stub nibs

amble63

I'm intrigued by the idea of a stub nib (or am I, as a lefty, just fooling myself?). Has anyone tried the Levenger stub nib? If so, what feedback? Any other stub nib pens that one can recommend? Or do I just have to buy the nib itself or have a nib on one of my pens reground?

thanks!

Anna

Colour is its own reward - N. Finn

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amble63

• rogerb

• OcalaFlGuy

• anaximander

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a lefty overwriter. I end up holding the pen about 180 degrees opposite of a proper right-hander. So while flex nibs are fun, they don't look right. Because when righties are pulling and applying pressure, I'm pushing and unable to apply pressure.

But stubs and italics seem to work! Since it's ~180 degrees, the proper strokes are thicker and thinner, so it looks like you'd expect. Crisp italics can be scratchy (since I push the pen so much), but stubs/cursive seem to be ok.

If you're worried, I'd suggest you try a Lamy 1.1 italic. If you already have a Safari, you can get a replacement nib for very little. I've got a 1.1mm and 1.5mm Lamy italic, and a Binder 0.6mm stub. They're all pretty awesome. I have an 0.8mm stub on the way that I expect to love.

I haven't tried the stub you mention, but I wouldn't be too afraid. Feed your intrigue!

Edited by sjs

Steve

A Sheaffer stub is among the very best. Bexley also uses an exceptional quality stub nib.

For left handed writers, stubs are a challenge because of the volume of ink left on the paper. Try a somewhat thinner ink that dries quickly.

I have not tried the Levenger, but I do have Stipula, Bexley, Sheaffer, Waterman, Delta, Krone, Lamy stubs. And I have on order a Visconti stub. I love stubs. The Krone and Delta are my favorites.

Joi - The Way of the Japanese Pen

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3664/3387580367_f8a1a5c1df.jpg

I'm a lefty overwriter. I end up holding the pen about 180 degrees opposite of a proper right-hander. So while flex nibs are fun, they don't look right. Because when righties are pulling and applying pressure, I'm pushing and unable to apply pressure.

But stubs and italics seem to work! Since it's ~180 degrees, the proper strokes are thicker and thinner, so it looks like you'd expect. Crisp italics can be scratchy (since I push the pen so much), but stubs/cursive seem to be ok.

If you're worried, I'd suggest you try a Lamy 1.1 italic. If you already have a Safari, you can get a replacement nib for very little. I've got a 1.1mm and 1.5mm Lamy italic, and a Binder 0.6mm stub. They're all pretty awesome. I have an 0.8mm stub on the way that I expect to love.

I haven't tried the stub you mention, but I wouldn't be too afraid. Feed your intrigue!

Your writing style seems fairly similar to mine. Sounds promising!

I have a purchased stub in a Waterman Carene and it was so good that I subsequently ground a Waterman ad a Sheaffer Prelude to stub. Love them and tempted to work on a few more one day, the line variation is very noticeable but not over-the-top making them a great everyday nib that in my opinion makes handwriting look neater than with a M or F nib.

Please visit my new pen and ink/pen box site at www.boxesandpens.co.uk

Hand made boxes to store and display your favourite pens.

10% discount for FPN members

I am not a lefty, but I do use a Levenger Stub nib regularly. I have an Obsidean True Writer with a factory stub nib. I love it. I particularly like it with some of the inks that shade nicely. Currently inked with Private Reserve Burgundy Mist. /Craig

A consumer and purveyor of words.

Co-editor and writer for Faith On Every Corner Magazine

Magazine - http://www.faithoneverycorner.com/magazine.html

I have a purchased stub in a Waterman Carene and it was so good that I subsequently ground a Waterman ad a Sheaffer Prelude to stub. Love them and tempted to work on a few more one day, the line variation is very noticeable but not over-the-top making them a great everyday nib that in my opinion makes handwriting look neater than with a M or F nib.

