Pilot 78G Cartridge?

DocNib

Greetings!

I have someone wanting to buy a std. Pilot squeeze converter from me but he says he has a 78G & it takes an International cartridge. I'm not familiar with Pilots taking an Int'l. cartridge...anybody know about the refills or converter for this pen?

Thanks!

DOC

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DocNib

• Silvermink

• Chthulhu

• olav

Greetings!

I have someone wanting to buy a std. Pilot squeeze converter from me but he says he has a 78G & it takes an International cartridge. I'm not familiar with Pilots taking an Int'l. cartridge...anybody know about the refills or converter for this pen?

Thanks!

DOC

I haven't tried it, but eBay seller pokydady (not affiliated) in his description (sells the pens without converter, but with cartridges) states "Din type ink cartridge", although the picture shows a package of Pilot labeled cartridges, and the cartridge does not appear to be an international type.

When my Pilot 78G runs out of ink, I'll try an international short cartridge in it and report back. I do know speerbob sells Pilot cartridges on his web site. Perhaps he could elucidate the matter.

Also, just received a Pilot 78G, with a Pilot Con-20 in a box to install. Have not inked it, or tried to install the converter, but that is the way it came from the seller.

Donnie

edited to add bit about Con-20

Edited by donwinn

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

I have a Pilot squeeze converter (the metal-covered kind) in my 78G. I got it from Speerbob.

Watermans Flex Club & Sheaffer Lifetime Society Member

Thanks Donnie & Pep!

I looked at some of pokydady's eBay auctions for the 78G, but must have missed the one showing the box of cartridges. That's the standard box for their proprietary cartridges, but I'm not familiar with the word "Din" in relation to their cartridges.

Next question is where are you guys coming up with the "Con" numbers. Con-20 would be the std. squeeze converter that Pep just mentioned? I've seen Con-20, Con-50 & Con-70...would that be squeeze, piston & pump? Confusion now reigns (or is it rains?)...medication time, I think!

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

DOC

I'm not familiar with Pilots taking an Int'l. cartridge...anybody know about the refills or converter for this pen?

Mostly I think the 78G takes a standard Pilot refill. A year ago or so I bought a Pilot off ebay that looks like a 78G pretty much - gold plated nib with "pilot super quality" or similar marking on the nib. It got shipped to me with an international, but that didn't fit, nor did a standard pilot. Finally I think it was somebody on pentrace but I managed to get some old pilot cartridges from the late 60s or so that did fit. I gather they were experimenting with the cartridge size before settling on the current standard.

Those cartridges were dry - I refilled one a couple times, but in all honesty the pen got to leaking. I don't know if even the cartridge I have is slightly off, or maybe the seal is just brittle or worn. At least I didn't spend too much on the pen!

SfA2F91.jpg

Thanks Donnie & Pep!

I looked at some of pokydady's eBay auctions for the 78G, but must have missed the one showing the box of cartridges. That's the standard box for their proprietary cartridges, but I'm not familiar with the word "Din" in relation to their cartridges.

Next question is where are you guys coming up with the "Con" numbers. Con-20 would be the std. squeeze converter that Pep just mentioned? I've seen Con-20, Con-50 & Con-70...would that be squeeze, piston & pump? Confusion now reigns (or is it rains?)...medication time, I think!

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

DOC

I got the Con-20 from the box which came with the pen. I know nothing about any other Pilot converters, because the 78G is the only one, aside from a 2A, which I am selling, and an Elite, which I sold (with its own mini-converter - the buyer got a bargain!) I have owned. I would like a Custom 742 or 843, but currently the most expensive pen I have purchased is a Parker 51 for $60, and funds are pretty limited. I'll put a Custom 742 and a Sailor 1911 full size on my birthday wish list for next month. My kids and I got my blushing bride an iPod for her birthday, so maybe a premium (for my budget) pen is in the cards for my birthday. :rolleyes:

Donnie

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

Con-20 would be the std. squeeze converter that Pep just mentioned? I've seen Con-20, Con-50 & Con-70...would that be squeeze, piston & pump?

Right. The danger is that they get bigger as the number goes up. E.g. a CON-20 fits in a Myurex but a CON-50 won't. I think the CON-50 goes in the VP but not the CON-70. The CON-70 goes in e.g. Custom 742, 845, etc. A CON-20 will go in an Elite as well - nothing special needed - and also in the 78G.

SfA2F91.jpg

Greetings!

Thanks!

DOC

Pilot did produce a number of 78Gs which take international cartridges; they must have been destined for the European market. FPN member Samovar sold a number here before moving to Japan (I got two of them).

That is my understanding.

Mine takes the standard Pilot ink cartridge.

There was a production run that was changed to take the International cartridge.

