New flex nib pen?

novarider

I am looking for a flex nib pen and was wondering if anyone makes new ones? If not what is a decent priced one i can start with about 50 bucks?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thibaulthalpern

• RevAaron

• simonrob

• dumdummuoi

Modern flex nibs are available in Namiki/Pilot Falcon, and I think also some of their Custom pens... And there's Nakaya (very expensive)... And a custom flex nib to go with a Pelikan from R Binder. But at $50 I'd go for vintage flex (and I did, as a matter of fact).

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so." - Douglas Adams

In fact, you might try a Reform 1745. It is far from being flexible in the vintage sense, but it exhibits a lot of line variation, and I have this theory see...

http://www.cs.queensu.ca/~seniuk/reform-flex.jpg

I conjecture that this simple cut would improve flex and "return". If it actually ruins the nib/pen, you haven't spent much money (what? $7 from Lexaf or JJBlanche?) and the experiment was well worth the trying. I would do this now but I don't have a right tools; maybe a jeweler could do it for me?

http://www.cs.queensu.ca/~seniuk/reform-flex-mod.jpg

Don't worry! The inverted tombstone shape of this image is purely coincidental. The nib might develop a crack from the end of the new slit, since there's no breather hole... Probably unlikely if you don't push your flex too far. If my conjecture is correct, then the answer to your subtitle is, "yes, anyone can!" :D

In case you're unfamiliar with these pens, they're piston fillers with an inkview window, very well made for the price.

-Andrew

Edited by andru

I am looking for a flex nib pen and was wondering if anyone makes new ones? If not what is a decent priced one i can start with about 50 bucks?

For $50 for a new one? I don't know of any. However, I keep hearing over and over again that the Pilot Custom 742 or the Custom 743 with the Falcon nib is one of the most flexible modern nib there is. I have the 742 with the Falcon nib and I think it's wonderful. I've been told that the Nakaya flexible nib or elastic flexible nib do not compare with the Falcon nib.

Note, the Namiki Falcon (also made by Pilot) is complete different than the Pilot 742 or 743 with the Falcon nib.

m( _ _ )m (– , –) \ (^_^) /

Note, the Namiki Falcon (also made by Pilot) is complete different than the Pilot 742 or 743 with the Falcon nib.

Yup yup... Does anyone know how the two pens' flex nibs compare? I tried a flex-nibbed Falcon at Castle in the Air in Berkeley, and it's got pretty good flex, but compared to a vintage flexy (the ones that I've tried), I'd classify it as "semi-flex" only.

Edited by dumdummuoi

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so." - Douglas Adams

Yup yup... Does anyone know how the two pens' flex nibs compare? I tried a flex-nibbed Falcon at Castle in the Air in Berkeley, and it's got pretty good flex, but compared to a vintage flexy (the ones that I've tried), I'd classify it as "semi-flex" only.

Yes. Namiki Falcon with the Fine nib does not flex that well. It takes quite a bit of pressure. The Pilot Custom 742 with the Falcon nib flexes considerably better with not much effort.

Namiki Falcon nibs are less flexible than Pilot FA nibs (they're about the same as Pilot's "soft" nibs), which in turn aren't as flexible as the most flexible vintage nibs. The disadvantages of the Pilot FA nibs are (1) they're one width only (unlike the Namiki Falcon, Pilot soft and vintage nibs) and (2) their ink flow isn't fast enough for a combination of flexing and writing fast - the line splits if you're not careful.

Simon

Namiki Falcon nibs are less flexible than Pilot FA nibs (they're about the same as Pilot's "soft" nibs), which in turn aren't as flexible as the most flexible vintage nibs. The disadvantages of the Pilot FA nibs are (1) they're one width only (unlike the Namiki Falcon, Pilot soft and vintage nibs) and (2) their ink flow isn't fast enough for a combination of flexing and writing fast - the line splits if you're not careful.

Simon

I sent my Pilot Custom 742 to Richard for adjustment so that the ink flows sufficiently. For me, it's worth it. The 742's Falcon nib is really a pleasure to write with.

The Pelikan m1000, Namiki Falcon, and Pilot Custom are the most flexible. I've only had experience with the Pelikan, and it does have a reasonable amount of flex. Sailor Kenshin, if you're looking for a higher-priced flex nib pen, I'd recommend this one. Aside from the nib, it's a much better pen than the other two, with its piston filler. I think this pen is the best value one that I've ever bought (considering that I haven't gotten much out of the really cheap ones since I hardly use them now).

The Pelikan m1000, Namiki Falcon, and Pilot Custom are the most flexible. I've only had experience with the Pelikan, and it does have a reasonable amount of flex. Sailor Kenshin, if you're looking for a higher-priced flex nib pen, I'd recommend this one. Aside from the nib, it's a much better pen than the other two, with its piston filler. I think this pen is the best value one that I've ever bought (considering that I haven't gotten much out of the really cheap ones since I hardly use them now).

