How to fix "railroad track" writing

eric.zamir

I have a wonderful pen with a nice broad nib and good flow, BUT when I press or write a long line, I get "railroad track" syndrome. What can I do to fix that?

Still seeking the One Pen to Rule Them All...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Armchop

• Lloyd

• Col

• andyk

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a wonderful pen with a nice broad nib and good flow, BUT when I press or write a long line, I get "railroad track" syndrome. What can I do to fix that?

Eric,

I'm going to guess you mean that after some distance, you get two fine lines with a gap instead of a broad line. This can usually be traced back to inadequate ink flow. Essentially the ability to deliver ink to the paper is outstripped by the demand and the film between the tines breaks and ends the capillary action causing the ink that is delivered to run down the tine forming two distinct lines.

Not sure how or if you can fix it without playing with the pen. Someone else may help on this part.

Todd

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

:meow:

Hi Eric

in terms of Physics Farmboy is correct.

Capilliary action on a pen nib depends on the narrowness of the gap between the tines. There is a maximum gap before capilliary action fails and the gap just becomes a big crack.

The minimum width depends upon the viscosity of the ink which is why pens write with varying charactersitics according to what ink is being used. This is why fountain pen users with several pens find they need to note which ink goes best with particular pens or nibs.

Therefore:

i) When you are writing try not to press so hard to reduce the splitting of the tines

ii) if you are not actually pressing hard anyway you may have a very soft nib

iii) use a more viscous ink if you particulary wish to use that pen.

(Physics notes: surface tension also comes into it but this is the general idea. No need to elongate this thread with a bout of brains). :rolleyes:

I get this "railroad writing" with my (changed to right pen) Namiki Falcon (must stop doing posts while drinking) with B nib and Skrip Red. trying to practice using it properly.

Armchop

Edited by Armchop

Hi,

Armchop said what I was going to only far more eloqueantly (is that how its spelt?, note don't use big words you can't spell).

I had this problem, but found changing to a smoother flowing ink (Waterman Florida Blue works well for me) and not pressing so hard cured the problem.

Andy

Edited by andyk

eloqueantly (is that how its spelt?, note don't use big words you can't spell).

Andy, if you're using Internet Explorer, you can click on the Spellcheck button in the top right of the composition window. It links to a download site for a small programme called ieSpell. Once installed, next time you click on the button it will open the programme.

Alternatively, you could simply compose in a text editor (or copy and paste your composition here into one), spell check it there, and then paste it back across.

HTH

Col

My Pilot 743's FA (Flex) nib does this "railroad tracks" behavior when ink demand is high with both Noodlers RedBlack and PR Chocolat. However, Pilot BlueBlack & a mix of Pilot Blue/Levenger Cobalt/Noodler Black works fine. Also, I find some paper to be worse than others.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

This is a good question for Richard Binder. I think the answer has to do with the ratio of the size of the channel in the feed to the size of the point of the nib where it hits the paper. The fact that you are using a broad nib may mean that you're dumping ink onto the paper faster than the feed is able to resupply it. I believe the fix is to modify the feed to increase the channel, but don't try it until Richard responds.

CharlieB

"The moment he opened the refrigerator, he saw it. Caponata! Fragrant, colorful, abundant, it filled an entire soup dish, enough for at least four people.... The notes of the triumphal march of Aida came spontaneously, naturally, to his lips." -- Andrea Camilleri, Excursion to Tindari, p. 212

eloqueantly (is that how its spelt?, note don't use big words you can't spell).

Andy, if you're using Internet Explorer, you can click on the Spellcheck button in the top right of the composition window. It links to a download site for a small programme called ieSpell. Once installed, next time you click on the button it will open the programme.

Alternatively, you could simply compose in a text editor (or copy and paste your composition here into one), spell check it there, and then paste it back across.

HTH

Or you could use Firefox which supports extensions which do this.

(Physics notes: surface tension also comes into it but this is the general idea. No need to elongate this thread with a bout of brains). :rolleyes:

Is surface tension related to viscosity? I've been wondering this lately.

Who are the pen shops in your neighborhood? Find out or tell us where they are, at http://penshops.info/

Blog: http://splicer.com/