Ink Blotters

Pintrok

Yes, I am full of questions today - especially since my girls gave me some cool pen paraphernalia for Dad' Day. I was given an ink blotter. I assume they are used to keep your ink from running.

Does using one of these make the ink smudge?

Do you have to replace the blotter paper after each use?

I realize that there is not a lot of functional use for it, but it is cool.

post-3675-1182103413_thumb.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Clive Merrick Morel

• jbb

• AndyH

• memm

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I assume they are used to keep your ink from running.

Not if you have had just a little practice at using it and do not try to blot too many lines quickly.

Nope, you can contine to use the sheet you have attached for a good while but how often you change it depends on your use and personal taste.

What you have pictured is a rocker blotter. I have several: wood , plastic (it looks like a flat plastic sheet about 1/8th" thick and about 3"X6.5" with a little grip ridge in the center on top), silver,and they are very useful.

The type you have in the picture is a rocker blotter and I use mine to blot signatures, checks, the last few lines on a document or letter I need to get out or be sure that as I put one thing on top of another the ink does not get smeared.

Edited by hardyb

The Danitrio Fellowship

Wow, that's beautiful. I just use plain ole blotter paper either from an art store (that I then cut up) or the sheets from Pendemonium (or the occasional commercial one from Richard's Pens or Pear Tree Pens), but maybe I really need a classy rocker blotter like that.

Does anyone know if the blotter paper that Pendemonium sells is standard replacement paper for a rocker blotter? Do you cut your own? Letting ink dry on its own usually isn't a problem for me, but sometimes it's nice not to wait.

Congrats on having people with such great taste in gifts! :D

"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini

Man that is sweet! The burl wood is awsome! I've never used a blotter or blotter paper but have 8-10 ad type blotters from various vendors. I would love to here from the experts on how best to use the paper or rocker blotters!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I was recently given a rocker blotter and I love it!! It does a great job blotting up excess ink, or drying the last few words on a page without smearing. The one you have pictured is beautiful as well as functional. Enjoy!

What a nice gift! I use my rocking blotter frequently as I use dip pens and have a few wet writing fountain pens too. I change the paper only when the one I've been using gets very dirty. If the blotter paper is good you should not get any smudging because the paper picks up excess ink instantly.

Send me a PM if you'd like a sample piece of blotter paper.

Nice!

I use a small Levenger Palm Notes Case as a pocket blotter w/ a small bit of blotting paper I cut off a much larger sheet I purchased at Dick Blick. I also cut not-quite book sized sheets for my journals and notebooks to use as bookmarks --- makes for a fast exit w/o bleeding when necessary.

William

I use my rocker blotter regularly - couldn't function without it. I find it most useful when writing in a journal or any kind of blank book. Without the blotter, I'd have to wait for the ink to dry before turning the page.

Judybug

So many pens, so little time!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

My Blog: Bywater Wisdom

Yes, I am full of questions today - especially since my girls gave me some cool pen paraphernalia for Dad' Day. I was given an ink blotter. I assume they are used to keep your ink from running.

Congratulations on getting that nice gift.

The use of the blotter is to dry the ink completely and immediately, as opposed to letting it dry on its own.

If used properly it shouldn't smudge the ink. But if you leave a big dome of an ink blob on the page and just squash the blotter down on it the ink blob will spread out a bit before the blotter can absorb it. But this rarely happens with fountain pens.

I used to use a dip pen in my journal for years, and the blotter paper was a real necessity then. I just used the flat sheet of blotter paper, I didn't install it in a rocker blotter. I still have those blotters. I'd leave it in the journal at the last place where I'd written and that would make it very easy for me to open it right up to the next blank spot. I remember buying those blotters too. They were actually made for the rocker blotters, which were not that common anymore when I bought the stuff. The blotter paper was 10¢ a pack, and I bought a dollar's worth. I think I got 10 blotters in each pack, and I only ever used up two of them. I've still got the remainder in the back of a desk drawer, and the used ones are still in the old journals.

I don't use them anymore, as I said, fountain pens don't generally leave enough ink around to need it, at least not on the cheap, absorbant paper I use now.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

• 1 year later...