YMMV

Hi,

I did get a number of 78g which take international cartridges. I have some left, but since I have moved to Japan, I've been really busy teaching in 5 rural schools in the middle of nowhere.

I bought the pen in Europe a while back. They will take a Waterman converter and regular long and short international cartridges.

I will put some new pen on sale in a near future.

Greetings!

Thanks!

DOC

Pilot did produce a number of 78Gs which take international cartridges; they must have been destined for the European market. FPN member Samovar sold a number here before moving to Japan (I got two of them).

Thanks to all who answered my question yesterday! Isn't it nice to ask a question & get civil answers back (and learn new things)? Problem solved...

Best,

DOC

PS--Just found out I have the start of a 3rd herniated disc in my lower back from the car accident I was in...so the pleasant responses in this forum are quite theraputic (THANK YOU!)!

• 4 months later...

I have two Pilot 78G pens. I removed the squeeze converters and wanted to substitute CON-20 converters, since, according to some of the posts in this thread, they would fit. They do not. They simply are too small. They do not seat securely in the section.

http://home.earthlink.net/~athanatos/John-Sig%203.png

"Let those who don't want none

have memories of not gettin' any."

—Bro. David Gardner

I have two Pilot 78G pens. I removed the squeeze converters and wanted to substitute CON-20 converters, since, according to some of the posts in this thread, they would fit. They do not. They simply are too small. They do not seat securely in the section.

I was unhappy with the supplied squeeze converter because it didn't have enough capacity. My B nib sometimes wouldn't make it through a full day. I didn't even try my CON-20 or CON-50 because they don't look like they would hold much more ink than the supplied converter.

So I ditched the converter-- the 78G is an absolutely wonderful eye dropper. Put a little plumber's wax on the section thread and it is completely ink tight, no O ring required. I've been using it this way for months. No leaks, no blurpage and it holds a ton of ink.

Every doctrine that discards doubt is a form of fanaticism and stupidity.

-- Jorge Luis Borges

I've seen two different squeeze converters - the one that came in my 78G, which has a mostly-exposed sac and a strip over it which is attached at one end, and the one that came in my Crystal, which is completely metal-clad and has a metal press-bar. Which one of these is the CON-20, and what's the other one called?

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

I've seen two different squeeze converters - the one that came in my 78G, which has a mostly-exposed sac and a strip over it which is attached at one end, and the one that came in my Crystal, which is completely metal-clad and has a metal press-bar. Which one of these is the CON-20, and what's the other one called?

The CON-20 is completely metal clad so it can withstand the spring pressure of the VP push button. I've never seen a designation for the exposed sac converter that comes with the 78G.

Every doctrine that discards doubt is a form of fanaticism and stupidity.

-- Jorge Luis Borges

The CON-20 is completely metal clad so it can withstand the spring pressure of the VP push button. I've never seen a designation for the exposed sac converter that comes with the 78G.

I use Pilot/Namiki IC-50 and IC-100 cartridges in my 78Gs when not using the convertor that was included with the pen. You could check here (no association, just happy buyer providing good info for FPNers )[url=http://search.stores.ebay.com/Winning-Pen-Store_pilot-ink-cartridges_W0QQfciZQ2d1QQfclZ4QQfsnZWinningQ20PenQ20StoreQQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQfsubZ

115443011QQsaselZ741713271QQsofpZ0]

May you and those you love, be always blessed with peace and never ending joy.

Roger

Yeah, I figured the metal-clad one was the CON-20, and I've never seen a designation for the 78G's either. I actually have that one in my VP right now - maybe I should switch it with the CON-20 from my Crystal.

I wish the VP would accommodate the CON-70. That's the converter that made me think maybe C/C isn't always a bad thing.

Edited by Silvermink

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Newbie question regarding the Pilot 78G.

I'm wanting to buy a set of 78Gs from ebay Here. I've asked the seller for clarification, but thought that I might try you guys on FPN as well. What I'm wanting to know is if 78Gs come with an empty converter. Obviously, this seller is including pilot ink cartridges but, in your experience, will the pen have a converter as well? If so, is it any good (meaning: not leaky or faulty), or am I better off to buy something else (Con-20?)?

Much thanks in advance.

Edited by Dental Diva

Newbie question regarding the Pilot 78G.

I'm wanting to buy a set of 78Gs from ebay Here. I've asked the seller for clarification, but thought that I might try you guys on FPN as well. What I'm wanting to know is if 78Gs come with an empty converter. Obviously, this seller is including pilot ink cartridges but, in your experience, will the pen have a converter as well? If so, is it any good (meaning: not leaky or faulty), or am I better off to buy something else (Con-20?)?

Much thanks in advance.

Well, the ad does say the converter is inside the pen, so I'd say, um, yup. :ninja: