Comparison of 6 Blue-Black Inks

MDI

Here is a comparison of 6 Blue-Black Inks:

http://queenmargot.com/blueblacks_andrew.jpg

Note that Private Reserve Ebony Blue appears greenish and Waterman Blue-Black is nearly blue. The Montblanc Blue-Black is from the cartridge. At a future point, I would like to include the bottled version. The similarity between Pelikan and MB/cartridge is not a scanner trick, it is similar in real life, but there is difference: MB is a bit more toward gray.

Here are a few close-ups:

http://queenmargot.com/blueblacks_andrew2.jpg

http://queenmargot.com/blueblacks_andrew3.jpg

--

Collection: Pen Perfect | Ink: The Magic Fountain

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MDI

• Penache

• Juan in Andalucia

• Gran

Nice comparison MDI, Thanks!

MB Blue-black is one of my favorite BB inks. This is what BB should be IMHO!

"Celebrating Nine Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

Thanks MDI. These are really useful. The side-by-sides are great.

~Marty

“None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try” —Mark Twain

Thank you for these scans -- it gives me something to think about. To my eye, the Pelikan is the closest to a blue-black, with PR Sonic Blue a close second. How do other people see it?

Thanks for the really nice comparison scans. I use and love W'man and Pelikan BB and these look dead on to me. I've been thinking about MB and Skrip since they are available at a local shop, but now I'm thinking about Sonic Blue instead :hmm1:

I just want to add that the colours MDI posted look extremely accurate on my computer screen.

Ebony Blue is one of my favourite "blue-blacks," even though it is more of a teal.

I've been thinking about MB and Skrip since they are available at a local shop, but now I'm thinking about Sonic Blue instead :hmm1:

Sonic Blue is a surprisingly mild and well-behaved ink; it behaves more like Pelikan and Skrip than like a PR ink. I posted a review here that should give you an idea of what it is like.

Thanks for your scan. I love looking at these comparisons.

I'm thinking that you must have scanned your page very soon after the inks were dry, because the Waterman Blue Black looks surprisingly blue. In my experience, it often looks blue when wet, or when recently applied, but it turns to a less-attractive teal color within the next 24 hours.

Your Pelikan Blue Black also looks fairly blue. Others have found this ink to be gray, more like the Sheaffer Skrip Blue Black.

My favorite blue black inks these days are Pilot Blue Black and Sailor Blue Black, with Pilot having the slight edge.

I really wish Dupont would resume production of their former blue black ink, as that was a really nice color, somewhat similar to PR Midnight Blues. I can't use the PR inks, because they dry too slowly.

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

Ah, beautiful blue-black. The Ebony Blue looks startling. Weird green hue. I wish I could've made my Waterman BB look this good. Thanks for the scan.

Thank you for these scans -- it gives me something to think about. To my eye, the Pelikan is the closest to a blue-black, with PR Sonic Blue a close second. How do other people see it?

Same as you, or almost; Pelikan would be the close second.

Juan

Thanks very much. This is most helpful!

Edited by Gran

May you have pens you enjoy, with plenty of paper and ink. :)

Please use only my FPN name "Gran" in your posts. Thanks very much!

Thanks for this comparison. I've been struggling for days trying to decide which blue-black inks to order and this has helped me make up my mind.

I see PR Ebony Blue, PR Sonic Blue and Pelikan Blue-Black in my, hopefully immediate, future. :D

~ Manisha

"A traveller am I and a navigator, and everyday I discover a new region of my soul." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Really great comparison; I too have been wondering which B/B to get, and think that Pelikan could be it.

@leoniethomas18