• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• caliken

• Anne-Sophie

• TimB

• MusinkMan

This is not "Business Writing" which was developed from Spencerian.

This is a straightforward example of Spencerian written without shading.

fpn_1409522440__non-shaded_spencerian_70

Edited by Ken Fraser

The caps are great. I really find the gentle curve of the two flat ovals to be ... pleasing to observe.

There are some very, very small things that I believe could be changed, but as far as I am aware, its probably personal preference. Nonetheless, its probably the finest sample I have seen for a while. Just curious, do you plan on mastering this script to absolutes, esp. in spacing, slant, and curvatures?

In Ornamental Writing, the beauty of light line and shade must be harmonious.

... The best ornamental penmen write each word one letter at a time, the best they can, the same as you do.

I used Higgins Eternal black ink for posts 1# & #9 with an Esterbrook 357 nib.

I wrote the monoline script in post #7 with a Pelikan fountain pen filled with Quink black.

Ken

Edited by Ken Fraser

Ken, is the Pelikan nib a fine or extra fine?

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

• 3 weeks later...

Ken, is the Pelikan nib a fine or extra fine?

Sorry for the late reply. I've been on holiday and have only just found this post.

The nib is a Pelikan fine.

Great work, thanks for posting. I have to admit I find the E A Lupfer example in post #9 more visually appealing than the first example. That's merely personal preference though, both beautifully executed :)

The advice in #1 also works for playing the euphonium, and probably in a lot of other fields as well.

(I have a recital coming up in three weeks, and as I practice, I am very conscious of the need to not only master the technical skills, but to be aware of where I am and what's coming up in the music. When I get distracted, I screw up :yikes: But this is material for a different forum.)

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

Sorry for the late reply. I've been on holiday and have only just found this post.

The nib is a Pelikan fine.

Ken, I have been busy and just checked the thread today, thank you so much for your response.

Using a medium or bold nib creates unique challenges, for example, I am forever trying to make minuscule e that does not look like i and r and z with lost curvature.

Besides the necessities for a beautiful handwriting spelled on post 1, there is also the pesky matter of a meaningful text.

Keeping ideas and beautiful letter forms together is a challenge, I think I need to get back to writing U.S states and other geographical entities.

Geography is a favorite subject so, I have the tendency to let my mind drift from writing the physical place to think about its parks, roads, history and reminiscing if I had been there.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

This is written in the Spencerian style of E A Lupfer

fpn_1409556789__lupfer_spencerian_800.jp

That is awesome, Ken! E.A.Lupfer is truly one of my favorite of the old pen masters. Courtney and Madarasz are great of course, but Lupfer's stuff...there's just something about it. Great job!!! Have you ever had a go at any of P.W.Costello's style? That guy was crazy good in a very unique style.

Maker of Custom Oblique Pen Holders

Visit me at http://uniqueobliques.etsy.com