• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Silvermink

• Tumbleweedtoo

• Pen2009

• Chthulhu

I had one of the Lamy Studio pens that has the metal grip (there are versions of that pen that don't have it). I found that pen very hard to write with. I felt like I had to grip the pen harder to avoid slippage, which of course meant serious hand fatigue.

I had the same experience with Lamy Studio. I don't mind the metal section on Lamy 2000 and Visconti Wall Street.

I have a Lamy brushed steel with a metal section, and I find it no slippery at all... honestly I don't see why a metal section should be more slippery than a plastic one apart for the weight...

I guess that in this field, as always in the pendom, the YMMV rule must be applied!

Ciao,

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

I find that the actual metal can make a big difference for me. Polished, shiny chrome/stainless steel are harder for me to grip (Ex- Visconti Van Gogh) as opposed to rhodium, silver, or brushed steel sections (Ex- Pelikan M625, GrafVon Faber Castell Guilloche rhodium) which I find to be more "sticky".

Generally, I don't care for the smooth, shiny metal grip sections, either, because most of the time either I find my fingers slipping down the grip, or I just can't stand the fingerprints left behind. Thankfully, one of my most favorite pens came with an extra rubberized section... I have a Pearl White Lamy Studio I bought second hand here and it is one of my absolute favorite writers. The previous owner didn't care for the metal section, either, and somehow acquired an additional rubberized grip section which was installed on the pen when I received it (the metal section was also in the box). I consider myself very fortunate because this is by far the best combination for me. It has taken the Studio from a nice pen to my favorite's list. :)

• 4 years later...

I too dislike shiny metal sections. I think it could be because I have worn my fingerprints almost smooth.

Rather than waste pens which are otherwise good writers I found a workaround which may not be for the purists but it is cheap and it works. Buy a bag of those skinny balloons that are used for twisting into animals. I found them at the dollar store. Cut a short strip off one to the length you want and pull it on to the section. I could only find a bag of coloured balloons and used a matching colour but I am on the lookout for black ones which would be more aesthetically pleasing. In some cases it makes the cap fit a little snugly but so far no other problems. Cheap fix at $1.

I am just hard to please on this issue, I guess. The majority of my pens are fine sections as far as grip is concerned. I do not like the metal sections. I think I imagine that they are slippery or may be it is just that I expect them to feel slippery. When I write with one, I find myself constantly adjusting my grip. I have a no-name modern pen that I got in a box of pens at a garage sale that has a spongy material covering the section. One would think that I'd love that, but I hate it. I am just hard to please on this issue, I guess.

-David.

No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery. -Anon.

A backward poet writes inverse. -Anon.

I have no problems whatsoever with metal sections. When I examine my finger grip it would appear that I am more cradling the pen than actually gripping it. Of my favourite pens, the Lamy 2000 and a couple of Viscontis have metal sections and in every case I could write for days without a problem.

Pens and paper everywhere, yet all our hearts did sink,

Pens and paper everywhere, but not a drop of ink.

"Cursive writing does not mean what I think it does"

I agree. Wood and plastic are warmer in the hand. After all, they and we are "organic" .Still, I don't have trouble with

metal sections. My use of a fountain pen does not require a "firm" grip. It's not a ballpoint pen. I can write with a relaxed,

fingers-extended grip.

So, changing one's grip is one solution. A touch of "tacky" paste (like cashiers us in counting money) on the fingers is

another remedy.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !