Stipula Baracca FP in B

chumpowie

Shown is the Stipula Baracca fountain pen. Designed by W. Boattini ( la Nuova stilografica, Forli) for Stipula. Comparable in size but slightly smaller than a Tibaldi Iride, the pen is black ebonite, sterling silver trim, 18k gold nib in B. Sleeve filler or cartridge/convertor, included . The package commemorates the W.W.I. Flying Ace Francesco Baracca born in 1888 and died at 30 in battle. My dip test yielded the smooth responsive nib one would expect from Stipula. Not just another pretty face.

Box is shaped as a drop tube with a band of the Italian flag colors, a replica of those used by W.W.I. Aviators to deliver messages to ground troops. No. 241 of 888 pens, the pen in dipped only condition (mint), a large olive pen wallet in wool, the booklet, converter and outer box. One of the more interesting and elaborate presentations I’ve had. There is no lithograph with the pen.

The cap bears a sharp recessed image of a griffin and a horse rampant on either side of the cap. The horse rampant is identical to the Ferrari logo, the only other legitimate use (and origin) of that image as described below:

The horse was originally the symbol of Count Francesco Baracca, a legendary “asso” (ace) of the Italian air force during World War I, who painted it on the fuselage of his planes. Baracca died very young on June 19, 1918, shot down on Mount Montello after 34 victorious duels and many team victories. He was the Italian ace of aces and he soon became a national hero. Baracca had wanted the prancing horse on his planes because his squad, the “Battaglione Aviatori”, was enrolled in a Cavalry regiment (air forces were at their first years of life and had no separate administration), and also because he himself was reputed to be the best cavaliere of his team. The Scuderia Ferrari logo Coat of Arms of the City of Stuttgart. It has been supposed that the choice of a horse was perhaps partly due to the fact that his noble family was known for having plenty of horses in their estates at Lugo di Romagna. Another theory suggests Baracca copied the rampant horse design from a shot down German pilot having the emblem of the city of Stuttgart on his plane.

On June 17, 1923, Enzo Ferrari won a race at the Savio track in Ravenna, and there he met the Countess Paolina, mother of Baracca. The Countess suggested that he might use the horse on his cars, suggesting that it would grant him good luck, but it the first race at which Alfa would let him use the horse on Scuderia cars was eleven years later, at SPA 24 Hours in 1932. Ferrari won.

Ferrari left the horse black as it had been on Baracca’s plane; however, he added the canary yellow background because it was the symbolic color of his birthplace, Modena. The prancing horse has not always identified the Ferrari brand only: Fabio Taglioni used it on his Ducati motorbikes.

IF you know Ferrari owners, this pen would make a great gift.

$685 OBO mailed within the CONUS or at cost elsewhere.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chumpowie

• KenS

Shown is the Stipula Baracca fountain pen. Designed by W. Boattini ( la Nuova stilografica, Forli) for Stipula. Comparable in size but slightly smaller than a Tibaldi Iride, the pen is black ebonite, sterling silver trim, 18k gold nib in B. Sleeve filler or cartridge/convertor, included . The package commemorates the W.W.I. Flying Ace Francesco Baracca born in 1888 and died at 30 in battle. My dip test yielded the smooth responsive nib one would expect from Stipula. Not just another pretty face.

Box is shaped as a drop tube with a band of the Italian flag colors, a replica of those used by W.W.I. Aviators to deliver messages to ground troops. No. 241 of 888 pens, the pen in dipped only condition (mint), a large olive pen wallet in wool, the booklet, converter and outer box. One of the more interesting and elaborate presentations I’ve had. There is no lithograph with the pen.

The cap bears a sharp recessed image of a griffin and a horse rampant on either side of the cap. The horse rampant is identical to the Ferrari logo, the only other legitimate use (and origin) of that image as described below:

The horse was originally the symbol of Count Francesco Baracca, a legendary “asso” (ace) of the Italian air force during World War I, who painted it on the fuselage of his planes. Baracca died very young on June 19, 1918, shot down on Mount Montello after 34 victorious duels and many team victories. He was the Italian ace of aces and he soon became a national hero. Baracca had wanted the prancing horse on his planes because his squad, the “Battaglione Aviatori”, was enrolled in a Cavalry regiment (air forces were at their first years of life and had no separate administration), and also because he himself was reputed to be the best cavaliere of his team. The Scuderia Ferrari logo Coat of Arms of the City of Stuttgart. It has been supposed that the choice of a horse was perhaps partly due to the fact that his noble family was known for having plenty of horses in their estates at Lugo di Romagna. Another theory suggests Baracca copied the rampant horse design from a shot down German pilot having the emblem of the city of Stuttgart on his plane.

On June 17, 1923, Enzo Ferrari won a race at the Savio track in Ravenna, and there he met the Countess Paolina, mother of Baracca. The Countess suggested that he might use the horse on his cars, suggesting that it would grant him good luck, but it the first race at which Alfa would let him use the horse on Scuderia cars was eleven years later, at SPA 24 Hours in 1932. Ferrari won.

Ferrari left the horse black as it had been on Baracca’s plane; however, he added the canary yellow background because it was the symbolic color of his birthplace, Modena. The prancing horse has not always identified the Ferrari brand only: Fabio Taglioni used it on his Ducati motorbikes.

PRICE REDUCED to $645

Removed to Ebay

Happy Biiiiidding

Removed to Ebay

Happy Biiiiidding

I'm surprised there were no nibbles on this one. IMO the Baracca is one of the most elegant pens made. I like them so much that I bought a spare just in case something happened to my first one.

Ken.

Removed to Ebay

Happy Biiiiidding

I'm surprised there were no nibbles on this one. IMO the Baracca is one of the most elegant pens made. I like them so much that I bought a spare just in case something happened to my first one.

Ken.

Thanks for the positive comment....I am a little surprised myself. I certainly wasn't going to give it away but perhaps that what was holding people back.

I am selling 'cause I bought a Stipula with a preferred nib and this became surplus.

Regards,

Dave