I don't think the Pelikan is a better pen. First off, Pilot nibs are better and that's the most important part of the pen. I've had a number of modern Pelikans, and the only one that wrote properly out of the box was one i purchased from Mottishaw. One did not write at all. A couple were scratchy. The other nibs skipped and were horribly dry. I haven't had a problem with Pilot nibs. I've also had an M800 that literally fell apart at the seams. That's yet to happen with any of my Pilots. I wouldn't be going too far out on a limb to say that Pilot QC beats Pelikan's. Last but not least, Bock does not make anything that compares to the FA nib in terms of flexibility, which is what the OP is looking for.

The only really semi-flex nib manufactured today is the FA nib for the Pilot Custom 742 and 743 series. The nib is called Falcon, but it mustn't be confused with the Namiki Falcon, which doesn't really flex. See the picture below. A close second is the elastic nib manufactured by Nakaya. See image.

Pilot nibs:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a383/ttobbaa/namiki/Kind_Nib.jpg

Nakaya elastic:

http://www.nakaya.org/elastic_nib_450.jpg

For writing samples, check this thread.

Edited by Escribiente

I sent my Pilot Custom 742 to Richard for adjustment so that the ink flows sufficiently. For me, it's worth it. The 742's Falcon nib is really a pleasure to write with.

So did I, but the problem was reduced rather than fixed. Perhaps I just write too fast - but I almost never have this problem with vintage flex nibs (by which I mean I never have this problem with most of the vintage flex nibs I have but do with a couple of them).

Simon

I don't think the Pelikan is a better pen. First off, Pilot nibs are better and that's the most important part of the pen. I've had a number of modern Pelikans, and the only one that wrote properly out of the box was one i purchased from Mottishaw. One did not write at all. A couple were scratchy. The other nibs skipped and were horribly dry. I haven't had a problem with Pilot nibs. I've also had an M800 that literally fell apart at the seams. That's yet to happen with any of my Pilots. I wouldn't be going too far out on a limb to say that Pilot QC beats Pelikan's. Last but not least, Bock does not make anything that compares to the FA nib in terms of flexibility, which is what the OP is looking for.

Vintage Pelikan nibs (assuming they've been well looked after) strike me as being far superior to their modern counterparts; what's more, they are frequently flexible (far more so than the current ones) and, moreover, provide flex (real, vintage flex) in a wide variety of tip sizes and styles (my favorites are Pelikan oblique flexes).

Simon

So did I, but the problem was reduced rather than fixed. Perhaps I just write too fast - but I almost never have this problem with vintage flex nibs (by which I mean I never have this problem with most of the vintage flex nibs I have but do with a couple of them).

Simon

Did Richard say he's done the best that he could with the pen? Hmm...I'd hope he would be able to fix it entirely....

Even with vintage flex, you can't charge full speed ahead when the nib is flexed though. It won't deliver ink fast enough.

Edited by thibaulthalpern

Even with vintage flex, you can't charge full speed ahead when the nib is flexed though. It won't deliver ink fast enough.

I don't mean to make this a habit, but ... nope! Not the case. It depends on the design of the feed and where it's positioned. In fact, some vintage nibs/feeds only keep the line going strong when you in a stroke at full-speed- if you slow down, the surface tension breaks and you get railroad tracks. Some do the opposite- if you go fast, you get railroad tracks, slow you get a solid line. Ideally, a pen will do both, but if the feed is of a poor design, is clogged, or is incorrectly place it will only do one or the other- or maybe neither. :P

WTB: Lamy 27 w/ OB/OBB nibs; Pelikan 100 B nib

Vintage Pelikan nibs (assuming they've been well looked after) strike me as being far superior to their modern counterparts; what's more, they are frequently flexible (far more so than the current ones) and, moreover, provide flex (real, vintage flex) in a wide variety of tip sizes and styles (my favorites are Pelikan oblique flexes).

I completely agree- and from what I've read, gyasko would too. Though, I've never had a full-flex vintage Pelikan nib that was from the 50s on- all of the 400/400NN/140 nibs I've used were semi-flex. You can get a lot of variation out of them, but with more pressure than the Pelikan 100 nibs I've used.

Actually, I take that back- when they started to firm up is when they switched to the new-style design. Not sure if that's too simplistic, but I have used 400s with the "Pelikan" script imprint that were full-flex.

WTB: Lamy 27 w/ OB/OBB nibs; Pelikan 100 B nib

I propose that we contact the Small Business Administration and see if we can get a grant to research and recreate the flex nibs of the early 20th century. I think the world would be much better for some developmental research into what makes a flex nib flex.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?