Levenger L Tech

watch_art

So sometime in January I got an email asking if I wanted to write a review of a Levenger pen for my blog, and in return I would get to keep the pen I reviewed. Heck yeah!

The kind lady from Levenger offered two different types of True Writer, or the L Tech. Well that was an easy choice. I had been eyeballing the L Tech for a while now, and after grinding a nib on one for somebody, was looking a bit harder. Getting this offer was pretty darn awesome.

So I've had this pen for over a month now and I feel good and ready for a review.

First I want to say that I'm not in love with this pen. I really like it a lot, it's got some really great points, but I don't love it. I'll point out why in a minute.

First - Appearance.
This is a pretty cool looking pen. I love it. Beautiful. I think the black is even better looking than the silver, but it's just a stunning pen.

I like the flat ends. I think the way the clip attaches to the cap is really cool. And of course the faceted sides! The knurled grip is really cool, too. The only thing that could make it better is if the black pen came with a black nib. :)

Now - I DON'T like the stylus tip on the cap. I think that's silly, but that's just me.

A friend of mine gave me the black pen to make a plug on the cap, replacing the stylus. See below.

It's functional if you use a tablet and want a stylus. Knowing me I'd tear it up. :)

http://newtonpens.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/xekxxgnuskz-4hqy6hlygqerempjto_wq3hk9cvrsoew980-h614-no.jpg?w=848

Of course everybody knows this looks a whole lot like the old Rotring pens, but bigger, a bit heavier I think, and with another flat. So 7 sides instead of 6.

http://newtonpens.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/vxprr5dbvbfe05adhqzuhywtexojy1084z0ial0njgww1017-h614-no.jpg?w=747

The cap screws on in less than one twist. This thing has 7 start threads! Wow! And they don't offer a bother either. At no point have I ever thought, "man these threads are annoying." They're really low profile. And b/c of the step from barrel down to section, my fingers don't really have a chance to get hold of them anyway.

http://newtonpens.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/sm3xedzb0y96ho1ghr1jgk3rszydbo_aqyzw6wdnudiw817-h614-no.jpg?w=600

It's a big pen, and if you have big hands, you may like this thing a whole lot. I handed it to several of my students to let them give their opinions. Kids with little hands like it okay unposted. Kids with big hands really liked it, especially posted. One of the girls with really tiny hands didn't like it at all - weight being the reason. She said it felt like it wanted to flop out of her hand.

Weight. So like I said it's a bit heavy. This wouldn't be an issue to me except for one thing - the length of the section.

http://newtonpens.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/k7aaiitz-3wdtzsvs_4skiwv0mkrnc23ypyjh0leeygw412-h613-no.jpg?w=302

If I could change one thing about this pen - it would be to shorten the section to the shortest possible length and to add to the barrel what was removed from the section. Then I'd feel more comfortable gripping the barrel where it feels more natural to do so.

gallery_41188_9_37215.jpg

The nib. 10/10. Easily. This needed no adjustments out of the box. I know that there's going to be some luck involved with nibs, but I got a good one for sure. Wet smooth medium point. An absolute joy to write and doodle with. Firm but not a nail. It's a modern steel nib, so don't pretend it'll be flexy at all, but it's not something you'd write carbon copies with.

http://newtonpens.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/img_20140216_195601.jpg?w=600

http://newtonpens.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/img_20140216_195448.jpg?w=337

I will complain about the clip a little. It doesn't fit the pen in my opinion. It's just sort of... there. Kinda curvy and goofy looking. And there's that little clown nose on the bottom, giving it a funny face. Meh. A straight clip would have been more fitting, in my opinion.

http://newtonpens.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/img_20140216_195429.jpg?w=714

http://newtonpens.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/hcazpg1eikiumdcrva3ysypecfjqvkp00ktmdtvy0kww1050-h614-no.jpg?w=770

Something really cool about this pen is that the little knub comes off the top of the cap. knub... The stylus tip unscrews. :)

I made a few custom jewels for a friend of mine...

First a plain black flat jewel...

gallery_41188_9_10333.jpg

Then a green cabochon...

gallery_41188_9_4668.jpg

And an orange pointy thingy... :)

gallery_41188_9_212.jpg

So it's a pen that lends itself to a little bit of customization. :)

Standard c/c filler. Works fine. Love em or hate em - they work and are cheap and easy to replace. No complaints from me here.

http://newtonpens.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/gbuq-3rf514wyuev-qaaue8f0vg9149418jnxc0g22sw460-h614-no.jpg?w=336

http://newtonpens.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/c13kqynws90wyhfc3hcskk2_di6l5j5kyxvojxvaemkw836-h614-no.jpg?w=611

And finally a fancy filtered shot.

http://newtonpens.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/zp6gnw0arpj_sgcpfl2gwkpml4nid19qlwwacxqehxsw907-h614-no.jpg?w=665

And some comparison shots with other well known pens:

gallery_41188_9_39396.jpg

Levenger L Tech - Lamy 2000 - Lamy Safari - Pelikan M800 - Sheaffer Snorkel - Parker 51 - Parker 75

gallery_41188_9_12152.jpg

It's definitely the heaviest of the group.

gallery_41188_9_101142.jpg

It can be found here for $79

http://www.levenger.com/l-tech-fountain-pen-core-6480.aspx

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• watch_art

• opus7600

• Drinky

• Pens Woods

Excellent review Shawn.. I have one of this beauties.. a black one (without the silly stylus). Mine came with a great nib out of the box too.

In fact, all my three levenger pens (two true writers and the l-tec) came with smooth wet medium nibs out of the box. The shape of the pen fits my hand perfectly. I have large hands for a woman (I was told once I should have been a pianist..lol) and this pen just fits.

A black nib on it would have been awesome... :D

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

I had one but just wasn't crazy about the nib. I've heard that TWSBI and Franklin Christoph nibs fit this as well though. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks for the review! I have the silver version and really like it!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I would have loved your take on the true writer. However, this review is probably more useful because I don't believe there have been many reviews on this pen.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

I had one but just wasn't crazy about the nib. I've heard that TWSBI and Franklin Christoph nibs fit this as well though. Can anyone confirm this?

Yep, the #5 Bock/JoWo units fit! You can have all sorts of fun

Shawn, great review. I agree with you on all points except the grip - I really like the section's length.

I also took the stylus nubbin out of the cap, though I took a more permanent (and unsightly) approach to sealing the hole. I filled it with epoxy and the plastic butt of a felt-tipped pen.

Thanks for this review! I have been looking at and wondering about this pen. I do not have a Levenger pen yet, and have been thinking about getting one.

All the best,

T

Great review, Shawn! I have the Levenger L-Tech Stealth (the black model without the stylus button thingie...) and like it quite a lot. It was a gift from my wife this past Christmas (after she consulted with me, of course!) along with a bottle of Levenger Shiraz ink (also quite nice). Mine has the fine nib, and except for it being a little bit squeaky on most papers, is an excellent, smooth writer. The big knurled grip section is perfect for my hands (large but not huge). I definitely prefer to write with it unposted, as it becomes top heavy and unbalanced if you post the cap. The pen itself is quite heavy (and would probably be useful as a self-defense weapon if you were so inclined), but it never feels awkward or uncomfortable, even with extended writing sessions.

Larry

Am i the only one thinking this is pretty much a Rotring copy ( or heavily copied rotring design ) ?

Edited by TakeoJiro

Am i the only one thinking this is pretty much a Rotring copy ( or heavily copied rotring design ) ?

I'm gonna say...no.

Of course everybody knows this looks a whole lot like the old Rotring pens, but bigger, a bit heavier I think, and with another flat. So 7 sides instead of 6.

nice. too bad it is a heavy one. but looks like it has a very nice grip section to provide a better grip for a more controlled writing. does it help?

-rudy-

nice. too bad it is a heavy one. but looks like it has a very nice grip section to provide a better grip for a more controlled writing. does it help?

Yes, the L-Tech resembles the Rotring closely--including the grip...but the Levenger's grip 'grain' is smoother/less gnarly. Still provides the control you ask about, though...

Nice review although it's not my kind of pen. Your person modification was both inspirational and, imho, enhanced the attractiveness of the pen.

I liked the orange with the black pen and the blue (or red) with the silver pen.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Thanks for the review. How hard was it to create a new end caps? Is it easy enough to just remove the stylus nub?

Thanks!

It was pretty easy.

I just had to measure the threads and make the part on my lathe.

Really? Okay, so I know it's not "The Mall", but that means you could make more, right? I've got one of these and wouldn't mind a little splash of color.

Watch_Art, thanks for the review! Mine is the Stealth with a medium smooth nib.

Did anyone mention you can write upside down with this pen very well. The nib lays down a fine line and the ink feed keeps up nicely.

Over all it is a fun pen to write with, and to think it was only $79.

Pete

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man

that he does not know until he takes up his pen to write.

Thackeray

I could make more. Sure. :)

I should have kept one as a template, but of course I didn't. :P

As for writing upside down - yes it did this nicely. Most pens write just fine upside down. At least they do if they're tuned or adjusted properly.

• 3 weeks later...

An interesting pen, to be sure, but what really makes in interesting is that awesome orange jewel. That's really the icing on the cake this pen needs. As my little son says 'How'd you do that?"

By the way, how does it post? The cap on my old Rotring 600 was held in place with a rubber gasket and it tended to wiggle some when you got it up to speed.