Letter Opener

UVRAY

I picked up this ivory letter opener in an antique shop the other day.

It's nothing amazing in a historical sense, nor is it of great financial worth. But I personally find it an extremely attractive addition to my writing desk - and it has a lovely feel.

Any others here use any letter openers?

post-16415-1209365610_thumb.jpg

Edited by UVRAY

"While U.V.Ray oozes insurgence he weeps intelligence and sensitivity; an illegitimate love child of Mark Twain and John Wayne joined at the hip by the surgical wisdom of Frankenstein." ~ Callum Hornigold.

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Judybug

• jbb

• UVRAY

• GreenVelvet

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's nothing amazing in a historical sense, nor is it of great financial worth. But I personally find it an extremely attractive addition to my writing desk - and it has a lovely feel.

That's quite a find! It's beautiful! And - I don't know - if it's really ivory, it may have some monetary value. There's so much imitation ivory these days - I'm happy for the elephants. :)

Here's my letter openers. The one with the elephants is ivory and was a gift from an aunt who lived in India for 30 years. The fleur de lys is brass, and the other one is enamel over metal - how do you spell "claw-zen-ay"?? :bonk:

Judybug

post-1908-1209386652_thumb.jpg

So many pens, so little time!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

My Blog: Bywater Wisdom

Here's my letter openers. The one with the elephants is ivory and was a gift from an aunt who lived in India for 30 years. The fleur de lys is brass, and the other one is enamel over metal - how do you spell "claw-zen-ay"?? :bonk:

Judybug

Judybug, It's spelled "Cloisonné"... I can't spell the name of my favorite Noodler's ink and it drives me crazy every time I want to post about it. :bonk:

I use a letter opener but it's drearily plain... now I see that I must go in search of a prettier one.

>> I don't know - if it's really ivory, it may have some monetary value. There's so much imitation ivory these days <<

The elephant and podium thing it's standing on is ivory. The blade is faux. I'm guessing it was originally just an elephant ornament that at some point was made into the piece we now see.

I think that enamel one of yours is a very handsome item.

Edited by UVRAY

"While U.V.Ray oozes insurgence he weeps intelligence and sensitivity; an illegitimate love child of Mark Twain and John Wayne joined at the hip by the surgical wisdom of Frankenstein." ~ Callum Hornigold.

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

I use a letter opener but it's drearily plain... now I see that I must go in search of a prettier one.

When you go shopping for one, notice if the edge is sharp or kind of rounded - that is if you're not just collecting letter openers and you plan to use them. My ivory one and the brass fleur de lys both have sharp edges - not sharp enough to cut you, but sharp enough to actually open a letter.

UVRAY, as pretty as the cloisonne one is (thanks for the spelling, jbb!) , the edges are so rounded it's not very useful when it comes to opening letters. It helps if I pass the edge of the envelope to be opened between thumb nail and forefinger before using the letter opener. But that's not necessary when a letter opener has a good sharp edge.

Judybug

Those are nice looking letter openers. I am alway on the lookout for them, especially ones that match up with pens. Here is one that I found a couple of years ago that matched a Parker Lady Duofold.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/munsonhsr/desk%20items/DSC_0037-2.jpg

They are all really nice letter openers. I still need to get one but I have not seen one yet. Then again my eyes have been more open to ink wells and pens than letter openers :headsmack:

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/5775/bickhamuserbar.jpg

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/9086/quilluserbar.jpg

Flickr photos

Those are nice looking letter openers. I am alway on the lookout for them, especially ones that match up with pens. Here is one that I found a couple of years ago that matched a Parker Lady Duofold.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/munsonhsr/desk%20items/DSC_0037-2.jpg

Oooo! Pretty - both the letter opener and the pen. I've always wanted a ring top pen and this is a lovely one. (I need another pen like I need a hole in the head.)

Judybug

With as much as I have tried to kick the habit, I'm one of those that takes out their pocket knife to open mail. It's so bad that even at my desk with my letter opener easier to reach I still go for the pocket knife.

-- dreg

With as much as I have tried to kick the habit, I'm one of those that takes out their pocket knife to open mail. It's so bad that even at my desk with my letter opener easier to reach I still go for the pocket knife.

Why have a letter opener, thats what a pocket knife is for!!

I use a Kershaw Boa most of the time.

RAPT

Pens:Sailor Mini, Pelikan Grand Place, Stipula Ventidue with Ti Stub nib, Pelikan M605 with Binder Cursive Italic, Stipula Ventidue with Ti M nib, Vintage Pilot Semi-flex, Lamy Vista, Pilot Prera

For Sale:

Saving for: Edison Pearl

In my dreams: Nakaya Piccolo, custom colour/pattern

In transit:

• 2 weeks later...

I got this letter opener for free yesterday at a yard sale. We were already buying $5.00 worth of stuff so they threw this in at no charge. It says "Italy, Bellini, Florence" on it... if that means anything...

I have an antique silver letter opener, but I only use when I'm at my desk, which means its only for nice letters that I intend to keep. For bills and mass mailings, I just tear them open at the dining room table.

jeremy

I got this letter opener for free yesterday at a yard sale. We were already buying $5.00 worth of stuff so they threw this in at no charge. It says "Italy, Bellini, Florence" on it... if that means anything...

What a nice find! Guess I'll have to start haunting yard sales and flea markets!

Judybug

I've got one made of agate that I haven't seen in awhile so it might still be packed away. My standard one looks like a double sided butter knife from a cutlery manufacture that I can't remember. But I'll use my Buck knife in a pinch!

Kurt

I just have a little base metal one that looks like a cutlass.

http://www.dragonseptarts.com/images/favicon.gif Dragonsept Arts and Publishing - Free and open culture

My Public Key: F1BC60E6

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind." — Rudyard Kipling

"In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act." — George Orwell

Wow, I feel so unsophisticated now. I use either a scalpel that's laying around or a Gerber Kiowa to open my letters. . .

You don't have too, you can leave me this dubious privilege : I open letters with whatever I have under hands. Most often a... key or a finger.

Now, I feel ashamed :embarrassed_smile: :rolleyes: ;)

In my drawer, I have an old knife, hand made by... myself, that I sometimes use as a letter opener, when the enveloppe is really pretty or something like that. It never was able to cut anything but paper, so :headsmack:

Edited by davidbosman
blog (French)

I usually do the envelope-tear-with-the-fingers bit. Until this week. I've just added the cutest little ladybug on a leaf letter opener to the household. Was only 3 dollars, and it's a ladybug. That was enough to prompt me to nab it.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship