Midori Traveler's Notebook

Colors

Since Goulet's is now carrying the Midori Traveler's Notebook, I am strongly considering getting one. I'm leaning toward the passport size, but then I may hold out for the 5th Anniversary special edition.

How many people have the traveler's notebook and what size and do you like it? What kind of paper do you use with it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AlejoPlay

• BillZ

• KrazyIvan

• Colors

Have one and I do really love it. It is a great notebook. Lots of discussion about whether they are worth the money, given that it is a system, which begins with a notebook, elastic and a thick piece of leather. However, what attracted me what the system, the notebooks/accessories that are available. It really works well and while it is pricey, I took it more as an investment. I do believe that the leather will last a long time. The notebook is repairable, in every way. And you can substitute other notebooks. (cf Bandit on the Goulet site). I bought a Pelle from Jetpens, but do not think the leather is as good. The paper is not. I really like the Midori paper in the TN. Again, it is a simple concept, but when you start looking for good paper in journals, things start to get expensive. This is a very reasonable solution and can become quite a handy tool, depending on how you fit it out.

You can use any paper you want with a little work.

Patrick Ng put together a marvelous Calendar that fits in the regular sized TN. I used HP premium paper for the one I printed.

You just have to trim them to the right size

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

I opted for the Zenok Leather version since it fits more readily available notebook sizes. I might order a second one custom sized for A5 notebooks.

I also have an Heirloom latigo small cover that accepts three basic 3.5" x 5.5" staplebound notebooks. I've found both covers to be spectacular.

The Zenok leather is a bit more supple than the latigo but I enjoy the feel of both. If Heirloom comes out with an A5 size I will definitely invest in one.

I've heard the Midori leather is amazing but I'm hesitant to buy something in an odd size like that.

My lovely wife bought me a regular Midori travelers notebook from the Goulets just recently. It's ousted my usual diet of Rhodia webnotebooks. There are a few reasons.

http://s12.postimg.org/6d9p8dpnx/image.jpg

First, the bizarre size works really well if you're not always at your desk. It's much easier to use than a larger book on a lap desk on the couch. This is even more true at the small tables in a coffee shop. I found that I can keep it open beside my (small) laptop to write from a handwritten outline without taking up a whole table. I thought the size would be confining but instead it has freed me to write in contexts which would have been uncomfortable with a larger book.

Next, the fact that I can fit three books in it has made my carry much smaller. I like to keep journals for each of my two large work projects, plus a personal journal. Instead of three webbies, this means one travelers notebook. The bag is much lighter, and I have all the notebooks I need without having to constantly switch them up from my bag.

Thirdly, the choice of paper is pretty good. I love Triomphe and Rhodia, but appreciate the slightly more absorbent papers for the notebook to decrease drying time. I have used both the Banditapple Carnet and Midori notebooks -- I suggest to get a couple of each and see which you like! Next I am going to cut down a thin Leuchtterm A5 to 11cm thin to see how that works in the midori.

Lastly, it looks like Indiana Jones would own it. The rugged leather quickly acquires a patina of surface scratches that suggest a much more rich and exciting life than it's had. You'd think I had mysterious secrets in it, rather than software design sketches and my thoughts on corporate meetings.

Steve

I am also considering getting the Midori travelers notebook. I am going with the passport size, and like how you can customize to meet your needs.

I have one and I love it.

It's very good for a daily carry journal/sketchbook.

I don't know if I would want it for writing my novel (I've been using larger 7 X 10 Tsubame notebooks for that), because I prefer a larger "canvas" for creative writing.

Full size Midori here.

I use Midori lined inserts or the very very good Banditapple lined inserts ordered direct from Arnie Kim who runs Banditapple. They were a lot cheaper than Midori ones and take fountain pen ink well.

I write with a Raden VP using Tsuki-Yo ink. Nothing short of superb on both papers.

I have far too many inserts and extras in my book to move to the passport size, however If i were buying now from new i would probably be buying the Star Edition Camel coloured one.

