A super-pretty Sailor short pen!

Phthalo

I recently picked up this pretty little stainless steel Sailor pocket-pen, possibly from the late 1970's. 118mm / 4.6" capped, 138mm / 5.4" posted.

The intricate motif which has been perfectly machined all over the surface (leaving the polished steel in high relief), makes this Sailor a little bit unusual. The nib is a 18K White Gold Fine, which writes beautifully.

http://www.ciar-roisin.net/photos/jp/SailorShort01.jpg

Enjoy!

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Phthalo

• grasshopper

• MYU

• shalley

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Viewers should use the "click to view full image" in the black banner at the top of the image to really appreciate how nicely this is done. Intricate but restrained and very neat!

Dan

Gorgeous pen there, Laura. You MUST be thrilled with it. :D

I especially like that fact that the intricate motif is applied all over the pen, including the nib section. This is rather rare to see, perhaps because the capping of the pen would eventually cause wear to the nib section and thus mar the look of the pen. Still, it is made of stainless steel and perhaps the cap clutch is gentle enough not to cause scratches with careful use.

Would you be able to post a macro shot of the motif? I'd really like to see what it looks like up close. From a distance, the motif does appear a bit on the feminine side, but from what I can see the motif is more "arabic" looking than "flora" like. I hope I can nab one of these some day! :)

~Gary

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

What a gorgeous pen! Beautiful photo.

Holly Elizabeth Owens

ChaeyAhne

www.chaeyahne.com

www.heartofthewildsanctuary.org

Enchanted Quills on ETSY

Heart of the Wild American Senior Mustang Sanctuary & Advocate

Very nice. I like how the pen doesn't quite taper all the way down to match the girth of the nib. Interesting.

Would you mind me asking where you found this pen?

Here's a close-up of the motif. It's not floral, there are no flowers as such... the design has mostly leaves, vine, buds and berries amongst the scrolls. It's quite lovely... :)

http://www.ciar-roisin.net/photos/jp/SailorShort02.jpg

quosimosaurus: I was lucky enough to get this Sailor from Stan's sale. He said it's the first one like it that he's ever seen.

If anyone has seen another, I'd love to know more. :)

Laura / Phthalo

So you're the one who beat me to it, Laura!! :thumbup:

I was hoping that there would be nothing in Stan's sale that I would like so I deliberately checked my email later than usual that day. Ah well.

Many congratulations - it's a real beaut of a pen! Glad to know that you're the one who has this pretty little thing.

raf.

You can't always get what you want... but if you try sometimes... you just might find... you'll get what you need...

You know, I have a grey tie with an Indian mango shaped thingy pattern (yes I forgot what they're called, yes I'm too lazy to google it), that pen would go BRILLIANTLY with it!

Congrats on your very fhanchy new pen. As always your taste is impeccable.

No, I'm not sucking up, yes I am green with envy. Positively delightful pen.

Hi,

That's really pretty. The barrel looks a bit longer than a normal Sailor short pen barrel, the nib also doesn't look nearly as covered.

Quite a while back I got a bunch of flowered Sailor short pens from Stan. He's quite a good seller :)

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Looks like acid etching. Very nice! :)

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

Hey Raf! Darn! I don't like hearing I got it before you... it's always better when you don't know the person. ;) Fear not, I'll take very good care of it. :D

Laura / Phthalo

Beautiful pen! And that's a lovely vegetal design (I don't know if that's the official designation, I just like the word :lol: ).

:D Congratulations!

Simply stunning... a beauty.. and a Sailor too...

Thank you very much for sharing!

Now, more searching on the internet..

Hey Raf! Darn! I don't like hearing I got it before you... it's always better when you don't know the person. ;) Fear not, I'll take very good care of it. :D

Eh, no worries whatsoever! I know what you mean though about preferring not to know the other person, although for me, that tends to be more the case when I'm bidding on the dreaded bay. :wacko:

In this case, I'm glad to know that you have it, Laura and I have no doubt that you'll be using and taking special care of it. :thumbup:

If I remember to, whenever I have more time to spare next, I'll post a pic or 2 of the pocketpens that I currently have.

raf.

You can't always get what you want... but if you try sometimes... you just might find... you'll get what you need...

What are you talking about, man?? I think it matches my latest maxidress quite nicely, you know. :blink: :roller1:

But yes, thanks - I feel better already. ;) :D

raf.

Oh wow that is lovely lovely lovely. I wish they were still being made!