Pilot Capless

MT4

Hi,

I've got my first Pilot Capless. Great pen (up to now, that is. I've only got it for a few hours!), still trying to get confortable with it. It seems that there is a piece missing (the one labeled as "shutter" in this drawing http://riverapens.home.mindspring.com/Vani...ossSection.jpg). Just in case I can't get one: Is there someone around with a picture of it? How is it attached to the barrel?

Another problem I've got is that it seems to be leaking. Not 100% sure yet, I might have done wrong when I filled it. But even in case it wasn't me, I should be able to figure this out (BTW: Anyone around has step-by-step instructions on how to disassemble it?)

Rgds.

Martin

In case of emergency: Just shout loud and run as fast as you can.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lafeyplumas/ group for enthusiasts in Argentina. Subscription is moderated, messages aren't.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MT4

• Siv

• ZeissIkon

• TheHOINK

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your link isn't working, but I'm pretty certain you're going to be disappointed in that pen if it's missing the shutter -- you'll have the nib exposed to air at all times, and it'll dry out in your pocket. Just to be sure -- the shutter should cover the nib when you retract the point (as to put the pen in a pocket etc.). Is yours not appearing at that juncture?

Does not always write loving messages.

Does not always foot up columns correctly.

Does not always sign big checks.

Aloha-he...

The Shutter, or "trapdoor"... look at the pen from the front, when you are pushing the nib out.

Take a close look, your normally never see it, just when looking at the pen from the front.

It will be pushed down by the nibs feed and will go up and close again after the nib retracts.

Hope it helps. It dows not need to be attached to the barrel, it is included already, mounted, and I am sure you already "used" it a hundred of times without kowing, so to speak, two times by each time "opening and retracting" the nib.

TheHOINK

This is the life we chose, the life we lead... and there is... only... one guarantee. ... None of us will see heaven!

Happiness is not defined by what maximum you can afford, but by which minimum you are satisfied.

I have seen cases (indeed, on my own pens) where the spring that holds the shutter closed breaks. Some are a small coil spring, other pens use a flat spring. But if you're looking at the pen with the clip up, the pen will always look open.

Hold the pen upside down (clip down) and look at the end of the pen. If the shutter is there, but the spring is missing, it should fall closed. If the shutter itself is missing (and it can happen) then the end of the pen will remain open. If the former, while a royal pain, it can be repaired. If the later.... Look for a new "cap."

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Your link isn't working, but I'm pretty certain you're going to be disappointed in that pen if it's missing the shutter -- you'll have the nib exposed to air at all times, and it'll dry out in your pocket. Just to be sure -- the shutter should cover the nib when you retract the point (as to put the pen in a pocket etc.). Is yours not appearing at that juncture?

Yes: No shutter covers the nib when it is inside. When disassembling the unit it has: Outer barrel (the one with the clip), a spring with a collar, and a little rubber ring with a "lip" (where the nib slips when going from inside out and vice-versa). Right link is the here. When disassembled, you can look freely through the top hole, so ... There is no shutter at all! Any suggestion?

Thanks.

Martin

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lafeyplumas/ group for enthusiasts in Argentina. Subscription is moderated, messages aren't.

Please try to contact your seller or Pilot Company directly.

This sounds like a manufacturing error.

I would not bother fuddling around with it for yourself.

When the nib is not protected by a shutter, it will dry out, so the pen needs to be exchanged, at least I believe so.

Just as far as I understand, there is a vital part of your pen missing.

So please consider it a mistake in production.

This is the life we chose, the life we lead... and there is... only... one guarantee. ... None of us will see heaven!

Happiness is not defined by what maximum you can afford, but by which minimum you are satisfied.

Please try to contact your seller or Pilot Company directly.

This sounds like a manufacturing error.

I would not bother fuddling around with it for yourself.

When the nib is not protected by a shutter, it will dry out, so the pen needs to be exchanged, at least I believe so.

Just as far as I understand, there is a vital part of your pen missing.

So please consider it a mistake in production.

Thanks. I should have stated clearer that this was bought secondhand. I have been looking for one of these for a while, so just getting another "cap" is not an easy option either. I will try to find a local representative here and, if not, will juggle with this the best I can. Even in the worst case, it will be a learning experience...

Thanks again.

Martin

Anyone around there has a picture or even know which material is the shuter's "door"? Should't be a hard one, as the nib touches it every time it goes through...

Thanks

Martin

Was just about to go to bed when I took one last look at recent posts.

I figured out your Link had one too many characters in it, that's why it wasn't working.

I fixed it and this one should work for you now.

http://riverapens.home.mindspring.com/Vani...rossSection.jpg

Or better yet, I'll just try to place an embed image for you here...

http://riverapens.home.mindspring.com/Vanishing_Point_images/CaplessCrossSection.jpg

You can't always easily see the "Shutter" in you pen, the one shown in the drawing, as they're set back from the front a bit [hiding in the shadows of the front or the "Head" area] and not right at the end.

P.S.; BTW, they are made of metal, I believe, not to worry as they all seem like extremely well designed pens and I'm pretty certain they're usually made to last, if the "Shutter" is not lost that is, should not cause damage to nib tips although I too have only recently gotten my very first VP as well, still learning too.

I don't have any macros of mine, yet, but I have seen them posted on FPN, just at the moment no idea where and going to bed.

If you can't find one, and if no one else posts or Links to one, I'll see what I can do later when I get more time [and sleep].

EDITED: for mistakes made, sorry, should have been in bed nearly 2 hours ago.