Okay, I got one of these in a writing kit I purchased, and I have a question. How in the world does one attach the blotter paper to this thing? I can't figure out how to use it because I don't know how to keep the paper on it. It doesn't seem to have any clips, slits, etc. - just a solid hunk of wood.

Be blessed!

~Rachel R. <><

http://blog.titus2homemaker.com

Okay, I stand corrected; the top layer is separate; I just finally got it to move a little. But I still can't figure out how to manipulate the paper up in between the layers.

Wonderful gift, I actually have the same blotter. To separate the top a bit, you unscrew the gold handle. As you screw the handle back in, you can use the fingers of your other hand to keep the top square on the rocker.

Enjoy!

C-C

Edit: Sorry A2JC4life, I thought you were the O.P. with the burled wood blotter. If yours has a handle, though, the same technique should apply.

Edited by ccajackson

Finally he said, "Well, the hours are good..."

..."So the hours are pretty good then?" [Ford] resumed.

The Vogon stared down at him as sluggish thoughts moiled around in the murky depths.

"Yeah," he said, "but now you come to mention it, most of the actual minutes are pretty lousy."

-- H2G2

Okay, I stand corrected; the top layer is separate; I just finally got it to move a little. But I still can't figure out how to manipulate the paper up in between the layers.

Rocking blotters usually unscrew from the handle and the top, handle and curved bottom come apart. In another style there is a springy piece of sheet metal which is bowed holding the paper in place. It is not hard to put the paper in place once it is apart. Can you post a picture of yours?

In this one the handle unscrews and it all comes apart. You wrap the blotter paper around the curved wood and it screws back together.

I just use my JOB EZ-Wide papers for blotting. It does however affect the taste !!

I'm a dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac.

"I stay awake all night wondering if there is a Dog."

" My nightmare is, When I die, my wife sells my pen collection for what I told her I paid for them"

Pintrok,

Your beautiful rocker blotter got me interested in the subject - and then some! :thumbup:

I searched the 'Net and was amazed at the vast array of shapes and materials that are currently available. Take a look . . .

• 8 <= Rocker Blotters at "Wrapped & Ready" (UK)

Amazing stuff! Now ... which one to buy?!?? :hmm1:

Thanks so much for creating this inspirational thread, Pintrok. There's always something new & nifty to acquire surrounding our beloved fountain pens. I suppose the Poor House isn't too far around the corner at this rate . . .

Cheers!

-Clive :happyberet:

Edited by Clive Merrick Morel

-Clive Merrick Morel

. Please do not send PMs...E-mail me: clivemmorel@earthlink.net

I use mine (that exact model - an antique flea market find for ten bucks), made by Osvaldo Agresti of Florence, for signatures and pretty much anything written with a big, wet nib.

Blot a few lines at a time, and don't worry about replacing the paper - when it needs it, you'll know it!

I'm Andy H and I approved this message.

I have several, mostly antique blotters, and I never use them. I don't know what type of environment would make it necessary since my ink dries rather quickly.

A man's real possession is his memory. In nothing else is he rich, in nothing else is he poor.

I use mine (that exact model - an antique flea market find for ten bucks), made by Osvaldo Agresti of Florence, for signatures and pretty much anything written with a big, wet nib.

Blot a few lines at a time, and don't worry about replacing the paper - when it needs it, you'll know it!

Andy,

That's the very best rocker blotter I've EVER seen. Congratulations!!! Briarwood makes it "come to life" IMHO ... something that metal simply cannot replicate. And the price was certainly right, seeing as how you got it at a flea market. :thumbup:

Now you've really got my curiosity piqued.

-Clive Merrick Morel

I don't use a rocker blotter, but do have a blotter in my checkbook, and another (trimmed down one of the Visconti ones) in my pocket notebook.

Pendemonium is a good source for blotter paper.

Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

I have several, mostly antique blotters, and I never use them. I don't know what type of environment would make it necessary since my ink dries rather quickly.

Hey Pepin,

I may have the answer: My home would provide the perfect environment! :D

Cheers!

-Clive Merrick Morel