• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Romagno

• Sailor Kenshin

• superfreeka

• sargetalon

Same, about age 6.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Slow to catch on. Figured it out at age 29.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

10. Used dip pens from 6 to 10.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

53 or 54. If I ever even saw one before, except in pictures, it must have slipped my mind.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

23. It was just a few months ago, actually.

http://i.imgur.com/HkYlgTM.png

I was 21, it was a set I got for my birthday. I promptly forgot about it for about decade, and now I'm here. I think they're Sheaffer No Nonsense, they still work great and the one I had inked came out the box writing almost perfect. No nonsense indeed.

Grade 2, so about seven—a clear plastic Sheaffer school pen with a chrome cap and washable blue ink. The washable blue was deemed a necessity because of the white shirts of our school uniforms.

My first enocunter was totally negative.

My father had a lettering set (German-made, precision, green stencils with technical drawing pens in holders) with inks that, to an untrained 8 year-old, looked exactly like th inks in the drawer with his fountain pens. I had watched him fill his Sheaffer fountain pens with his bottls of Skrip ink so it was a simple deduction for me to fill his Sheaffers with the Indias and lacquers in the lettering set.

Then, forty years later, I found my wife's old Sheaffer school pens and old No Nonsense italic pens. That was about five years ago.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

Most likely around 8-9 years old it would have been 3rd grade in Texas 1967 or so.

Amos

The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Albert Einstein

I bought my own Esterbrook in high school (early 60's). Don't remember writing with a fountain pen before that (just pencils).

First authorized use: 8 years old, in school. Previous unauthorized use: 4 to 5 years old, whenever dip or fountain pens were left unguarded by my two aunts who were teachers.

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

I seem to remember having some sort of cartridge pen briefly when I was a kid. So probably somewhere around 8 or 10, maybe a little older (but by middle school I had switched over to primarily using Flair pens for writing; Rapidographs in college for drawing). Got back into FPs in my late 40s, with a pen to do journaling with. Then, in the past year, I've just gone (in my husband's opinion) completely wacko (I now have to sit down and actually count in my head as to how many pens I have when people ask me... :embarrassed_smile:).

Ruth Morrisson

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I think I was 10 years old when I started using them regularly in school.

Otherwise, I had been fiddling with my Dad's pen when I was even younger.

Inglourious Basterds...