Montblanc Masters For Meisterstück L’Aubrac Vs Nakaya Maki-E

christianch

I'm curious as to what the MB opponents dislike about the writing experience so much?

All of mine have been extremely smooth, consistent with flow and start...never skipping or hard to start...They have been the benchmark I compare other brands too..

These other brands that people will step on MB publicly to support have been nothing but trouble for me. They have all needed adjustments to get the performance of my

MB's...

Pelikan...horrible performance out of the box on (2) M1000's. Had them fixed and they are great now...but not that way from Pelikan.

Nakaya. Scratchy with measly flow. Exited the brand.

Sailor. See above. Kept my 1911 after adjustment. It's ok now.

Omas and Montegrappa. All needed Nib work.

Visconti...Better, but still needed smoothing.

Dupont...Closest to MB, but nibs are stiff.

Waterman..see above.

This is the short list...

Fleetlord,

my experience is extremely similar for each of the brands you mentioned. From Pelikan I had a bad nib even in a Raden Sunlight (which immediately makes the Montblanc LE look like a bargain). Omas is fine but for sure the nib is more scratchy. Almost all the Japanese have this "measly flow" and the scratchy part or feedback seems to be a plus to them and not a minus. This is of course highly subjective and two or ten people in a forum sharing the same experience might not be statistically relevant but...I highly recommend to try and test before thinking that Montblanc is too average, standard or even boring. Sometimes boring but excellent is a great thing.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• christianch

• ethernautrix

• mongrelnomad

• Fleetlord

I have nothing against MB's writing experience, I just don't find anything in favor of it. It's just... for a lack of a better word: boring.

Last year or so some friends and I had some fun with writing blindfolded: We got a pen and had to guess which pen it was just from the writing experience. It's not a fair test, because you feel the girth and weight (and more) of a pen, but it was just for fun.

I was lucky enough to recognize my favorite pens and to be able to tell which pen was which pen. But I felt again why I don't favor MBs. They just aren't interesting enough for me (and please note, that it's just a very personal opinion, I don't condemn MB as brand, not at all, it's just my own taste)

I mean: They write very well, no doubt, but just lack character. For me the modern MBs are just like one of a million; and that's not enough to satisfy my preferences anymore.

As you rightly say this is so subjective...Once upon a time I also wanted to buy more obscure brand to stand out or have a less mainstream brand. But as my usage of fountain pens increased I realised a strong difference. Ironically other brands in this range tend to be as expensive or more expensive so I think Nakaya can certainly be an excellent pen if find tuned "for your hand only" as it is their slogan. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I like Montblanc fountain pens. at least the ones I still have. I experienced ink flow problems and leaks with a few of them which put me off considering buying them anymore for a while - until the 100-Year Historical, which I saw and coveted before I found fpn and eventually bought one via Bry. I like EF and F nibs, and the EF on this pen was much too broad. I fixed it (or completely wrecked the nib, depending on your POV), and now it's one of my favorite nibs.

I have tried many, many Montblanc pens - mostly at Pen Posse and some pen shows - and I have been tempted to go large! Nib, that is. But I know that I won't use a pen with an M or B or bigger nib frequently enough to justify spending that much on it. I do have a few pens with broader nibs, and I enjoy using them very much when I do, but they are neither Montblanc nor Nakaya.

The first Nakaya I bought -- I was horrified by how such a beautiful pen had a terrible nib. I had ordered an EEF or UEF thinking it would write like my Sailor 1911's H-EF. After I swapped that nib for a standard M, the Nakaya need set in, not solely because of the nib - there are many brands besides the two under discussion that have wonderful nibs.

Nakaya is my favorite brand, because I love the simple aesthetics of the urushi and tamenuri and the tactility when I hold and write with the pen. That's what sets Nakaya apart from all the other brands I like. Probably every brand has disappointed me with a nib that was not suitable for my writing (that is, nothing wrong with the nib; "it's me, not you") (although sometimes it was the nib - currently have a Delta Vintage with a flawed M nib (thought I was buying an F anyway, so I'm waiting for the shop to receive more stock for an exchange)).

Having said that, and probably having said this before, my favorite nib is the Nakaya ruthenium-plated F. With many, many other nibs tied for second.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Nakaya is my favorite brand, because I love the simple aesthetics of the urushi and tamenuri and the tactility when I hold and write with the pen. That's what sets Nakaya apart from all the other brands I like. Probably every brand has disappointed me with a nib that was not suitable for my writing (that is, nothing wrong with the nib; "it's me, not you") (although sometimes it was the nib - currently have a Delta Vintage with a flawed M nib (thought I was buying an F anyway, so I'm waiting for the shop to receive more stock for an exchange)).

Having said that, and probably having said this before, my favorite nib is the Nakaya ruthenium-plated F. With many, many other nibs tied for second.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I know more than one more experienced users that recommends Nakaya over any other brand. I was using a Nakaya Music Nib for years but then I wanted to go a back to a more medium writing and in that space I feel that Montblanc does it much better for me. In terms of design and finish / art Nakaya has some wonderful pieces but I do like the classic look of Montblanc more !

You are right in pointing out that Nibs are such a subjective issue that it is really difficult to generalise in any way.

