St Dupont Laque De Chine Barrel Problem

chunya

Hi,

I picked up a Dupont Laque de Chine, in a job lot, which seems to be in fairly nice condition, and a nice 18K nib, but the main problem is that I can't undo the barrel. It looks as if the previous owner might also have had problems as there are slight marks where maybe a set of pliers (or similar) had been applied.

Anyone any ideas as to how to loosen it?

Many thanks

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chunya

• jar

• Gloucesterman

Top Posters In This Topic

have you immersed it in very warm (not hot or boiling) water?

What about using the rubber coated gripping pliers like you see on Richard Binder's site - richardardspens.com (no affiliation). A heat gun/hairdryer focused carefully on the threads may also work.

Whatever you do, do carefully and progress slowly. Make sure you don't apply to much heat or stress.

Finally, have you researched similar situations here on FPN and/or Google in general?

Be sure to let us know how it turns out and good luck...

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Hi brgmarketing,

Many thanks for your response.

I had tried a hair drier and warm water without success, but after reading your advice I shall try warmer water ,,,, and a lot of patience.

Thanks for the link to Richard's Pens, and those pliers look ideal, the only problem is that they don't seem to sell anything like that over here in the UK. If they do then they certainly don't advertise them too well.

All the best!

Hi,

I picked up a Dupont Laque de Chine, in a job lot, which seems to be in fairly nice condition, and a nice 18K nib, but the main problem is that I can't undo the barrel. It looks as if the previous owner might also have had problems as there are slight marks where maybe a set of pliers (or similar) had been applied.

Anyone any ideas as to how to loosen it?

Many thanks

Dupont Laque de Chine is not a model description. Pictures of the pen in question would help.

Dupont Laque de Chine is not a model description. Pictures of the pen in question would help.

Hi Jar,

Sorry ...... I forgot to mention the 'Paris' bit :rolleyes:

I'll still post some pics.

Here we are, sorry about the quality ....it has an 18k nib ...you can probably just make out where someone has used some sort of grip

fpn_1402169778__dsc05067.jpg

Edited by chunya

That is part of the Classique series. The black section should unscrew from the body. If it does not the prior owner may have used something to 'fix' it. Holding the black section you should be able to turn the body counter clockwise to separate the two.

Thanks Jay, initially I thought that the pen had been discoloured, but having done a quick search with your identification, it seems that it might be the Classique Amber Marble Lac?

The barrel sections will still not separate. I think that I need to use some mechanical leverage, but what?

Thanks Jay, initially I thought that the pen had been discoloured, but having done a quick search with your identification, it seems that it might be the Classique Amber Marble Lac?

The barrel sections will still not separate. I think that I need to use some mechanical leverage, but what?

You should not have to so that is the first indication that something is wrong. The most likely possibilities are cross threading or someone used some substance to hold the parts together. If you want to try a tool I suggest getting a spark plug boot puller like this one and one of the rubber sheets sold to help open jar/bottle caps.