After The (Big) Bang

3rdlakerobert

This alumilite blank was made by Jeff Powell and purveyed by Exotic Blanks. I haven't made many pens with alumilite--I just like the toughness of acrylic, but swirling golds, whites, and reds really caught my eye.

I liked the short, sturdy appearance of the little snake pen that I did this past weekend, so I decided to try for that again, but with a more conventional tapered barrel and no ink window or threads for posting. At first I went with black ruthenium furniture--seemed to go with the space theme. I placed the clip on the side where the swirling colors were the most balanced, but it just didn't have any zip. I was disappointed.

Next I tried a polished steel nib and chrome clip. Better. Then I held a gold clip next to it, and that seemed even better, so I moved the clip location to a place over the big gold swirl and went with a two-tone nib. Finally I sent pictures to Renee. She has a great eye for design. She liked it, so it's done.

Length capped 5 1/8"

Length uncapped 5"

Length posted 6"

Cap diameter 17.25

Barrel diameter 16

Section diameter 13.5 at nib opening

Weight 25.4 g

Filling system- Cartridge/converter

fpn_1384394120__after_the_bang_017_800x5

fpn_1384394157__after_the_bang_004_800x5

fpn_1384394193__after_the_bang_015_800x4

fpn_1384394244__after_the_bang_016_800x6

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3rdlakerobert

• InvisibleMan

• WHartman

• hot cocoa

Robert, these shorter pens are wonderful! The snake pen is a great shape to work from, I really liked how you designed that one.I have a couple of alumilite pens, and the material is really durable...it seems tough enough to me, judging by how well it holds up (no dings or dents or scratches despite some impact).

This one reminds me of a Hubble photograph of a nebula. Nice work!

Thats a nice looking pen Robert! Normally I don't like gold hardware on a pen, but in this case it looks good.

Quick question for you if you don't mind... Do you use a buffing wheel? How do you get your pens so shiny? I've done a couple of Alumilite pens and I'm able to get it looking ok, but yours always look fantastic. My PR pens on the other hand shine up without issue.

Thats a nice looking pen Robert! Normally I don't like gold hardware on a pen, but in this case it looks good.

Quick question for you if you don't mind... Do you use a buffing wheel? How do you get your pens so shiny? I've done a couple of Alumilite pens and I'm able to get it looking ok, but yours always look fantastic. My PR pens on the other hand shine up without issue.

I agree that alumilite sometimes won't polish well. This one may look shiny in the photos, but as I remarked to Renee, I thought it didn't take a polish well.

My photos are taken under lights, not in a tent, so pens look pretty shiny. I have a buffer but don't use it. I polish by spinning the parts on the lathe and applying abrasives by hand. Final step is always plastic polish on a piece of clean cheesecloth. Actually, the final, final step is a wash in the ultrasonic jewelry cleaner with a few drops of dish soap--removes oils that collect when I assemble the parts. These polishing methods are pretty standard among penmakers.

I agree that alumilite sometimes won't polish well. This one may look shiny in the photos, but as I remarked to Renee, I thought it didn't take a polish well.

My photos are taken under lights, not in a tent, so pens look pretty shiny. I have a buffer but don't use it. I polish by spinning the parts on the lathe and applying abrasives by hand. Final step is always plastic polish on a piece of clean cheesecloth. Actually, the final, final step is a wash in the ultrasonic jewelry cleaner with a few drops of dish soap--removes oils that collect when I assemble the parts. These polishing methods are pretty standard among penmakers.

Robert, I've actually started buffing just with the last couple of pens, using Tripoli and White Diamond. I have noticed an improvement - maybe not in shine, but in micro-scratches from slightly dirty or gritty micro mesh I'm guessing. Plus, the adrenalin pump I get from the prospects of a finished pen being thrown against the wall makes me feel alive. :D

Thanks for the reply. Cheescloth huh... I'll have to give that a shot. I do all of my sanding and polishing on the lathe, but apply the polish with an old cotton t-shirt. Works well for me with PR, but not so well with Alumilite...

Thanks again.

Robert, I've actually started buffing just with the last couple of pens, using Tripoli and White Diamond. I have noticed an improvement - maybe not in shine, but in micro-scratches from slightly dirty or gritty micro mesh I'm guessing. Plus, the adrenalin pump I get from the prospects of a finished pen being thrown against the wall makes me feel alive. :D

Yep, right there with sky diving and bungee jumping.

The pen is beautiful Robert. I really like that blank...inspiring to say the least ;)

What I found to help a lot with finishing alumilite (as well as ebonite) is to use EEE paste on the sandpaper/micro mesh all the way up. For me I start with 400 up to 1000 and done, but I like a satin finish. Sometimes I'll take alumilite to the buffer if I want a super shiny finish. Only white diamond though. Then plastic polish for the last step.

Edited by Brooks803

The pen is beautiful Robert. I really like that blank...inspiring to say the least ;)

What I found to help a lot with finishing alumilite (as well as ebonite) is to use EEE paste on the sandpaper/micro mesh all the way up. For me I start with 400 up to 1000 and done, but I like a satin finish. Sometimes I'll take alumilite to the buffer if I want a super shiny finish. Only white diamond though. Then plastic polish for the last step.

I always go for shiny, so I'll try the buffer. But I'll definitely tie a string around the clip and loop it around my neck!

I love the pen...but for me I'd like to see some more yellow and red in the blank...just a bit more. This is really a beautiful pen though!

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

I always go for shiny, so I'll try the buffer. But I'll definitely tie a string around the clip and loop it around my neck!

My thumbnails are unbelievably shiny since going to the buffer. Just about blinding, really, if the light hits them just right.

• 5 months later...