Pilot Namiki Black

nomadhacker

post-97661-0-90348100-1379977388_thumb.jpeg

Does the world really need another plain Namiki Black review?

This just goes with my recent review of Lamy Turquoise. Another underappreciated ink that is a darn good buy. You get a good solid traditional black ink with traditional fade and water resistance.

The smell is something else. Smells like formaldehyde. Not quite as much as Namiki Blue though. Just hold your nose and write.

http://stubblefield.me Inks Available for Sample Exchange: Noodler's Black, Blue Black, Apache Sunset, Private Reserve Black Cherry, Sherwood Green, Tanzanite, Velvet Black, De Atramentis Aubergine, J. Herbin Lie de The, 1670 Rouge Hematite, Bleu Ocean, Lamy Turquoise, Rohrer & Klingner Salix, Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black, OS Red Rubber Ball, Parker Quink Blue (India version)

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Good Captain

• nomadhacker

• Budzynski

• dasXFnib

I loved the 70 ml bottle. The ink itself...meh. It was black and there are other blacks I like better. However, from a cost to volume perspective, I agree that this is a good buy.

I also agree about the smell. I didn't care for the smell of this ink. Now I'm giving away the ink, but keeping the bottle.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

I agree. There's nothing really exciting about the ink. No bulletproofness or sheen or crazy fast drying. I do wish it didn't have the smell. Then it'd be a better black to have around.

Honestly, I prefer writing with Private Reserve Velvet Black. It just writes smoother. And heard good things about Perle Noir and Aurora in that regard as well.

http://stubblefield.me Inks Available for Sample Exchange: Noodler's Black, Blue Black, Apache Sunset, Private Reserve Black Cherry, Sherwood Green, Tanzanite, Velvet Black, De Atramentis Aubergine, J. Herbin Lie de The, 1670 Rouge Hematite, Bleu Ocean, Lamy Turquoise, Rohrer & Klingner Salix, Sheaffer Skrip Blue-Black, OS Red Rubber Ball, Parker Quink Blue (India version)

I've contemplated this one, from Cult Pens here in GB, to cut with the Blue I got with the Pilot 823. The idea to make some blue-black or dark blues. Having got their proper Blue-Black, I think there's a little room for improvement.

As for the smell - I love it! Reminds me of what ink used to smell like when I was at school. Must be the phenol. Wonderful.

I take your point about it being a basic black but I wouldn't use it on its own anyway; just as a chaser.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

• 2 years later...

I realize that I'm posting in an older thread but I'm hoping some of you are still around.

I was gifted a bottle of Pilot Black, along with a box of other various older inks, some of which are bad (Omas). The Pilot Black looks to be a full bottle but I'm wondering about the smell. Some have mentioned phenol, but mine doesn't smell like phenol like my Sailor Jentle inks do. The bottle I have smells more like Creomulsion cough syrup. But I also have some Pilot Blue Black and I don't really smell anything in it.

Would any of you be worried about using the ink based on how I've described the smell, or do you think that's the normal smell and the ink is probably fine?

Thanks for any feedback!

• 2 weeks later...

I realize that I'm posting in an older thread but I'm hoping some of you are still around.

I was gifted a bottle of Pilot Black, along with a box of other various older inks, some of which are bad (Omas). The Pilot Black looks to be a full bottle but I'm wondering about the smell. Some have mentioned phenol, but mine doesn't smell like phenol like my Sailor Jentle inks do. The bottle I have smells more like Creomulsion cough syrup. But I also have some Pilot Blue Black and I don't really smell anything in it.

Would any of you be worried about using the ink based on how I've described the smell, or do you think that's the normal smell and the ink is probably fine?

Thanks for any feedback!

My wild guess is that it'd probably be fine. Some inks have noticeable biocides in them. They are a lot better than the odor, and worse, of inks that have succumbed to life forms that have taken up residence in them.

If the odor from the ink is just too much for you then give it away. There are plenty of black inks out there, although any number of them will have some sort of odor from either the biocide or some of the dyes.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

"I LOVE the smell of Ditto (duplicating fluid, for those old enough to remember...!;)) in the morning....."

"It smells like......NAUSEA!!!" :rolleyes:

(Sincere apologies to Robert Duvall.....!!)

"'Tis better to have written --- and STUNK --- than never to have written at all!!"

Always try to get the dibs....on fountain pens with EF nibs!!

This and Pilot Blue Black are one of the few inks that my slightly diva-ish Vanishing Point likes to play with.

Perhaps due tho the flow of the Vanishing Point my Pilot Black looks much much darker than yours does.

http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_pilot_black_swatch.jpg

Good inks, like good pens, can never have enough reviews. Thank you . . . :)

• 1 year later...

I really like this ink. What a shame it isn't widely available in the UK.

Try The Writing Desk and Cult Pens. Two options here isn't bad?!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Try The Writing Desk and Cult Pens. Two options here isn't bad?!

I believe we can get Namiki bottles over here, which come in 60ml round bottles, unlike Pilot's 30,70 and 350ml bottles. However, ink in those bottles is the same.

Edited by Budzynski

• 1 year later...

I really like this ink. What a shame it isn't widely available in the UK.

Why do you like this ink? Pilot Black is probably the ink I dislike most out of several hundred inks I have tried. It is very prone to bleed through paper.

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy