New Cross Pens Coming Soon?

dut1974

I was fishing around the web, and was able to find these pens that are coming out soon. They are called the Peerless 125. I am not sure of when and how much, but I though it was interesting !!

They say they will come in:

23K Gold Heavy Plate - FP, RB, BP

Platinum Plate & Gold - FP, RB, BP

Platinum Plate - RB, BP

Black - FP, RB, BP

post-28409-0-84258800-1407795680.jpg

post-28409-0-19258700-1407796250.jpg

Edited by dut1974

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tancred

• jebib

• blINK

• MrThoth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Go to fountainpenhospital.com for a full look at all the styles, Cross is also bringing out a new refill as described with the pens...combination of ballpoint and gel called Satnk and will be available in Sept according to Cross (I called today). The pens almost look too big but are nicely styled.

I just checked the FPH website and I'm excited. I'm happy to see Cross come out with a new high-end pen, especially since the future of the company looked shaky after the writing instruments division was split from the parent company and sold to a private equity firm.

The pen looks quite nice like an oversized Century, but the price ($450 to $550 for the fountain pens) is quite off-putting. Although, since we're talking about Cross, I wouldn't be surprised to see them on deep discount a year from now. I got my Apogee, Sauvage and Townsend all brand new for 1/3 to 1/2 off the MSRP.

What really intrigues me are the nibs. A Zoom nib?! I wonder if Cross partnered with Sailor to manufacture their nibs. Cross has a history of outsourcing nibs to other fountain pen companies like Pelikan and Pilot.

Edited by Florida Blue

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

This looks like a fantastic new pen. The thick body is great! :D

It's about time, too. The Townsend was really too thin for my hand and this pen will be much more ergonomic.

I just checked the FPH website and I'm excited. I'm happy to see Cross come out with a new high-end pen, especially since the future of the company looked shaky after the writing instruments division was split from the parent company and sold to a private equity firm.

The pen looks quite nice like an oversized Century, but the price ($450 to $550 for the fountain pens) is quite off-putting. Although, since we're talking about Cross, I wouldn't be surprised to see them on deep discount a year from now. I got my Apogee, Sauvage and Townsend all brand new for 1/3 to 1/2 off the MSRP.

What really intrigues me are the nibs. A Zoom nib?! I wonder if Cross partnered with Sailor to manufacture their nibs. Cross has a history of outsourcing nibs to other fountain pen companies like Pelikan and Pilot.

Sailor nibs would really be the icing on the cake for this pen!!

The price is on a par with the Pelikan M800 and Parker Duofold, so nothing unexpected. It won't put me off or the usual affluent buyer of high end fountain pens.

Edited by Tancred

Sailor nibs would really be the icing on the cake for this pen!!

The price is on a par with the Pelikan M800 and Parker Duofold, so nothing unexpected. It won't put me off or the usual affluent buyer of high end fountain pens.

Yes, the price is on par with other companies high-end offerings, but I think this is the most expensive regular production pen Cross has ever come out with, so it will be a bit of a gamble on their part. A Townsend sells for about half that. Still, I'm very interested to see one on person. Oversized pens are becoming more and more popular and the slim Century design (for a fountain pen at least) seems to be losing its appeal, which is why I think the Spire and new Century fountain pens were not popular.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

One additional thing to consider is if this is a limited edition or a regular new model. They had a couple of fountain pens about 95 that were pretty nice with screw on caps that they limited to a certain number. That may have an impact on the discount (I hope not!)

Yes, the price is on par with other companies high-end offerings, but I think this is the most expensive regular production pen Cross has ever come out with, so it will be a bit of a gamble on their part. A Townsend sells for about half that. Still, I'm very interested to see one on person. Oversized pens are becoming more and more popular and the slim Century design (for a fountain pen at least) seems to be losing its appeal, which is why I think the Spire and new Century fountain pens were not popular.

The Townsend 20th anniversary limited editions are more expensive that the Peerless - true, they are limited editions, but they are still Townsend. Let's not forget that the 18k rolled gold and sterling silver models, now sadly discontinued, were quite a bit more expensive than the current most expensive Townsend, the Platinum.

The Peerless seems to be a much bigger pen, possibly on a par with the MB 149, or least the 146. It's a gamble by Cross, but a calculated one. Cross has been a fairly dull brand for a number of years and they need a true high-end model to refresh the range, which is too 1980s in feel. Slim fountain pens are mainly geared at the female market, and even here they are losing appeal, so a thick, manly pen will naturally make a bigger impact - literally and metaphorically.

I just hope that the nibs are really sourced from Sailor or Namiki/Pilot.

