Parker Falcon P50

antoniosz

The falcon P50 is the second model in Parker's line with an integral nib (the nib and section is one body) after the more famous (and more expensive) T-1. It was produced for a very short period of time from 1978 to 1979. It is a light pen - a bit slimmer (at 10.3mm) than the P45. The integral nib is not appreciated by the repair community as it makes repairs difficult, but I find the style very appealing.

There are two types of section/nibs. A silver colored one that appears in the flighter, blue and black models and a "brown" one that appears in the brown and gold models. The sections are roughened and this helps in usage (altough they are metallic - they do not slip). The brown and gold specimens in my collection have slightly different colored sections - perhaps different level/conditions of anodization of the surface - but I am not sure if this is systematic.

It appears that there are two type of clips: one with feathers (blue in the picture) and and one without (all others in the picture). The picture below includes also two cap activated BPs (flighter and brown) which I enjoy with gel refills (herecy:o). In addition there is a mechanical pencil and a telephone dialer.

On ebay they tend to bring anywhere from $50-100. Any day I can get a Falcon for less than $50 I am a happy person ;) but of course e-bay has some risk. On the boards they go a bit higher ($80-$120). The black is the most uncommon color, but it can be found listed in couple of internet outlets for $135-$150.

I believe these are the only models that exist, but I would happy to learn about other possible variants.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b325/azavalia/P50cap.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b325/azavalia/P50open.jpg

from www.parkerpens.net here is the telephone dialer.

http://www.parkerpens.net/bilder_pennor/50/falcon50dialer.gif

Edited by antoniosz

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• antoniosz

• Dillo

• roisnoir

• Glenn-SC

Nice collection Antonios! I've always been interested in the P50, but never knew it came in other variants than all stainless steel. Darn You!!! Now I'll have to add one of those to the list! Although I do know of a local antique mall that has one for $875 (~ really). He apparently thinks he has a T-1. Yikes!

Best-

Brian

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

• 10 months later...

Hi,

Mine is similar to the one on the far left. :)

Anyway, I am still trying to figure out how the section stays together. My nib section came completely apart. :bonk:

I see that gasket there, and it is not really doing much.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

May I make a request for a photo (or description?) of the cap jewel?

If there is one, anyhow.

I have a steel Falcon, and I can't decide if the jewel is missing, or if the black ring is supposed to be that raised, and someone just got some sort of reddish gunk in the depression.

If it's supposed to be as it is, I'll leave it, but if not, I'd like to restore it somehow.

Hi,

The cap jewel just has a raised black ring. :)

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

• 9 months later...

I have #4 from the left.

As Dillo says, mine also just has the raised black plastic ring as the cap jewel.

It's near mint (no anti mint flamers please - ok excellent +) condition, and was acquired in a lot with 3 Esties for $35.00 some time ago. WooHoo...

Is stiff, and writes a little scratchy, although I haven't tried smoothing the nib yet.

Nice collection Antonios.

Gerry (grinning from ear to ear).

I have a SS fine point. The ball tip allows you to hold the pen almost in any direction and it still writes.

It is a bit dry, but the fine is what I would call a fine, unlike my 100, which runs a bit wide.

Really, really nice pen, especially if you want something light and slender.

-Bruce

I have a brown one that was missing the clip when I got it but it was a really smooth writer with a fine nib. I looked for a clip but had no luck. I have another P50 on its way to me now. I love flex in a nib but I really like the fine non-flex nibs in my 45, 51's, and 61's. I have been seldom dissatisfied with any parker I have owned.