Aurora Resin vs. Aurolide

playpen

Why is it that I can't seem to find a clear description of resin or aurolide online? I know that that aurolide is more expensive but where can I see what it is online? I am bleary eyed from searching the web, to no avail! Help please!

I am looking at the Mare, the Optima Mini in burgundy and the regular sized Auroras.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dillo

• JRodriguez

• playpen

• Phthalo

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Auroloide is celluloid. Resin is just resin or plastic.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

I appreciate your answer but why is it I wonder that the sites do not specifically label the pens as either? One site says mini optima burgundy resin...another aurolide...and others don't specify at all yet when price becaomes an issue, the aurolide is more expensive...

Hi,

The resin is in solid colours but the Auroloide is patterned. smile.gif

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Check out this website:

http://www.kenroindustries.com/

Kenro is the US Customer Service company for Aurora. They have them separated and it may help (although just a little bit).

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

I may very well be wrong about this, but I own an Auroloide Optima and a resin 88, and the material feels darned near exactly the same in my hand. I also own some pens that I know are celluloid, and the Auroloide does not feel the same. To add to my sense that Auroloide aint celluloid, I have never read anywhere in any publication that Auroloide = celluloid, though its certainly likely that I just haven't read the right stuff. It may very well be that the super pretty colors of my Optima are celluloid and its coated with resin or something, but I have a hunch that in this case, Auroloide = pretty resin. But again, I may very well be wrong.

I have read that Auroloide is just their name for celluloid, but I can't recall where - I'm at work now and can't really look, but the Kenro website does state:

"The cap and barrel in all versions are made of marbled Auroloide, an antique material, yet refined and prestigious."

Maybe that means old celluloid rod stock, maybe not.

My Yellow Marble Aurora Sole Mini LE feels exactly the same as the four Omas Classic Celluloid pens I own, so... *shrug*.

Have you seen the price of the original Aurora Sole LE? I don't see how that price would be warranted if the original Sole LE was just a resin pen...

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

Hi,

Sniff the material and yes, it smells like celluloid. I would think it may be celluloid acetate.

Acrylics are not as resilient and the plasticizer fumes make me feel sick. sick.gif

Dillon

Dillon

I want to be clear that I really feel that I might just be incorrect about this hunch of mine and I'm certainly no pen expert, but my auroloide just doesn't have that same aroma you're talking about. And they do say "an antique material" on the Kenro website, but that just makes me more suspicious ... But I have an incredibly limited experience considering the vast array of pens out there, and so perhaps I just lack the knowledge to be able to distinguish resin from certain types of celluloid via touch. The reason I'm even posting this is because I was a bit disappointed at first when I got my Optima and it seemed to be resin. I love the pen and especially the patterning - it is one of my absolute favorites - but I think I was expecting something more along the feel of one of my Viscontis, and thus the disappointment at first.

I don't know what the Visconti celluloid is, but as Dillo said, Aurora may use celluloid-acetate, whereas Omas do, and Visconti may, use celluloid-nitrate.

Celluloid-nitrate pens seem to have a strong camphor smell.

Edit: From the Aurora website, in the Materials section:

"Cellulose Acetate

Well known to collectors round the world for its stability, athermicity and versatility specifications, in fusing with the most varied range of colourings, cellulose acetate is an extremely modern and ecological material. It is one of the most used elements in Aurora's creations. Since it cannot be injected through dies, like modern thermoplastics, it can only be worked manually, lathing, piece by piece, the crude bars."

So I'm not sure how "antique material" comes into it! smile.gif

Edited by Phthalo

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

Hi,

Celluloid Acetate has a different plasticizer (I think) than that used in Celluloid Nitrate, but you can still smell a rather sweet but not as strong smell compared to Celluloid Nitrate.

Dillon

Dillon

Now I've learned that I should also sniff my pens huh.gif

Well, I have Aurora 85th Anniversary and I always wondered what "auroloid" is.

Yes, I can smell a week smell of the barrel, not unpleasant, but I cannot compare it to cellulod as I have no pen made of this material (yet).

Phthalo and Dillo, your answers are very helpful. When I first got my Optima I looked and looked for a clear explanation of the material and nary did I come across one I found satisfying. I actually figured that "cellulose acetate" was something different from celluloid - especially considering how different this pen feels to the touch relative to other celluloid pens I've held, but also because they claim to use the material in most of their pens, and I knew almost beyond a shadow of a doubt that most of their pens are resin. But now that I know cellulose acetate is celluloid, my confusion has been cleared up. Thanks guys!