Ivory Dip Pen

jasbax

I have an ivory dip pen which was appraised (not by a pen expert) approx. 10 years ago and age assessed as approx 1880.

Quite by chance I found an American website selling a huge collection of pens and pencils and among them was a pen almost identical to the one I have but the pencil was missing on theirs and I have it, it was advertised as French marine ivory and age assessed as circa late 18th century.

Any ideas who I could contact to find out more information.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jasbax

• jbb

• Vintagepens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Jasbax. Welcome to FPN. :W2FPN: Generally speaking there is not a lot of specific information about dip pens and late 19th century pencils. Is yours stamped with any manufacturer? If you post a picture you might get a bit more information. Have you contacted the American website you refer to?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jasbax. Welcome to FPN. :W2FPN: Generally speaking there is not a lot of specific information about dip pens and late 19th century pencils. Is yours stamped with any manufacturer? If you post a picture you might get a bit more information. Have you contacted the American website you refer to?

Sorry - I am making a right Royal mess of this, I have put things on the website and then lose them, however I now understand how it works (I think) I have posted information and a picture in Writing Instruments at 12.24 Friday 8th June.

But for your info there are no stamps on it whatsoever, it is 6.1/2" closed. I was originally advised that the pen was ivory with 18K gold nib and trim c 1880 by an antique appraiser (not a pen expert). I then found this website where a family was selling a huge pen/pencil of a family member who had died. A pen almost identical to mine was for sale as French Marine Ivory late 18th century, making it 100 years older than I was originally advised. I contacted the website and was advised the item had been sold and there was no further information. That is where I am at now.

Thank you for your interest, I hope I have now attached a picture.

post-87120-0-78028700-1339234733.jpg

Wow! That's gorgeous and NOT your run-of-the-mill late 19th century dip pen. :headsmack: It certainly could be late 18th or early 19th century making it much more rarer. What a treasure!!!

Are you into dip pens or foutain pens for writing purposes or is this a one-up collectible for you?

Wow! That's gorgeous and NOT your run-of-the-mill late 19th century dip pen. :headsmack: It certainly could be late 18th or early 19th century making it much more rarer. What a treasure!!!

Are you into dip pens or foutain pens for writing purposes or is this a one-up collectible for you?

Hi, I have regularly used a fountain pen for writing (compulsary at school in the 1950's)but this dip pen came from my husbands family but we don't know where they got it from. When I first saw it about 20 years ago I dug out my old fountain pens which were all Parkers and started going to auctions,fairs, car boot sales etc. and started to build a collection of dip and fountain pens,old pencils and a small amount of writing equipment such as inkwells. The pleasure I get out of it is trying to obtain as many different makes as I can (though I do have a few repeats) and tracing the history of the Companies.

My husband makes or converts the most glorious storage boxes which he veneers and puts marquetry patterns on, each box (3) holds around 50 or so pens. When they are all full I will probably start to trade up, though the collection will abviously have a monetry value I am not doing it to make money.

Your pen is French, c. 1800 -- Napoleonic era. These typically have a tubular nib in gilt silver, less often in hallmarked gold. The two little bumps on your pen's nib could indicate hallmarks on the underside.

Thank you for your reply, I think the two bumps may show some marks but there is some ink in them. I was very careful when I cleaned the ink off the nib and didn't get it all. I will have another go at it and see if I can get a better look at it and if my loop isn't good enough I have a friend who is a jeweller, he will have a better magnifier.

This is all turning out to be very interesting - really glad I joined this network.