One additional thing to consider is if this is a limited edition or a regular new model. They had a couple of fountain pens about 95 that were pretty nice with screw on caps that they limited to a certain number. That may have an impact on the discount (I hope not!)

This will be a regular edition - the new top of the range pen. You can compare it to when the M1000 took over from the M800 as the biggest Pelikan fountain pen.

The last major new model from was the Verve, which was a disappointment in a number of ways and soon discontinued. Hopefully this one will come to stay for many years - I think it will do.

Edited by Tancred

No, I'm pretty stoked about it. I like the look. Not too sure about the clip but haven't seen one. As a regular edition I probably won't have to pay retail! And that is always a good thing.

I've noticed a possible additional version of the Peerless 125. According to this Polish forum, there will also be what appears to be a gold filled version with godron lines:

http://www.piorawieczneforum.pl/index.php?/topic/5503-cross-peerless-125-limited-edition-model-wydany-z-okazji-125-lecia-firmy/

Looking at the pictures this would seem to be an 18k gold filled version in godron lines, which would no doubt be the most expensive model - I guess this is why its release will probably be delayed a while or maybe reserved for the European and Asian markets.

I remember the Apogee coming out with the high end 'Executive' range of sterling silver and gold plated models, but this range was pulled out a while ago, probably in preparation for the new high end Peerless range. I also reckon that the withdrawal of the Townsend 18k gold filled and sterling models was a strategic move to avoid having too many top price models once the Peerless arrived.

There were also some pictures on the 'test' Cross website, but they have now been deleted:

http://test.cross.com/peerless-125-23kt-heavy-gold-plate-fountain-pen.aspx

The length of the pen (not clear whether this is the closed or the posted pen length) is stated as 6.16 inches / 156 mm, with a girth of 13.2mm. Weight is only 1.5oz, despite the huge size.

This will be a very substantial pen. The dimensions appear to be close to the Sailor King Profit (King of Pen) or the Sailor 80 type which is used in some limited editions (e.g. the Classic Pens CP7), which makes me even more convinced that this is a joint venture between Cross and Sailor. I'm now very seriously interested!

Edited by Tancred

Apparently the 18k gold filled fountain pen will be a limited edition of only 125 pieces, released in November. It will have a genuine ruby instead of the Swarowski crystal that is on the standard edition pens.

I would expect a pretty hefty price - and it will sell out very quickly.

post-519-0-08414400-1408481039_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tancred

Given my collection's focus on Cross Townsends, naturally the Peerless is also of interest to me. ;)

Found this on the Cross site: http://www.cross.com/peerless-125-23kt-heavy-gold-plate-fountain-pen.aspx -- it provides some detail on the pens.

According to this page -- http://www.cross.com/Search/SearchResults.aspx?Terms=peerless -- every model except the most expensive gold one is already sold out. However, the Cross site isn't exactly a model of efficiency and utility, so I can't say for certain if the information is accurate, etc.

Undoubtedly I'll get at least one of these sooner or later. ;) But I hope they come out with some more colors. None of the ones shown are bad, but something in red, or blue, or green, or purple (to name just a few) would be nice.

I would also like a pony. And a cheeseburger. ;)

MrThoth

Scribe, Master of Mystic Lore, Young Curmudgeon

Given my collection's focus on Cross Townsends, naturally the Peerless is also of interest to me. ;)

Found this on the Cross site: http://www.cross.com/peerless-125-23kt-heavy-gold-plate-fountain-pen.aspx -- it provides some detail on the pens.

According to this page -- http://www.cross.com/Search/SearchResults.aspx?Terms=peerless -- every model except the most expensive gold one is already sold out. However, the Cross site isn't exactly a model of efficiency and utility, so I can't say for certain if the information is accurate, etc.

Undoubtedly I'll get at least one of these sooner or later. ;) But I hope they come out with some more colors. None of the ones shown are bad, but something in red, or blue, or green, or purple (to name just a few) would be nice.

I would also like a pony. And a cheeseburger. ;)

Already sold out? I doubt it as they are not even on sale yet. They are not out until September! Probably just a mistake by the web developers.

Could anyone tell me which country these are being made in?

Does it matter, as long the quality control is good? I believe Cross pen components are made in eastern Europe or the Far East and assembled as pens in the USA.

Does it matter, as long the quality control is good? I believe Cross pen components are made in eastern Europe or the Far East and assembled as pens in the USA.

Used to be (mostly) the case. But several years back, they shut down manufacturing in Lincoln and moved it to China. Edited by blINK

Chris

Carpe Stylum!