 'air in the ink line' theory as well as the 'nib and feed misalignment theory.'

First: soak the nib and feed in water overnight after flushing it multiple times in cold water, then flush it again multiple times, then dry it overnight, ensuring that the water is blotted up with a paper towel

Second: switch inks.

Third: change to a cartridge only system (not converter).

Fourth: remove the nib from the feed (seeking the help of a trained professional who has a large hammer), then replace it for a tighter fit. You may be able to force the nib onto the feed yourself at this time (grabbing the outside edges of the nib).

Dripping is a continuous drip of ink, whereas glorping is that unexpected drop of ink that flies off the nib at some inappropriate time usually onto clothing.

I hate glorping.

Edited by ToasterPastry

Follow me on Twitter!

Read my silly blog!

I think you could go to the Sheaffer forum and cut and past this thread.

There, actual Sheaffer users might know more about any Sheaffer Fashion flaw and the way to fix it.

Try to locate a local Sheaffer enthusiast and ask him/her to help you out with the problem.

The suggestions by posters above are the first steps to take.

Keep us posted on the story of your Sheaffer :)

PS: Before doing something drastic to your pen, consider just replacing the section and sell the leaky one as "part" on the Marketplace.

Edited by Anne-Sophie

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Thank you all for your help!

I removed the converter and there was a small leak - it was not visible when the converter was in the pen - here is a photo:

post-9092-126802279239.jpg

I put the pen in water and tomorrow I will fit an original Sheaffer cartridge. I tried to remove the nib, but the pen refused to give it to me, so I thought better I leave it (before I find a bigger hammer :) ). I may try to adjust the tines - I did it before and I think I can handle this.

The pen does not drip ink all the time, just sometimes (definitely in the most inappropriate time), so it glorps (even The Fountain Pen Network spelling dictionary does not know this word - made me feel so much better).

I will keep you informed with my new Sheaffer pen adventure.

OK, with the pen clean, a new Sheaffer cartridge fitted and after some empty strokes the ink finally gets to the nib. The line is not so wet as before and this is good. Now I try some shaky move - and a glorp! Not big, but it glorped.

I think I just have to be careful with this pen especially when removing the cap.

Regards,

Denny

if it is a really really wet writer, it might have a higher tendency to glorp, try a drier ink, let's say...pelikan 4001 black

I'm a little hot potato right meow

"no they are not making littler ponies, they are EMBRACING"

I opened a box of cheerios and planted them. I thought they were doughnut seeds. They didn't sprout :( (joke of the week)

I'm thinking of taking a petition before the Council of Pens to have glorp instated as part of the lexicon of pen enthusiasts. It's certainly better than nib creep.

Denny, to separate your nib from the feed, you'll need access to a nib block. Typically, the nib and feed are removed from the pen, and then the feed is inserted into a metal block with die-cut holes. The nib is punched out. Nib blocks can run from $250 to $350. It's better to try the alternative methods described before going this route.

Follow me on Twitter!

Read my silly blog!

if it is a really really wet writer, it might have a higher tendency to glorp, try a drier ink, let's say...pelikan 4001 black

Thanks for reply, but I do not use black ink. But I will try some other ink available here in Melbourne.

Denny, to separate your nib from the feed, you'll need access to a nib block. Typically, the nib and feed are removed from the pen, and then the feed is inserted into a metal block with die-cut holes. The nib is punched out. Nib blocks can run from $250 to $350. It's better to try the alternative methods described before going this route.

It's not worth spending the money on this cheap pen. I am not sure if the feed has a thread or is just pressed in the pen. I tried with hand both ways, but no luck.

Anyway, it's OK, I can still use the pen, just have to be careful handling it.

Well, $20 is not much, but I have so many cheaper pens and still looking for the one ultimate pen - I think it's time to stop buying cheaper stuff and save money for a good one (Parker Duofold ...).

Having had a look at it-- that's one of the least vane-y Sheaffer feeds since 1935. I shouldn't be surprised if sudden large motions knock loose a little ink (heck, I could flick someone parti-coloured back in grade school with a heavily-vaned Sheaffer Cartridge). From your description of current behaviour, I'd call it good.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg