Mb 139: Ebonite - Celluloid, Short - Long Window

Opooh

About the Montblanc 139, they exist with short window and long window , also were they made with celluloid and ebonite cap. I have some questions :

1. Did the celluloid version have short windows and the ebonite versions long windows ? Or are there short windows in ebonite and celluloid, idem fot the long windows?

2. Where both versions in production at the same moment? Or was there a change in choice of used materials during the production of the 139?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Opooh

• Maxpens

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

From my experience I can say that the only rule is; there is no rule or system regarding Ebonite and Celluloid. The hardest mix we found on pens from the period during and after the WW2. I detect, for example, the 149 with a cap top and cap made from Ebonite and Casein instead of Celluloid and Casein. Some 139 where only the barrel is made from Celluloid, the rest of the parts are made from Ebonite ( including the cap top ) And then I found the colored mix of Celluloid and Ebonite. As written; no rules or system.

Do not start to think about the system with the different nibs, steel, paladium, 14 kt gold, 18 kt gold. I would say we have a period of time from 1940 to 1955 without rules.

kind regards

Max

HANDMADE PENS : www.astoriapen.hamburg ; REPAIRSERVICE : www.maxpens.de ; by MONTBLANC recommended repair service for antique pens