For several months now I've been admiring the L'Aubrac but the price seemed a little high - even for MB. At the Sydney boutique last weekend, I was quoted a price well below that of the Da Vinci and about $1K cheaper than I remember being quoted in HK. I don't know if they got the price wrong but i grabbed the opportunity. I do have to say the nib is one of the best I've written with. Ranks alongside the Heritage right now as my number 1 nib to use. I enclose a few photos of the pen with its companion pieces from France. :)

post-30571-0-92301800-1391638788.jpg

post-30571-0-33963900-1391638801.jpg

post-30571-0-58664300-1391638811.jpg

Montblanc POA Series

Congrats for the great acquisition ! Thanks for sharing the photos and including the knifes ! I never saw them here and they look nice but dangerous !

The nib is really great - as good as the limited editions. I also think that compared with the LE Montblanc it is much lighter and usable. I also love the MOP logo at the top and Silver finishing. Enjoy this amazing pen :)

• 2 months later...

For several months now I've been admiring the L'Aubrac but the price seemed a little high - even for MB. At the Sydney boutique last weekend, I was quoted a price well below that of the Da Vinci and about $1K cheaper than I remember being quoted in HK. I don't know if they got the price wrong but i grabbed the opportunity. I do have to say the nib is one of the best I've written with. Ranks alongside the Heritage right now as my number 1 nib to use. I enclose a few photos of the pen with its companion pieces from France. :)

Such a beautiful pen and knife. How can I get the knife anyone know. Thanks in advance

Kind regards,

Max

max-selection.com.au

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think that Nakaya are the best brand, however they do have a lot going for them. I will not go into detail about the craftsmanship or materials (I know, we've all heard it ad-nauseum in the forum), but I will say that the nibs, generally, are excellent. They also come in many many flavours - something missing from many (most?) brands nowadays - and are made in-house (if you accept the association with Platinum without prejudice, which I happily do).

I am no Montblanc hater. Far from it: I own many of their pens, both modern and vintage and appreciate their pens, if not their marketing. They, too, make their nibs in-house. However, I find their modern 18k nibs to be peculiarly soulless compared my Nakayas and my Hakases (and my Auroras and vintage Montblancs too, but that's a different story). They are excellent nibs, they just don't tickle me the way others do.

That said: I am waiting for the custom nib machines to make their way to somewhere I actually visit regularly. The thought of a Montblanc XXF (perhaps in 14k with a little flex) has me salivating.

Edited by mongrelnomad

Too many pens; too little writing.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I know more than one more experienced users that recommends Nakaya over any other brand. I was using a Nakaya Music Nib for years but then I wanted to go a back to a more medium writing and in that space I feel that Montblanc does it much better for me. In terms of design and finish / art Nakaya has some wonderful pieces but I do like the classic look of Montblanc more !

You are right in pointing out that Nibs are such a subjective issue that it is really difficult to generalise in any way.

My other favorite nib (hahaha) is on a Montblanc 100-Year Historical - an EF. It wrote too broadly for my tastes, so I, er, filed it myself - and lucked out in that, after more than several attempts to make the nib write thinner, in a moment of rage filing, I got a superb nib that gives nice line variation.

I've written with many Montblancs (that friends own), and, yes, Mb nibs are smoooooove and lovely.

etherX in To Miasto

That said: I am waiting for the custom nib machines to make their way to somewhere I actually visit regularly. The thought of a Montblanc XXF (perhaps in 14k with a little flex) has me salivating.

Ooo, I can't wait for your report. I know, it might be a while, but I'd like to see that nib.

etherX in To Miasto

I don't think that Nakaya are the best brand, however they do have a lot going for them. I will not go into detail about the craftsmanship or materials (I know, we've all heard it ad-nauseum in the forum), but I will say that the nibs, generally, are excellent. They also come in many many flavours - something missing from many (most?) brands nowadays - and are made in-house (if you accept the association with Platinum without prejudice, which I happily do).

I am no Montblanc hater. Far from it: I own many of their pens, both modern and vintage and appreciate their pens, if not their marketing. They, too, make their nibs in-house. However, I find their modern 18k nibs to be peculiarly soulless compared my Nakayas and my Hakases (and my Auroras and vintage Montblancs too, but that's a different story). They are excellent nibs, they just don't tickle me the way others do.

Got this 149 XF with flex added.Note extended slit and extra hole Do I like it more than my Nakaya Long Piccolo ? Different animals.

fpn_1380723802__mb149ef.jpg

Edited by Pen Nut

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Got this 149 XF with flex added.Note extended slit and extra hole Do I like it more than my Nakaya Long Piccolo ? Different animals.

fpn_1380723802__mb149ef.jpg

Amazing!

Questions:

1. Could you post a writing sample (please, pretty pretty please)?

2. Is it 18k or 14k?

3. Does the second breather hole provide any functional difference?

4. How was the process of testing and speccing the nib?

Too many pens; too little writing.

Amazing!

Questions:

1. Could you post a writing sample (please, pretty pretty please)?

2. Is it 18k or 14k?

3. Does the second breather hole provide any functional difference?

4. How was the process of testing and speccing the nib?

1. Oh ok then......but give me time eh ?

2. 14k

3. Not that sure really. Maybe allows the slit to flex a bit more ?

4. Done by 'Mike It Work' to the order of 're grind to EF add flex & adjust flow'

5. PM sent.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......