Waterman Expert Generations

tonydent84

I want to get a Waterman Expert fountain pen (another one since the nib got damaged on mine yesterday), and when I went shopping around I saw that there's different "generations". What's the difference between them? How can I tell which generation I have?

I no longer own any fountain pens... Now they own me.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Left FPN

• tonydent84

• georges zaslavsky

• Montblanc owner and lover

I have the one with the bicolor nib, and I saw one that looked very similar to it on eBay, but they called it the third generation. I'm wondering if there's anything different about it besides the number of the generation. For the Expert 1, is that ink on the nib or is that part of the design?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WATERMAN-FOUNTAIN-PEN-EXPERT-3-NEW-GENERATION-BLACK-GT-FINE-NIB-160-S0951640-/261053737960?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc803ebe8

Come to think of it, now that I'm looking at the ad, I think there is a difference in the cap's band.

I no longer own any fountain pens... Now they own me.

I believe the section of the 3rd gen will not fit its predecessors.

As for the 1st nib, what you see is a part of the nib design.

fpn_1343156176__dscn6488.jpg

mine are expert 2

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

Update,

Here is an unusual version...and maybe called a 1B.

It has the cap of a Series 1, double convex rings, but has the wording (between the rings) of the Series 2.

Plus the Series 1 nib has gold plated flanks.

Note: The plastic is not in as good condition as described.

Hmmm, so rare there are 2 on the bay...

Maybe its mine that's the rarer model.

Edited by Force

the first generation of experts had a much more robust and durable snap cap system and the bevelled tri dimensional nib was superior to the second generation nib equipping the second generation expert

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 2 weeks later...

I have Expert First and I love that pen, however I couldnt understand the material of the barrel and the cap? ıs it plastic or recine or what?

Becuse the cap is easily sketched, it better to carry them in a pen pouch.

Plastic and resin are the same. There just are different types of plastics. The Expert I is in plastic. My guess is the Expert II is in brass (half a millimeter thick), with a synthetic lacquer.

The weight difference between the I and the II mainly comes from the material used to make the "coat" inside the barrel. On the expert I, it seems to be a cylinder made of plastic, and for the Expert II, a shorter cylinder made of metal.

http://i.imgur.com/bZFLPKY.jpg

• 11 months later...

I see that the Expert 3 (2012?) can be identified by uneven width rings on the cap. Any differences btw. 2 and 3?

I suspect it was purely a change in styling. To modernise, to smarten up, to make dapper. The broadening of one ring, which now carries the engraving, has made it look sharp.

The V1 and 2's are good sellers and can be had for very little money. Take some niice sharp pics and relist at twice the price.

Edited by Force