Visconti Homo Sapiens Question

Uncial

@msolok

Hello,

Visconti modified the newer HS with an inlay in the front part.

Picture of new version:

http://www.dg8fbv.de/img2/Mod22.jpg

The blue colour comes from the ink.

I have also an older version without the inlay. I covered the internal by an thin layer

of water resistant acrylic lacquer. You can see the small lacquer overlaying at the edges.

With this I do not have any proplems anymore with ink penetration.

Picture of modified older version:

http://www.dg8fbv.de/img2/Mod1.jpg

If you want to do this, take care that it is really a very thin layer and that it comes not in the

sealing area (o-ring) of the nib.

You can easily damage your HS!

Greetings

Thomas

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Uncial

• Soer

• Tas

• thott

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If anybody do not like the patina of the bronze.

You can easily clean it with an gold polish cloth.

But...after a short time the patina is back :-)

And take care, that you do not damage the visconti label with heavy cleaning!

Btw., for me the HS Bronze is a perfect pen. In design, surface feel and durability during daily usage and

with the amazing Pd nib.

Greetings

Thomas

If anybody do not like the patina of the bronze.

You can easily clean it with an gold polish cloth.

But...after a short time the patina is back :-)

And take care, that you do not damage the visconti label with heavy cleaning!

Btw., for me the HS Bronze is a perfect pen. In design, surface feel and durability during daily usage and

with the amazing Pd nib.

Greetings

Thomas

I've considered removing the clip logo. It is the only part of the pen that I dislike.

Now, if Visconti paid me for the shameless advertising, I'll happily leave it as-is!

@arts_nibs

Had my HS for three weeks now, I agree that it is a gusher and uses up ink fast. No ink window means I'm guessing when my pen runs out. Last night I thought the feed was clogged since the ink was getting lighter and lighter. Apparently, I ran out of ink. A quick refill and all runs smoothly. I don't submerge the section when I fill up, just the nib, hence I don't get the section staining issue. Mine is filled with Iro Asa Gao and writes beautifully. The EF nib is soft and can go from ef to B no problem.

Btw., I read somewhere, when you wet the grip section with water before refilling,

the ink will not easily penetrate to the lava because it's already 'filled'

with water.

I don't know if it helps ;-)

Greetings

Thomas

That's a great tip, thanks.

I know that it is somewhat porous and has little pits and fine holes, but does ink stain it over time? Does the material over time with use become slightly shiny where your fingers would be? It's been out long enough and bought by enough people hopefully, to get some idea of whether certain inks might stain it or if fingers smooth it to a shine

I recommend getting a Visconti travel ink pot to address inky section issues. Prior to getting the ink pot, I followed advice on this forum to wipe the section with a moist napkin prior to inking so the pores are pre-occupied with water. I have not observed shininess over the months of use of my HS Bronze and most recently my HS Steel. The HS Bronze stub and Steel ef have become my workhorse pens, using the pair nearly exclusively to my other pens.

Edited by esqx

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone here try to dissemble the cap of the HOMO SAPIENS.

And do anyone here have problems with the cap?????

Btw., I read somewhere, when you wet the grip section with water before refilling,

the ink will not easily penetrate to the lava because it's already 'filled'

with water.

I don't know if it helps ;-)

Greetings

Thomas

I'm not sure that I would try this, you may end up diluting the ink in the bottle.

@arts_nibs

I recommend getting a Visconti travel ink pot to address inky section issues. Prior to getting the ink pot, I followed advice on this forum to wipe the section with a moist napkin prior to inking so the pores are pre-occupied with water. I have not observed shininess over the months of use of my HS Bronze and most recently my HS Steel. The HS Bronze stub and Steel ef have become my workhorse pens, using the pair nearly exclusively to my other pens.

Thanks. I got one! Still awaiting the pen though.

I'm not sure that I would try this, you may end up diluting the ink in the bottle.

Just need to wipe a moist towel or napkin over the section. Effect on ink would be negligible, if any at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Grrrrrrr :angry:

So the Bronze HS arrived this morning. Pretty packaging, beautiful pen, nice weight, cool looking resin, fancy nib. Dipped the pen and took out some nice expensive paper hoping to enjoy the experience. Could barely, and I do mean barely, write with the bloody thing. Really, truly atrocious. The nib was nightmare touch. Quick examination under the loupe and the right hand tine is about a full millimetre longer than the left and is also seriously misaligned. I wrote two sentences and it managed to collect a little clump of paper fibre. It's going back for replacement (I hope the dealer will replace it). For a pen at this price point, this is seriously disappointing. If I get one that works, I doubt I will ever touch Visconti again. I have honestly never had a nib so terrible.

Oh, that is terrible. I bought mine in a brick and mortar shop and both nibs were inspected before I tried them. The EF was a little sharp, almost scratchy. The F was fine, a true joy to use.

Best of luck with the exchange. Visconti really should be able to deliver a smooth writing pen.

Edited by pmhudepo

journaling / tinkering with pens / sailing / photography / software development

I got one on the way. This was my main concern - Visconti are very much known for poor QC. It's a hit or miss which, at this price point, shouldn't really be.

I got one on the way. This was my main concern - Visconti are very much known for poor QC. It's a hit or miss which, at this price point, shouldn't really be.

But in my opinion if a pen cost 10ct don't mind the QC , but if a pen like Visconti Homo Sapiens cost approx €450,- than the QC should be 100% OK, no cutting corners.

Should be near perfect, that why you pay that much, if I am wrong than someone should correct me.

Edited by Soer

I bought my from a fantastic online vendor here in the UK (www.penbox.co.uk). Having read the horror stories I asked the vendor to test the pen before shipping so as to ensure I didn't get a lemon. He did and my pen writes beautifully. I am truly sorry that the pen you received is such a disaster. I agree that for the price of the Homo Sapiens we are entitled to expect better. Looking for the silver lining, I do hope others can learn from your misfortune and as the vendor to test the pen prior to shipping.

I bought my from a fantastic online vendor here in the UK (www.penbox.co.uk). Having read the horror stories I asked the vendor to test the pen before shipping so as to ensure I didn't get a lemon. He did and my pen writes beautifully. I am truly sorry that the pen you received is such a disaster. I agree that for the price of the Homo Sapiens we are entitled to expect better. Looking for the silver lining, I do hope others can learn from your misfortune and as the vendor to test the pen prior to shipping.

Bought mine from the same place and requested it tested too. I would be apoplectic with rage had I taken delivery of a pen as awful as Unical's.

I agree with you too Soer, a pen at this price point should be faultless.

This is so sad and not doing Visconti's reputation ANY good. :mellow:

Visconti should check all their pens they manufacture before shipping or leaving the factory.!!!!!

Let them start checking all the pens , I think that Mr Dante del Vecchio should do something about the QC.