I was thinking of getting a Waterman stub nib from the Pen Seller from France for my Charleston. . .

http://rongilmour.info/images/stubNib.jpg

That's weird. To my eyes, your stub seems to produce thicker cross strokes and thinner down strokes - the opposite of a normal stub. Can you tell us more about this nib?

The Levenger pens are pretty decent. I own two, but I'm not a huge fan of their nibs. Even the True Writer nibs feel restricting and dry to me. I had some problems with the stub nib skipping. Gave Levenger a call and they sent another right out. Very nice customer service. The price isn't terrible, so give it a try.

"We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane." -Kurt Vonnegut

"Anyone can slay a dragon ...but try waking up every morning and loving the world all over again. That's what takes a real hero." -Brian Andreas

"I still believe that peace and plenty and happiness can be worked out some way. I am a fool." -Kurt Vonnegut

http://rongilmour.info/images/stubNib.jpg

That's weird. To my eyes, your stub seems to produce thicker cross strokes and thinner down strokes - the opposite of a normal stub. Can you tell us more about this nib?

Actually, to MY eyes I see very little line variation at all.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I agree, Bruce....let me see if I have any of my stub writing samples.

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

Just realised I cannot edit here, still, a real PITA :(

Here are some old samples of my scrawl with various CIs and stubs ..the difference is somewhat blurred at times....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/rogerb40uk/StubsandCIs.jpg

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

If you want to try a stub for a very small investment, Pilot 78G "broad" nib. The broad is really a stub. They are great little pens - not heirloom quality, of course, but good, inexpensive pens that write well. They are not tipped (no "iridium") so no expectation that they'll last 100 years but they are a great place to start. There are a number of different sellers on-line with prices ranging from ~$12 to ~$25.

A stub nib for a Lamy Safari (if you already have a Safari) is ~$15 and changing nibs is simple. As noted in another reply, this too is a good, low cost option for experimenting with stub nibs. (Lamy italics, like the Pilot broad, are not tipped). I did not like the medium nib on my Safari (scratchy - guess I got one of the few bad ones) so I replaced my medium with a 1.1 mm italic. It's hard to believe that one can have that much fun for $15.

If you want to try a stub for a very small investment, Pilot 78G "broad" nib. The broad is really a stub. They are great little pens - not heirloom quality, of course, but good, inexpensive pens that write well. They are not tipped (no "iridium") so no expectation that they'll last 100 years but they are a great place to start. There are a number of different sellers on-line with prices ranging from ~$12 to ~$25.

A stub nib for a Lamy Safari (if you already have a Safari) is ~$15 and changing nibs is simple. As noted in another reply, this too is a good, low cost option for experimenting with stub nibs. (Lamy italics, like the Pilot broad, are not tipped). I did not like the medium nib on my Safari (scratchy - guess I got one of the few bad ones) so I replaced my medium with a 1.1 mm italic. It's hard to believe that one can have that much fun for $15.

+1 on trying the pilot 78g B,I just received today this pen and it has been a great experience trying for the first time a stub... :rolleyes:

CPSC

Anaximander and especially Roger, THANK YOU for adding some stub examples! I got my first stub, a 0.9 mm Edison ground from a broad, last week. I couldn't decide if it was me, or if the nib wasn't quite right, or if I simply was expecting a CI instead of a more subtle writer. I changed inks, but still wasn't sure. After comparing my writing to these samples, however, I believe my nib is fine. I see variation in my writing with the stub compared to a broad, a medium, and a Binder Condor. I feel much better now!

Sharon in Indiana

Edited to say: tomorrow I will test the stub against my Binder CI; I can visualize the difference in my mind but I am really looking forward to seeing the real thing. I can hardly wait to get to work (only because the CI is somewhere on my desk!).

Edited by sharonspens

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

Roger - I love that Waterman stub! And the ink is gorgeous too.

thanks everyone for the useful feedback.