Cross HQ Store Lincoln R.I.

GARY UK

Well, I'm back from my Boston trip (holiday and to visit my sponsors @ the Zildjian cymbal factory) when there I also made a trip to the CROSS HQ. I figured as we were so close and we had car hire, lets go! We were not dissapointed :puddle: The manager (lovely lady called Deb) helped with questions and purchases. I bought a nice leather cross pen case for $5, some small cross note pads for 25c each,a letter opener for $8,some refills etc.

There were a few made in US and Ireland pens and the rest were new products. The shop is well stocked with a few bargains to be had :thumbup:

it was nice to also see the Cross HQ building, as a fan and user of over 12 years now, I have the book, the pens, rare cross pens and the visit added something special to my love of cross products :cloud9:

There were some large blue building very close to the main HQ building so not certain if that was the old Cross factory? :crybaby:

My love of cross continues :notworthy1:

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GARY UK

• Chazzozz

• wttlford

• smerdiakov

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Care to share pics of the leather pen case?

I saw the new leather pen cases and they look great, however, at about 50 dollars, the price is pretty steep, considering the great value of their pens.

That´s Paul Erdős on my avatar.

A man who symbolizes discipline.

English is not my first language, so please correct my mistakes, if you wish.

Care to share pics of the leather pen case?

I saw the new leather pen cases and they look great, however, at about 50 dollars, the price is pretty steep, considering the great value of their pens.

Here you go :thumbup:

post-25642-1240939358_thumb.jpg

Niiiiice! I've got a friend who lives in Providence, RI, so I've just got to convince him to make a pilgrimage on my behalf. :)

I write, therefore I...write a little more.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Well, I'm back from my Boston trip (holiday and to visit my sponsors @ the Zildjian cymbal factory) when there I also made a trip to the CROSS HQ. I figured as we were so close and we had car hire, lets go! We were not dissapointed :puddle: The manager (lovely lady called Deb) helped with questions and purchases. I bought a nice leather cross pen case for $5, some small cross note pads for 25c each,a letter opener for $8,some refills etc.

There were a few made in US and Ireland pens and the rest were new products. The shop is well stocked with a few bargains to be had :thumbup:

it was nice to also see the Cross HQ building, as a fan and user of over 12 years now, I have the book, the pens, rare cross pens and the visit added something special to my love of cross products :cloud9:

There were some large blue building very close to the main HQ building so not certain if that was the old Cross factory? :crybaby:

My love of cross continues :notworthy1:

Most of the old Cross building was demolished and rebuilt as "Albion Crossing" - a multi-tenant office space. The store is in what remains of the original building.

• 3 weeks later...

I was up in Providence a while back, but was unfortunately unable to make the side trip to the Cross HQ. :crybaby:

I travelled all over New England in a past life, when I did Fed law enforcement work. I had to chuckle whenver I went into a PD there, because inevitably every detective would have at least one Cross pen in his pocket. (The only guy who didn't was a big wheel in Boston who too notes during our meeting with a Parker International Duofold FP.)

"Here was a man who had said, with his wan smile, that once he realized that he would never be a protagonist, he decided to become, instead, an intelligent spectator, for there was no point in writing without serious motivation." - Casaubon referring to Belbo, Foucault's Pendulum.

• 1 year later...

I went to the Cross store in Lincoln, RI this afternoon and was deeply disappointed.

First, the nice young man who was the only sales person knew NOTHING about fountain pens in general, and Cross in particular.

Second, the selection was thin at best. Only a few of the less expensive pens, and a few "leftovers" from years gone by.

Third, he said he couldn't let me try out any of the pens.

Fourth, he wasn't aware that the nibs could be changed (!!!)

I will say, though, that they had tons of ridiculously cheap leather goods on sale--wonderful pen cases, notebooks, etc.

I'm going to order a bunch of pens through amazon and try them out when they arrive. They have such excellent return policies that I won't have trouble returning the pens I don't like.

Nina

• 1 month later...

As someone living in Rhode Island, the Cross factory store has been a regular stop for me over the years.

There is no question however, that the "flavor"changed dramatically when the actual factory shut down and manufacturing was moved to China

About the same time, the factory store itself moved from a small space in the corner of the factory building (since torn down and replaced by the new structure referred to above) to it's current location in the basement of the administration building.

The old space was just a relatively stark and dark room, with the product spread out haphazardly on picnic tables, in bins, or in cartons on the floor. Prices were just as haphazard. A Sterling Tennis Hall of Fame Ltd edition FP for $50, a Lapis or Jade Townsend FP for $45, most other Townsend FP's with gold nibs for $35, Gold filled BP's for $5 and the like. It was a bargain hunter's dream come true and I often walked out with three or four pens at a time. Anyone who ever visited during those years will know exactly what I'm talking about. I never saw one, but others have told me they purchased The 150th Anniversary Ltd edition FP there for $75 !! (I did see the Sterling BP though)

With the transfer to the new space, the decor has gone upscale and the prices for the writing instruments have gone up as well. For example, the Jade Townsend BP I purchased to complement my FP was now $60 instead of the $20 I could have gotten it for had I purchased it at the same time as the FP. The new space is airy and well lit and almost looks like a retail stationary store. There are still bargains to be had, especially on the leathers (as has been pointed out) but a large portion of the writing instrument inventory is now current production at full list price. Cross also bought out Native Eyewear as well as Costa del Sol and sunglasses under these logos are also on display - but at full retail.

I AM surprised at the lackluster experience with the people in the store referred to above. Every time I have gone, the store has been under the control of two women who are very knowledgable about Cross products. When I was trying to complete my collection of Pinnacles (needed the Sterling FP) I left my name and on my next trip they had managed to find one for me.

"Ink isn't dead...It just smells funny"