Montblanc Ink Bottle

ampatb

Fellow friends of the MB line, I have seldom (maybe never heard anyone) complain about the MB ink bottle. In fact, they love it and even use it for other inks. Why not make a special bottle with some nice crystal and maybe a silver or gold band on the top. If the price is right I think many of us would love to purchase one. Maybe this could tie into a MB collector's club. Whatdoes everyone think? Better yet, does anyone think soimeone at MB would listen to this idea?

Mike

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ampatb

• Pravda

• FredRydr

• pentopaper

Top Posters In This Topic

I earlier in some other post expressed my enthusiasm towards Montblanc inkwells and one with the design of the bottle would be a nice touch I am sure :)

I wonder why we dont have those yet to be honest..

Can someone explain to me why mont blanc designed their bottle as they did...what is the exact benefit that is derived from this design?

Can someone explain to me why mont blanc designed their bottle as they did...what is the exact benefit that is derived from this design?

Pen,

I thought everyone knew this.

The bottle's creator spent 3 1/2 years in a padded room with all but a pencil, during which time he created beautiful drawings and drempt-up an ink bottle that wouldn't tip over and would make it easy to fill a pen no matter how little ink remained in the bottle. After his discharge, an orderly given the job of cleaning the walls cut the drawing out of the vandalized ceiling fabric, and just by coincidence, wrapped his father's old 146 in the rag to send to Hamburg for repair. The drawing caught the eye of the same man who later created the Garbo, and he plagiarized the design for a new Montblanc ink bottle. He was on his way to the Frankfurt industrial design awards ceremony when he was stabbed to death with a Ticonderoga No. 2 by an insane artist. The bottles are deemed cursed ever since, and no one in their right mind wants them.

Therefore, empty all your Montblanc ink bottles, pack them up and send them to me for proper disposal.

Fred ;)

It was a solution for the common problem of filling pens when the ink level becomes low, ie when the ink level is insufficiant to submerge the nib. The MB bottle has a small front section where the ink level would be high enough, even when there is little ink in the bottle. Other companies have different approaches to this problem, such as the Visconti, Lami and the old Parker Penman bottles, and I'm sure there are more, but these come to my mind.

Fellow friends of the MB line, I have seldom (maybe never heard anyone) complain about the MB ink bottle. In fact, they love it and even use it for other inks. Why not make a special bottle with some nice crystal and maybe a silver or gold band on the top. If the price is right I think many of us would love to purchase one. Maybe this could tie into a MB collector's club. Whatdoes everyone think? Better yet, does anyone think soimeone at MB would listen to this idea?

Mike

Becausing they already make an inkwell that they sell why would they want to dilute that market? Lalique and standard crystal are out there now.

Becausing they already make an inkwell that they sell why would they want to dilute that market? Lalique and standard crystal are out there now.

Roger that. I've got both the old and new style inkwells and desk sets (picked up on eBay years ago), and I used the inkwells for a short period. After I walked into my home office a couple years ago and found my 3-year old girl about ready to dump a bunch of MB Blue-Black on the carpeted floor, the ink went back into the bottles, and the bottles were stored where little hands couldn't reach them. Now the inkwells just sit there and look good.

She'll be seven on Halloween, and if she wants to use one of my fountain pens, I ink up a MB142 F nib for her. Unfortunately, she'd rather use one of my Parker 51s. :glare:

Eric

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

What do the MB inkwells look like folks? :) I remember googling it earlier not coming up with anything in particular.. Are they nice? :)

The basic idea of the current MB bottle is nothing new under the sun; there are many vintage bottles by other manufacturers like Pelikan or Waterman. Wateman made a bottle which looked like a turtle; the "head" of the turtle is where the cap was and the ink reservoir.

Montblanc is simply the only current manufacturer which has followed this, but I'd love to have one of those turtle bottles. I'm sure they'd label it as a MB wannabe; oh, well.

Juan

What do the MB inkwells look like folks? :) I remember googling it earlier not coming up with anything in particular.. Are they nice? :)

I found on Google:

Inkwell from the 80':

http://www.fountainpen.de/pics/horst/deskset80er/deskalt-seite2.jpg

Inkwell from the 90' (and still available):

http://www.worldlux.com/products/montblanc/_desk/inkwell/fullsize1.jpg

Or do you mean the standard inkwells which you get for free if you buy Montblanc ink?

http://www.penrefills.com/acatalog/montblanc-bottled-ink.jpg

BTW, this inkwell bases on the design of 'Wilhelm Wagenfeld' who made the first "lying" inkbottle for Pelikan.

Axel

Edited by penparadise
Axel

Montblanc collector since 1968. Former owner of the Montblanc Boutique Bremen, retired 2007 and sold it.
Collecting Montblanc safeties, eyedroppers, lever fillers, button fillers, compressors - all from 1908 - 1929,
Montblanc ephemera and paraphernalia from 1908 to 1929,
Montblanc Meisterstück from 1924 up to the 50s,
Montblanc special and limited editions from 1991 to 2006

I meant the standard ink bottle that comes with Montblanc ink. I believe I actually saw an older version of this bottle with a sterling silver covered cap. It looked great.

ampatb