Cross Classic sterling silver pen

emdee

I have recently unearthed some fountain pens, and would like to prevail upon FPN members' expertise in giving an idea of their value (given their condition, etc.).

From researching online, I think that the Cross pen (top, in photos) is a Classic Century model. It has been stored away for about 20 years. The silver has tarnished a bit. (Can one clean this using regular silver polish, or is this a job for a professional?) The markings on the nib are: Cross/14K 585/[logo]/F.

It was used (minimally) with ink cartridges, but it has a piston-fill mechanism (clean--unsued).

Thanks for any information!

post-8905-1189703889_thumb.jpg

post-8905-1189703901_thumb.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chris

• emdee

• sigfrizzel

• nordenfeldt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That Cross is indeed an old Classic Century model. It's a beauty! If I found one like that, I'd snap it up quickly. I have a Classic Century in the "Classic Black" finish, and it's a very nice pen.

I'd imagine that regular silver polish would work fine, but I'll let somebody more knowledgeable speak up about that.

Enjoy that beauty!

AIR, they have a silver polishing cloth that is less abrasive than silver polish and the silver people seem to recomend it more.

Personally, if one is going to have a silver pen, I would think it would be nicer left tarnished as it shows it to be a genuine silver pen. Polished (expensive) silver looks like (cheap) chrome to me.

YMMV

That Century Classic is lovely - I have one as my daily pen and daily use ensures the silver is never tarnished.

It will clean up beautifully with a silver cloth, which will be less abrasive than silver polish. Cross make them, or any good jeweler will have one.

I think polished silver is a lovely soft glow and is quite different to the harsh brightness of chrome; left tarnished it just looks neglected, which is a pity.

Value? Well, they used to cost £100 before they were discontinued.

Chris

That Century Classic is lovely - I have one as my daily pen and daily use ensures the silver is never tarnished.

It will clean up beautifully with a silver cloth, which will be less abrasive than silver polish. Cross make them, or any good jeweler will have one.

I think polished silver is a lovely soft glow and is quite different to the harsh brightness of chrome; left tarnished it just looks neglected, which is a pity.

Value? Well, they used to cost £100 before they were discontinued.

Chris

Thanks, Chris, for the information.

I have owned the Century Sterling Silver ballpoint for many years and all replies are correct. Daily use will give the pen a very nice patina, warm and attractive. The Century fountain pens are smooth writers, enjoy and congratulatiions on a great discovery.

jimmartin

• 2 months later...

I saw this post and had to reply. It was the Parker that caught my eye. I had one sterling silver ball point in that pattern and two sterling silver fountain pens like the one pictured. I lost the ball point in Alaska. I completey wore out the fountain pens and sold them. I wish I had replaced the nibs instead.

What gets me today is the price of high quality pens. I bought these pens in Alaska in the mid-1970s brand new for $25.00 each; which at the time seemed like an extravagent purchase for a pen. That will barely cover the sales tax these days.

Edited by penartist

I saw this post and had to reply. It was the Parker that caught my eye. I had one sterling silver ball point in that pattern and two sterling silver fountain pens like the one pictured. I lost the ball point in Alaska. I completey wore out the fountain pens and sold them. I wish I had replaced the nibs instead.

What gets me today is the price of high quality pens. I bought these pens in Alaska in the mid-1970s brand new for $25.00 each; which at the time seemed like an extravagent purchase for a pen. That will barely cover the sales tax these days.

So true!! I just got a steal so to speak on ciscle for 122!! today on ebay one went for 200 last evening!

• 2 months later...

I came across this post, and had to reply as I have just discovered this pen in a box I obtained some time back, and, unsuprisingly, I'd like to get some info from those in the know.

Now....is this the Century or the Century II? I think it's the first as the nib is marked 14KT.

It says .925 silver and Made in Ireland, so should I be looking for Irish hallmarks, and where would they be?

I really must study the photo section some more., these aren't very good photos....

ATB

post-5990-1205319577_thumb.jpg

post-5990-1205319611_thumb.jpg

It is a Century not a Century II. The II has a thicker band around the edge of the cap apart from other differences.

The hallmark will be tiny and on both the barrel and the cap - you might need a loupe to even find them and they are susceptible to being worn away with age.

I have the same pen in front of me now.

Chris

I have both those pens. Correction: I still have the top one and I have the cap of the bottom one, the rest of it having disappeared somewhere in Pennsylvania a few years ago.

I clean my sterling pens with toothpaste -- a trick a goldsmith told me.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.