Edited by Inka

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

Given that neither Pilot USA (original withstander of my pen's warranty) nor the local representative have given an answer yet, I am just juggling with a couple of ideas on what to do to this pen wihtout damaging anything. I am attaching a couple of images: One is the disassembled pen. Nothing had to be unscrewed, unsticked, unlocked, or anything. You just pull slightly the spring and it comes out.post-4069-1251217973_thumb.jpg

The next one is a detail view of the rubber piece. My guess is that the "shutter" just seals over the external "lip (2)" of this seal (when the nib is inside the pen) and places in slit 1 when it opens. Not sure about it, just what I guess looking at the shape of what I have.

post-4069-1251217991_thumb.jpg

As I am most probably not going to be able to duplicate the shutter, what I was thinking about is the following:

post-4069-1251218006_thumb.jpg

Make either a closed ring or an open one, where this rubber piece can be tightly placed inside (maybe even shellacked). This must be made out of the thinnest possible firm material (maybe a soda can...). I have marked the piece with a "1" in the drawing. A thin rubber disk should be cut and sticked inside the same ring (marked with "2" in the drawing). Slits should be cut on the disk (my best option right now should be the "a" one, but other ones might perform better). Though this disk would push the rubber assembly through the hole in the pen, the rigid ring should prevent it to do so.

Any other suggestions?

Feel free to give me your opinion, I am quite far from being an expert and this is my first capless. And please forgive me for my poor drawing ability!!

Martin

If the capless is sold in Argentina then contact the local repair center - I'm sure they can fix it for you without much problem (in fact most times I've heard they just replace the pen).

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

When the nib and feed push through your rubber curtain, they will (guaranteed) leave ink on it, which will then cause trouble of one sort or another. I'd suggest posting in the Marketplace for a junker capless body to pull a good shutter unit out of.

Does not always write loving messages.

Does not always foot up columns correctly.

Does not always sign big checks.

If the capless is sold in Argentina then contact the local repair center - I'm sure they can fix it for you without much problem (in fact most times I've heard they just replace the pen).

Yes, I have bought it here but second-hand. I am not really sure of where it came from, it might have been bought brand new in the US.

I have to pay a visit to the local representative (Pelikan Argentina) yet, before trying anything else. But I somehow have the impression that they are not going to give me an easy solution.

Thanks anyway.

Martin

When the nib and feed push through your rubber curtain, they will (guaranteed) leave ink on it, which will then cause trouble of one sort or another. I'd suggest posting in the Marketplace for a junker capless body to pull a good shutter unit out of.

Hi Zeiss Ikon,

Yes, there would certainly be some ink kept in the curtain, whatever the design I choose. The original shutter would get stained too, I guess (though not 100% sure about it). For those of us who don't live wihtin ConUS, buying small (and not so expensive) thigs might be tricky. Most of the times there is no trouble at all, but it has happened that Customs people become picky (or greedy!) and goods just don't reach you, or shipping charges are too high compared to your buy, or others. On expensive things, even if they are also tricky, they might be worth the try.

Of course I would prefer to change the part straight away. If I can get it easily (and not too expensive!) either from either local Pilot/Namiki representative or someone else, I would prefer to do so. If not, I will start with my own solutions, even if they look crazy elsewhere in the world!

Thanks anyway.

Martin

Although the diagram doesn't show this clearly, the Shutter edge on my VP has a rolled-over edge, which rides gently under the nib as a bearing surface.

Ideally it would be best to get a replacement Shutter, if not for this reason alone, as you already know, if at all possible where you are.

I’ll keep trying to help you find one, closer to where you live, but so far it’s not looking very promising on my end.

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

Although the diagram doesn't show this clearly, the Shutter edge on my VP has a rolled-over edge, which rides gently under the nib as a bearing surface.

Ideally it would be best to get a replacement Shutter, if not for this reason alone, as you already know, if at all possible where you are.

I’ll keep trying to help you find one, closer to where you live, but so far it’s not looking very promising on my end.

I haven't had much success in the FPN marketplace while looking for the whole pen, spare parts should be even harder!! Right now, I have the impression that the local representatives migh be of a better source, but who knows.

Rgds.

Martin

Hi all,

I'm planning to got to local representative's tomorrow. Just in case they don't provide me with a suitable answer, does anyone know how to disassemble the blue part from the chrome one? Is it glued, welded, screwed? This might ease quite a bit my task.

Thanks to all in advance.

Martin

I'm back!!

As I was expecting, the local representative can't fix this. He can provide a new "front section" for me, but has already anticipated that this will cost me more than a whole pen itself.

I have been trying to perform my "home repair", with little success up to now. If you try to make this "courtain" on the back of the rubber piece (and I can anticipate you that this rubber is difficult to glue!) the hole is so tight that it leaves no space for the nib+feed assembly to go outside. So I have tried to do something similar in front of it, but it is difficult to get a nice seal.

Does anyone know how to remove the front (chrome) part with the clip from the colour one? This would be a great help.

Rgds.

Martin

Have a look at this thread. There are schematics and cutaways show from a visit to the Pilot Pen Station. You may be able to work it out from these...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

Have a look at this thread. There are schematics and cutaways show from a visit to the Pilot Pen Station. You may be able to work it out from these...

Thanks a lot! I hadn't yet noticed this post. The FPN is so big and active that I just focus in a couple of the sub-fora. I'll try to get a better look at home, but as far as I can see here, it is not clear how the chrome part is attached to the colour one: Glued (and, if so, which adhesive has been used), friction fitted, screwed, locked?

Even if I can't figure this out, the post in your link is a fantastic reference!

Thanks again.

Martin