Nibmeister in London UK

kubalai

Anyone know of know London UK based nibmeisters?

Edited by kubalai

Sincerest Regards

Kubalai

“We are civilized people. We do not have to conduct ourselves like a slob."

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adyf

• Pen Nut

• kubalai

• lightweaver

Anyone know of know London UK based nibmeisters?

Don't know about London but I would like to find a good nibmeister anywhere in the UK. I have used two well known UK nibmeisters in the past and haven't been particularly satisfied with their work. I asked for a nib replacement on a Parker 51, adjust flow and tune etc and when it came back it wasn't very smooth. Decided to send it Richard Binder who told me that the nib was misshapen and required a regrind, imagine my dissappointment. Had a Pelikan M600 nib adjusted to increase flow, flow was fine when it came back but now it's a hard starter. If anyone could recommend somebody that I haven't used already I'd be willing to give them a try.

Has anyone tried Battersea Pen Home?

http://penhome.co.uk/

They claim to be pretty good, but I've never tried them. I'll be looking to send away my 51 this year as the nib is starting to skip and it looks as if it is out of alignment, was thinking about sending it to these guys.

Shame we have no Richard Binder in this part of the world

They cannot look out far.

They cannot look in deep.

But when was that ever a bar

To any watch they keep?

-- Robert Frost --

How about we fly to USA, gag and blindfold Richard and then fly him back to the UK!!

Sincerest Regards

Kubalai

“We are civilized people. We do not have to conduct ourselves like a slob."

As posted in another thread. Not far from London either. Ian

Hello,

I to was getting really fed up with massive custom charges on pens that were having nib work done in the USA and sourced a nib tuner here in the UK.

He has recently done a 0.6mm italic on my MontBlanc Charles Dickens and it really is spot on. Very reasonable charges as well.

Here is his e-mail address and please mention my name when replying.

j.f.sorowka@googlemail.com

I have no connections to him other than being a very satisfied customer.

Regards

Ian

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Hello,

I to was getting really fed up with massive custom charges on pens that were having nib work done in the USA and sourced a nib tuner here in the UK.

He has recently done a 0.6mm italic on my MontBlanc Charles Dickens and it really is spot on. Very reasonable charges as well.

Regards

Ian

What was the turnround time like Ian?

How about we fly to USA, gag and blindfold Richard and then fly him back to the UK!!

Sounds like a plan!! :ninja:

Has anyone tried Battersea Pen Home?

http://penhome.co.uk/

They claim to be pretty good, but I've never tried them. I'll be looking to send away my 51 this year as the nib is starting to skip and it looks as if it is out of alignment, was thinking about sending it to these guys.

Shame we have no Richard Binder in this part of the world

I'm positive I emailed them about a Parker 51 nib exchange quite some time ago. They insisted that the pen had to be serviced at the same time which would have added quite considerably to the cost.

Edited by adyf

Hello,

Regards

Ian

What was the turnround time like Ian?

Turnaround time is fantastic. Even at Christmas he managed a week from start to finish.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Hello,

Regards

Ian

Just sent an E-Mail to Mr. Sorowka and received a very rapid and detailed reply to my question concerning reprofiling my MB#146.

Many thanks for this contact.

N.

Hello,

Regards

Ian

Just sent an E-Mail to Mr. Sorowka and received a very rapid and detailed reply to my question concerning reprofiling my MB#146.

Many thanks for this contact.

N.

Hi,

Saw John in action at the London Penshow, certainly very impressive and seemed to be kept very busy (I had to leave before my turn came) made it all look very easy, still trying to decide if I want to risk trying some grinding myself (on something cheap and cheerful at least to start with).

Or maybe I will just decide what I want and mail him and get it done properly.

Andy

Edited by andyk

John is indeed very skilled, knowledgeable, and a real good egg :)

He's done some excellent regrinds and restorations for me.

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

THE REDCOATS ARE COMING! THE REDCOATS ARE COMING!!!

:roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho:

Hello,

Regards

Ian

Welll John's skills were one of the best kept pen secrets for a while in the UK, his amateur status now well shot.

The skill, knowledge and courtesy that he offers you will find very hard to better. If you do a search on the repair forum, his insights to some very obscure pen repairs and models, give you a feeling for his love of pens.

Eric

Forgot to add John posts as Oxonian on here and now believes that the data base of knowledge in the past posts of the repair forum answers most questions, but more than willing to help out if it does not answer a particular query which cannot be answered there.

Edited by eckiethump

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)

http://www.wesonline.org.uk/

• 4 months later...

I have had probably 30 nibs done by John. Superb work and a really nice gentleman. Do not think twice about using the Oxonian. Cheers

h

Hello,

Regards

Ian

Welll John's skills were one of the best kept pen secrets for a while in the UK, his amateur status now well shot.

The skill, knowledge and courtesy that he offers you will find very hard to better. If you do a search on the repair forum, his insights to some very obscure pen repairs and models, give you a feeling for his love of pens.

Eric

Forgot to add John posts as Oxonian on here and now believes that the data base of knowledge in the past posts of the repair forum answers most questions, but more than willing to help out if it does not answer a particular query which cannot be answered there.

I love John! A dear friend recently offered to pay for one of my nibs to be ground as a gift. John ground my VP broad nib into a crisp italic for me, and returned it with in a week. And I havent put it down since. His customer service and communications are second to none.

Highly recommended

Tawanda

Any chance he could move to Australia??? We have nobody that I am aware of........but why do you in UK pay customs duties on repairs going out and coming back?

You can take your pen to Customs before shipping it out, get it recorded, and then when it comes back you have proof that it was going for repair and return - no charge from Customs. they can only charge you for importing - not for sending stuff for work and return.

Anyone tried this yet?

Each day is the start of the rest of your life!

Make it count!!!