Quill Holder

rajayne

This is my newly made quill holder. I guess if you have a quill, you must need a quill holder.

Note the inlay in the back rest. I cut it from an abalone shell I bought at a ...yes, garage sale, a few years ago. It is actually very nice looking abalone inlay. I originally made that part as a practice for doing inlay and cutting a usable piece from the abalone shell. I inlayed the abalone in a piece of rosewood but didn't know what to do with it. So I decided to make a quill holder so I had a place to put the abalone. The wood is rosewood with a lacquer finish.

This is the end product

http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt122/rajayne/Quillholder-1.jpg

Since I didn't have a quill, I had to use an old Scheaffer fountain pen.

http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt122/rajayne/QuillHolder3-1.jpg

I hope the images are visible and I hope you like it.

Rick

Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rajayne

• pen2paper

• Seville

• Mangrove

visible and lovely!

suggest you trade the Higgens bottle in the middle, and which entirely covers your inlay..

for 2 bottles of either Caran d'Ache, or Visconti, placed on the sides..

+1

Philip

www.scriptusinc.com

What a very lovely piece of work! I agree with the ink bottle on the side suggestion. Why cover the lovely piece of shell?

Keep up the good work! :)

What a very lovely piece of work! I agree with the ink bottle on the side suggestion. Why cover the lovely piece of shell?

Keep up the good work! :)

My daughter stopped by to give me a gift for my new quill holder... it was a quill :rolleyes: .... here is what it looks like now..

http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt122/rajayne/Quill%20and%20Ink/QuillandInk2-1.jpg

It's nothing fancy.. but it is nicer than what I had.. and the quill works very well too. What a good daughter!

Rick

My daughter stopped by to give me a gift for my new quill holder... it was a quill :rolleyes: .... here is what it looks like now..

http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt122/rajayne/Quill%20and%20Ink/QuillandInk2-1.jpg

It's nothing fancy.. but it is nicer than what I had.. and the quill works very well too. What a good daughter!

Rick

Looking good, REALLY good!

I especially like the new glass dip-pen, have always liked the ones with the swirled glass tips that increase the surface area holding ink, compared to the straight-cut lined tips.

That glass dip-pen appears to have a cross-hatch pattern, almost like a pineapple, instead of the straight cut or swirl patterns I've seen [my wife calls the swirled tips “Unicorn horn” tips] extra nice looking!

The two ink bottles to the sides add a unique vintage look as well, can't fully make out what they are [one to the left looks fake, but the one marked "Indigo" on the right appears to have an orange-wax-sealed stopper?

Beautiful work there, love the Abalone shell in the backdrop too, as I have a very old antique Sterling Silver mens' ring with Pacific area Abalone set into a gorgeous leaf and vine pattern in the ring top.

Definitely a sweetheart of a daughter you have there, to give you such nice things to compliment your already fine work!

:thumbup: :thumbup:

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

Rick

Looking good, REALLY good!

I especially like the new glass dip-pen, have always liked the ones with the swirled glass tips that increase the surface area holding ink, compared to the straight-cut lined tips.

That glass dip-pen appears to have a cross-hatch pattern, almost like a pineapple, instead of the straight cut or swirl patterns I've seen [my wife calls the swirled tips “Unicorn horn” tips] extra nice looking!

The two ink bottles to the sides add a unique vintage look as well, can't fully make out what they are [one to the left looks fake, but the one marked "Indigo" on the right appears to have an orange-wax-sealed stopper?

Beautiful work there, love the Abalone shell in the backdrop too, as I have a very old antique Sterling Silver mens' ring with Pacific area Abalone set into a gorgeous leaf and vine pattern in the ring top.

Definitely a sweetheart of a daughter you have there, to give you such nice things to compliment your already fine work!

:thumbup: :thumbup:

The glass dip-pen does have a swirl pattern for ink tensioning. It looks like pineapple crosshatch because you can see through it to the groves on the other side. The ink bottles came with the dip-pen in a nice box. The bottle on the left is empty and is used to put the color/type ink you want to use with the pen. I'm sure you knew that. Abalone can be really beautiful if you get a shell that has the colors as the one I used. I have other abalone shells that are a different species and has different colors...more of a yellow and green without the reds and blues....still nice but can't compare with the kind with more colors.

And thank you for the reference to my daughter. She is truly a sweethart. B)