There Anyway To Keep A Pilot Falcon Nib From Lifting Off The Feed So Much?

Bwassung

I just picked up a nice metal falcon. Its a great pen, but it keeps railroading. I dont think its a problem with the feed not keeping up, but the nibs lifting off the feed to much.

I prefer to fix this, since otherwise I may just sell it.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bwassung

• hari317

• Mickey

• proton007

Had the same problem and got rid of the pen. Not flexing would be the only way to keep the nib from lifting off of the feed.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Unfortunately, I believe that's just the way Namiki Falcons handle flex. As pakmanpony said, the only way to keep the nib from lifting off the feed would be to not flex (which I guess defeats the purpose of the beautiful soft namiki nibs).

Check out my budding pen blog here!

pentheism.tumblr.com

If you're up to pulling the feed (it's not all that difficult) you can reset the nib a bit deeper in the collar. That will make the nib a bit stiffer and reduce amount of flex. BTW, the feed on the Falcon can't keep up with the flex the way vintage pen feeds could. It wasn't designed for it. The Falcon's flex is about feel, not line variation. You can also reduce the tendency to lift off by heat setting the feed tighter to the nib. (This is a bit more challenging, but still not all that difficult.) Finally, you can increase the inherent ink flow of the feed by opening the main ink channel (right under the nib) and opening up (or removing) the stock breather tube. Both of these operations are not for the squeamish and are not reversible, which the previous operations are.

My best advice is to use the pen as intended (i.e., don't mistake it for a vintage flex pen) and enjoy what is a really pretty nice little fountain pen. (You might still want to reset the nib deeper in the collar.)

Now the bad news. It's quite possible the nib on your pen is sprung, in which case, it needs to get to someone who can do more serious nib work than you're probably willing to take on. (I've reshaped the nib my own Falcon, but counsel strongly against trying to do it yourself.)

Addendum: Before trying anything else, clean the living daylights out of the pen, refill with a 'wet' ink and give it a test drive. Accumulated crud in the feed can sometimes contribute to railroading.

Edited by Mickey

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

I don't believe its sprung, at least it doesn't appear to be under the loupe. I did clean it well when I bought it too.

It's a shame there isnt much you can do about this. It really is a nice pen, and there is a bit a line variation.

I watched a ton of videos, and saw a handful of writing samples, and it always seemed you could get more variation out.

Worse comes to worst either Ill keep it as a daily pen, as it is nice for regular writing, or sell it and get a Swan or Watermen. I have a Noodlers Ahab in the mail in the meantime.

Edited by Bwassung

Don't push too hard on it. Its not meant to be used as a flex nib, because the point where it bends is actually where it touches the feed. Push too much and there's no ink.

However, it can give some nice line variation if its the F/EF version.

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

yea, I will have to admit that for casual writing it does offer some line variation. I can squeeze out a bit if I want, just not as much as I was hoping for.

I'll leave it up to fate, if it sells it goes, it it doesn't I keep it. :D

I will probably work on it to increase the flow a bit if I keep it.

Thanks all.

I thought it was worth noting.

I tried the pilot cartridge blue ink that came with it, It flows so much better that now I can get some pretty good line variation with no railroading. I thought it might be a difference between the converter and cartridge, so I filled the cartridge with the previous ink, Noodlers Black Swan in Australian Roses, and tested it. I got poor flow again. I am surprised since Black Swan is said to be a great flowing ink. I'm going to experiment with some Noodlers black, and Apache sunset over the next couple days, both with cartridge filling and converter. I also have some Pilot Iroshizuku Asa-gao on order.

It may just be this pen is pickier than I'm use to from most pens. I can accept that if I can find a nice ink for it that it likes. Both Apache Sunset or Asa-gao are nice inks I can live with.

• 2 months later...

I have found with my Namiki Falcon (Fine nib), that it will railroad if flexed too enthusiastically, but the feed has actually impressed me with how quickly it will catch up. The ink used definitely makes a difference though. The first ink I used in it was Noodler's 54 Mass, which is a favorite of mine, but definitely NOT a great ink for flex writing, or for pens with slow feeds. It seems to be a much more viscous ink, and tends to "gunk" up pens. I would get a lot of rail roading, even skips, with this ink (also does the same in my Noodler's flex pens). Once I inked it up with Iroshizuku Yama-Budo (which I currently still have in the pen), it made a huge difference, and I only get a railroad if pushed too far into the flex range. The softness of the nib is enough that I get nice line variation without applying "flex" levels of pressure. The ink seems to be the key to coaxing a little flex out of the Falcon for me.

I have found with my Namiki Falcon (Fine nib), that it will railroad if flexed too enthusiastically, but the feed has actually impressed me with how quickly it will catch up. The ink used definitely makes a difference though. The first ink I used in it was Noodler's 54 Mass, which is a favorite of mine, but definitely NOT a great ink for flex writing, or for pens with slow feeds. It seems to be a much more viscous ink, and tends to "gunk" up pens. I would get a lot of rail roading, even skips, with this ink (also does the same in my Noodler's flex pens). Once I inked it up with Iroshizuku Yama-Budo (which I currently still have in the pen), it made a huge difference, and I only get a railroad if pushed too far into the flex range. The softness of the nib is enough that I get nice line variation without applying "flex" levels of pressure. The ink seems to be the key to coaxing a little flex out of the Falcon for me.

Its not only a question of flexing too far, its also about the pace with which one flexes the nib. Too fast and you'll see more railroading.

In a world where there are no eyes the sun would not be light, and in a world where there were no soft skins rocks would not be hard, nor in a world where there were no muscles would they be heavy. Existence is relationship and you're smack in the middle of it.

- Alan Watts

If you're up to pulling the feed (it's not all that difficult) you can reset the nib a bit deeper in the collar. That will make the nib a bit stiffer and reduce amount of flex. BTW, the feed on the Falcon can't keep up with the flex the way vintage pen feeds could. It wasn't designed for it. The Falcon's flex is about feel, not line variation. You can also reduce the tendency to lift off by heat setting the feed tighter to the nib. (This is a bit more challenging, but still not all that difficult.) Finally, you can increase the inherent ink flow of the feed by opening the main ink channel (right under the nib) and opening up (or removing) the stock breather tube. Both of these operations are not for the squeamish and are not reversible, which the previous operations are.

My best advice is to use the pen as intended (i.e., don't mistake it for a vintage flex pen) and enjoy what is a really pretty nice little fountain pen. (You might still want to reset the nib deeper in the collar.)

Now the bad news. It's quite possible the nib on your pen is sprung, in which case, it needs to get to someone who can do more serious nib work than you're probably willing to take on. (I've reshaped the nib my own Falcon, but counsel strongly against trying to do it yourself.)

Addendum: Before trying anything else, clean the living daylights out of the pen, refill with a 'wet' ink and give it a test drive. Accumulated crud in the feed can sometimes contribute to railroading.

The OP asks about the metal Falcon (Elabo) pen's nib. Not the FA nib. The Elabo's nib has a short tail, not much manipulation is possible, best recourse is to either use only Pilot ink for best results or to use the pen with a very light hand, the feed has no air regulator shaft....

Even on the Pilot FA nib, the position of the nib and feed are FIXED relative to each other by means of a crimp on the tail of the nib which nicely fits into its slot on the feed. This assembly, in turn, cannot be inserted more deeply into the section than designed by Pilot( which is prevented by the step in the tail of the feeder).

Of course, a talented nib tech can modify the nib, feed, its crimp etc to do all sorts of things with the nib setting, but that is something outside a normal DIY fix.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

The OP asks about the metal Falcon (Elabo) pen's nib. Not the FA nib. The Elabo's nib has a short tail, not much manipulation is possible, best recourse is to either use only Pilot ink for best results or to use the pen with a very light hand, the feed has no air regulator shaft....

Even on the Pilot FA nib, the position of the nib and feed are FIXED relative to each other by means of a crimp on the tail of the nib which nicely fits into its slot on the feed. This assembly, in turn, cannot be inserted more deeply into the section than designed by Pilot( which is prevented by the step in the tail of the feeder).

Of course, a talented nib tech can modify the nib, feed, its crimp etc to do all sorts of things with the nib setting, but that is something outside a normal DIY fix.

My advice was based on personal experience with my own plastic Falcon, not the FA nib on any other Pilot/Namiki pen. I was not aware that this nib/feed/collar was substantially different from those on the metal Falcon/Elabo, as the nib itself appears identical. (Pause to disassemble my pen.) Let me assure you, the position of the nib relative to the feed in the plastic Falcon is far from fixed. While the depth is limited, it is not uncommon for the nib not to be set that deeply. This can allow excessive nib flex, resulting in rail-roading, and can eventually distort the collar, making the nib position even less stable. (I helped someone in FPN with this problem a year or so ago. Their nib was almost 2mm too far forward.) You are correct, there is no separate breather tube (my brain bleep) only a channel on the bottom of the feed, which I believed serves the same function. Again, this is not something I would care to hack.

BTW, R&K Salix works just dandy in my Falcon.

Edited by Mickey

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

My advice was based on personal experience with my own plastic Falcon, not the FA nib on any other Pilot/Namiki pen. I was not aware that this nib/feed/collar was substantially different from those on the metal Falcon/Elabo, as the nib itself appears identical. (Pause to disassemble my pen.) Let me assure you, the position of the nib relative to the feed in the plastic Falcon is far from fixed. While the depth is limited, it is not uncommon for the nib not to be set that deeply. This can allow excessive nib flex, resulting in rail-roading, and can eventually distort the collar, making the nib position even less stable. (I helped someone in FPN with this problem a year or so ago. Their nib was almost 2mm too far forward.) You are correct, there is no separate breather tube (my brain bleep) only a channel on the bottom of the feed, which I believed serves the same function. Again, this is not something I would care to hack.

BTW, R&K Salix works just dandy in my Falcon.

ah, your reference to the removable air exchange regulator led me to believe that you were, in fact, describing the stock feeder for the FA nib where this "tweak" is possible to do.

Also the nib on the Elabo (the name Falcon is already confusing) can be set in only as deep as Pilot designed the assembly to go in. Yes if some incident ( say the previous owner?) pulled the nib out, it should be set correctly in, it is easy to do, just carefully push the assembly in as far as it will go and then come to a nice stop.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.