Winter Is Coming... Will My Inks Freeze?

Crim

Do inks freeze at the same temp as water would? How worried should I be? I cant keep my house heated 24/7, and so when I'm not here all day it gets pretty cold.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Crim

• blopplop

• burningdarkness

• professionaldilettante

Top Posters In This Topic

Your inks should be fine. Just make sure to defrost them before use.

To my knowledge, ink should freeze at a lower temperature than water.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Dominic

Do inks freeze at the same temp as water would? How worried should I be? I cant keep my house heated 24/7, and so when I'm not here all day it gets pretty cold.

Wow, you let your house get to 32 degrees when you're not there? You must live in a very cold area.

Dave

Edited by blopplop

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

http://www.the-highw..._questions.html

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/blopplop/fpn-verm.jpg

If your house got to the point where it froze your inks, that would be the least of your worries. The thing is that inks have a lot of chemicals and such dissolved in it, and because of that, the freezing point of water based inks are lower than that of just pure water. If it were cold enough to freeze your inks, I would think that it'd be cold enough to freeze your pipes too, making your house a disaster when it thaws. SO I wouldn't worry about it. If it's warm enough so that your pipes don't freeze, then your inks should be OK.

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

As the other's have said. Unless it gets cold enough in your house to freeze the water in the pipes/in a glass on the bench then you're fine. But you may like to try the Noodlers Polar inks if you're worried.

"My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane." - Graham Greene

"The palest ink is better than the best memory." - Chinese Proverb

Wow, you let your house get to 32 degrees when you're not there? You must live in a very cold area.

Dave

It's cold enough for snow and such. I don't know HOW cold it gets in my apartment (sorry, didnt mean to say house) but I do know that I've seen oil become pretty cloudy and had things floating around in it. It's even worse in my room since I need to get the window replaced (it cracked a bit). I can't leave the heater on because it costs a fortune and there's no way to really regulate the temperature... just 3 settings. Off, "1" and "2".

Alright well hopefully I won't have any problems then. I don't think I've ever seen water frozen inside my apartment.

It's cold enough for snow and such. I don't know HOW cold it gets in my apartment (sorry, didnt mean to say house) but I do know that I've seen oil become pretty cloudy and had things floating around in it. It's even worse in my room since I need to get the window replaced (it cracked a bit). I can't leave the heater on because it costs a fortune and there's no way to really regulate the temperature... just 3 settings. Off, "1" and "2".

Alright well hopefully I won't have any problems then. I don't think I've ever seen water frozen inside my apartment.

If you're seriously worried about the ink freezing, you could probably rig some sort of box for the ink with a cheap night light inside for heat. (Not a night light that uses LED's, one that has a real very low wattage bulb.)

The only thing you gotta do is see that the closed bottle of ink is up to room temperature (15-25 °C) before opening it. w/a keep a bottle in bed with you. Then open it carfully, and withraw the ink into the pen.

Do not let the ink cool down to a basically colder temperture first, as this will condense water vapour into same and thus cause dilution.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

My experience is that temperature becomes a problem below about minus 15 C. A few minutes under my toque restores the pen to working condition. A bigger problem at low temperature is the drying time. It is possibly 2 or 3 times the drying time at room temperature.