• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mdbrown

• olivier78860

• jslallar

• Garageboy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone have side by side comparison pics? Thanks!

I've had both and definitely side for the Expert I. It's the perfect weight, not heavy like the II. It just feels better.

• 1 year later...

They look very much the same. The difference is the Expert I is a plastic bodied pen while the Expert II is a lacquer over brass pen body. Insofar as I know they are identical otherwise.

I've never had an Expert I, but absolutely love my Expert II...great weight, quality and feel in my hand. I know that may not help too much, but I wanted to share good words about this very nice and under appreciated fountain pen.

"There is not one blade of grass, there is no color in this world that is not intended to make us rejoice." -John Calvin

here is a review of the expert 1 I did a while ago https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=97392

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I find no flex on my Expert 1s. They pretty stiff. I do love the broad nib...I'd say that it's one of the best nibs in my collection!

I have only used my Expert II. My Expert I is a cinema commemorative edition and I have never inked it. There is a huge difference in weight though. I prefer a heavier pen so I like the Expert II quite a bit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry to post in such an old thread. Can someone explain the exact differences between expert I and expert II. I have an expert pen and would like to know what version do I have. Thanks.

the pictures say it all. Very similar but not the same. Barrels and caps are not interchangeable.

Enjoy your pens

Have a nice day

Junaid

• 2 weeks later...

i wanted to get suggestions on where to look for nibs for the Expert. I have an Expert II fountain and I bought it with a medium nib. I would like to buy an fine nib (maybe even an extra fine) to try, and then possibly have re-ground to italic. The only place I've looked is on ebay, but the nibs are around $50 which is dangerously close to what I paid for the entire pen!

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

"Todo reflejo al llegar al punto final recuerda su origen" Jose Manuel Aguilera

• 1 month later...

Sorry to post in such an old thread. Can someone explain the exact differences between expert I and expert II. I have an expert pen and would like to know what version do I have. Thanks.

the pictures say it all. Very similar but not the same. Barrels and caps are not interchangeable.

Hello...thanks for the pictures...which pen is the Expert 1 and Expert 2 in each picture?

The Blue pen is the E1.

I used to think that the E1s did not have "Waterman" on the cap band but I'm not sure now that is 100% correct. The best way to ID the E1 on The Bay is a half way decent pic of the nib.

Therein lies your best proof.

Bruce in Ocala, FL-not a expert but knows a little about them

The Expert I is the one with the little piece of plastic going through the nib. There's a W underneath the clip, and Waterman Paris is written on the other side of the diameter. Which is a bit more classier than just Waterman on the front and France on the opposite of the diameter, in my opinion.

I have had my Expert I (fine) since 1994 and I simply love it. This has been my favorite pen for a long while, even after I bought my MB149.

I bought an Expert II (fine also) last year but the charm is different.

The II is heavier (metal body versus plastic body for the I) and the nib is soooo common-looking.

The golden ornaments on the base of the cap, on the II, are flat, when they are more like thoroids (donuts ? ;) )on the I.

The II is slightly thiner, both body and cap, maybe a 1.5-2 millimeters difference in diameter.

Also, that little golden oval on the top of the cap looks so cheap, in my opinion, that the platic-formed W on the top of the I is far better-looking.

Both are well-balanced and good writers, but for the reasons above, I strongly prefer the I.

If anyone knows where I could find a brand new I nib, I'd be delighted to order one, to have a spare for my I. After the years (and due to an ink stain that hasn't been cleaned during the 5-6 years I haven't used the pen, now some of that goldy color has gone).

I think if I could find a brand new I with fine nib, in that dark blue plastic, I'd just buy it.

Edited by olivier78860

http://i.imgur.com/bZFLPKY.jpg

Hello...thanks for the pictures...which pen is the Expert 1 and Expert 2 in each picture?

Hello

Silly of me. I shouold have labelled them.

E I is the Navy Blue one with black plastic cap top, slightly thicker, nib (M) is tent shaped on cut section with a silver rib on the top witha a biggish hole in the center and the sloping sides are gold covered.

E II is the black on, slightly thinner but heavier, gold W on the cap top, Waterman Paris between two gold trims on cap lip, and two toned nib (M) with a gold proximal part and steel distal (tip) part, and a half circle boundary between the two in the center of the nib.

For balance I like the E II (I like heavier pens) but the nib of the E I is one of the smoothest I have used. I would buy another E I anyday. Given a choice for the same price I would probably go for a Cross Townsend or a Sheaffer Targa instead of the E II ($90 - 150). But thats me.

Regards.

Enjoy your pens

Have a nice day

Junaid

It's funny, reading your description, there are little differences between your E II and mine (the W on the the top of the cap, and the print on the cap's base).

So I suppose the II had several lives.

And I agree with you, after inking both again, the I is a tad smoother indeed.

http://i.imgur.com/bZFLPKY.jpg

• 5 years later...

Hello,

I only have the Waterman Expert I. I don't know how to date it.

It has a medium nib.

It writes beautifully.

Se pictures attached. I own a black one, but the pictures do not belong to mine.

Cheers,

post-137214-0-53745900-1497376925_thumb.jpg

post-137214-0-38103700-1497376979_thumb.jpg

post-137214-0-28613300-1497376993_thumb.jpg