I am using the zipper pocket, Kraft pocket, have both the lined and the diary inserts and get through one notebook per 2 months writings for me :)

Nothing short of fully customisable and I love it.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback. Can't pass up these cool notebooks and most likely will get one. Just checking an Asian website last night in regard to the 5th Anniversary Star Ferry edition; looks like it won't be released to the US until June. : ( Unless someone knows otherwise, I Don't know if I can wait that long; may just order the passport Midori now.

I bought the passport-sized Midori for a trip to Ireland, and now it's my all-purpose calendar and notebook since it fits so easily in my purse. I love it.

Midori with a Pilot Sesenta VP (special edition, like the Decimo, it's smaller and lighter than a regular VP). I attached an Oberon Celtic charm to the band.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8401/8602959577_bc1fb60930.jpg

I can't stop buying pens and it scares me.

I have both sizes,but prefer the full sized one. The passport sized one is too small for a journal. I use Midori refills. I purchased an accessory today

I love the rugged look of the Midori. I also have three notebooks inserted, and I didn't have to buy extra elastic. The ones that came with the notebook were enough. I made a slight modification by placing the elastic on the spine instead of on the back of the leather cover. This really helped to avoid having "hump" of the knot affect my writing.

I have the lined, unlined, and kraft notebooks in my Midori, which currently serves as the travelling notebook between me and a few friends. Aside from writing on it, you can see us decorating the pages and covers with stamps, washi tape, stickers, and other paraphernalia. I would have used it as a personal notebook, but I found the paper to feather quite a bit with my fountain pens. The Pelle paper was worse, and the Banditapple was only slightly better. But, as a travelling notebook, it's not much of an issue since most of my friends write with ballpoints or gel pens, and I love when I randomly receive it every few months or so, with the leather gaining a lovelier patina every time it comes my way. My friends really like the Indiana Jones appeal as well, as it encourages them to write whenever they get it.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8521/8604437551_cd44a62bdf_z.jpg

@gsalazar

A shared traveling journal…what a great idea!

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.

I bought the passport size in black. I had just received some Field Notes notebooks and they fit perfectly. I have three Midori notebooks loaded in mine. Love the look and feel. I like the rustic quality, but for $60 (includes extra notebooks), I'd better love it.

Deb

I bought the passport-sized Midori for a trip to Ireland, and now it's my all-purpose calendar and notebook since it fits so easily in my purse. I love it.

Midori with a Pilot Sesenta VP (special edition, like the Decimo, it's smaller and lighter than a regular VP). I attached an Oberon Celtic charm to the band.

Hi suzyq2463,

Is that a regular size Midori pen clip attached ? If so, do you think it could also work with a regular VP? Thanks! Beautiful look with the Oberon charm.

I like the look of the Brain Pocket - but searching the web, it seems to have disappeared. Do you know if they're still in business? The Midori looks great, I have to admit, but it's a heck of a lot of cash for a slice of leather with elastic bands!

I like the look of the Brain Pocket - but searching the web, it seems to have disappeared. Do you know if they're still in business? The Midori looks great, I have to admit, but it's a heck of a lot of cash for a slice of leather with elastic bands!

It was made for me by Flickr user Toku_Chan. Her profile page: http://www.flickr.com/people/sukimacafe/

It looks like she still makes leather goods but I am not sure of the Brain Pocket specifically. It might be a little difficult to communicate without Google translator, unless you know Japanese. I was able to understand and she understood me but communication was slow.

It was made for me by Flickr user Toku_Chan. Her profile page: http://www.flickr.com/people/sukimacafe/

It looks like she still makes leather goods but I am not sure of the Brain Pocket specifically. It might be a little difficult to communicate without Google translator, unless you know Japanese. I was able to understand and she understood me but communication was slow.

Thanks for that. I've taken the easy approach and made my own now, using a large off-cut of old leather and staining it brown. Works for now with a Rhodia thick pad inside it, so I'll keep going with this for now, but thanks!