Feedback On My Handwriting

keepitfresh

Hello,

So I am basically a noob when it comes to handwriting. I normally write in this scribbly mix between printing and handwriting, but I really would like to improve my handwriting. I learned in elementary school, but didn't really continue writing. I have included a small sample of my writing at an average speed. I have a bit of issues with writing on a consistent slant (is that a good way to put it?). Also, I'm not very sure if it's obvious in this sample, but I have some issues with my letter "r". I never know how to properly connect it to letters such as b, and w.

My writing as the current moment:

post-72388-0-10918700-1337055773.jpg

This is what I wish my writing looked like (I saved this from the "What Does Your Handwriting Look Like" thread for inspiration. I believe this lovely writing belongs to TyGuy) :wub:

post-72388-0-47752300-1337055843.jpg

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind -Romans 12:2

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VillersCotterets

• Mickey

• professionaldilettante

• keepitfresh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://rlv.zcache.com/mother_of_god_rage_face_comic_meme_flyer-p244234752787793144enqon_210.jpg

Sweet mother of ... Actually, it's decent. Just keep up the work. I tend to just copy the same thing over and over again to get my forms just right. :thumbup:

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

My handwriting looks scarily similar to yours :blink: Or at least, I think so ;)

Are you also a lefty, by any chance?

Edited by lovementos

What I did was pick out which letters I didnt like, and try writing them several different ways, until I found a way I liked, then I integrated it into my regular hand, I still think 'r' is the hardest letter to make look good, so you arent alone :P If you like TyGuy's writing, pick out the letters you want to adopt, and write it over and over until it is second nature, then try and use it naturally in schoolwork. Don't be afraid to ask friends which one looks better, sometimes you can get a great insight into how others see your handwriting. One final piece of advice, use an ink colour you like! I didnt think my handwriting looked to good, but when I switched to 'skrip brown' I got a ton of colour variation, and I think that it made my work look better, give it a go!

PS: has my letter arrived yet? a lot of what I just told you, you'll see examples of in my letter :)

Good Luck!

Frankly, I believe your handwriting is more consistent and thus more attractive to me than the handwriting you wish to emulate. Still, I believe I understand the direction you wish to take with your own writing.

I don't think picking letters from various styles to incorporate into your handwriting is sensible, unless you want your handwriting to look like a patch work quilt or a ransom note. The most beautiful handwriting is made up of related shapes tied together in a logical system. Designing a beautiful hand is not an insignificant task. A better approach for you would be to start at the beginning and learn a new set of shapes and their connections through formal study. It can be a lot of fun and, because you will soon see real improvement (not just change) in your handwriting, it is very satisfying.

I'm a fan of monoline Spencerian and its immediate derivatives, usually called business hands. They are easy to learn and there are several inexpensive (even free at iampeth.com) methods for learning them.

Two downloads, entitled "Principles of Spencerian Script," which provides a straight-forward analysis of the hand, and "The Champion Method of Practical Business Writing, " which provides a pretty usable method, are worth considering.

http://www.iampeth.c...an/Dunton01.jpg

http://www.iampeth.c...ethod_index.php

Reproductions of the original Spencer Method copybooks are available on Amazon, as is Michael Sull's excellent book "Learning to Write Spencerian." (His book "American Cursive" is available elsewhere on line.)

From the look of your writing, I think cursive italic might be a good match for you, though not the direction you indicate. If you reconsider your choice, there are number of excellent books for learning cursive italic, but the long time favorite of many on this forum is "The Italic Way to Beautiful Handwriting" by Fred Eager. It is out of print, but readily available used (through Amazon) for around 15 dollars. Also very good is "Italic Calligraphy and Handwriting Exercises and Text" by Lloyd J. Reynold, which is still in print and available for about seven dollars on Amazon. (This was my first italic study book.)

Good luck.

Edited by Mickey

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

I write almost exclusively in cursive, so it's easy for me to read. You have fairly consistent spacing and slant, so no real need to improve there. You might want to work on making certain letters that have multiple bumps or spikes (for lack of better terms) such as your n's, m's, and u's, with the bumps and spikes closer together and spacing the next letter a little farther out - most of the letters I mentioned look like undotted i's to my eye. Again, easily legible for me.

Assume no affiliation to recommendations.

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc453/NoodlersCreaper/sig0001.jpg

Alternative Noodler's Ahab Nibs

"Free" Custom Fountain Pen Cases

I don't think picking letters from various styles to incorporate into your handwriting is sensible, unless you want your handwriting to look like a patch work quilt or a ransom note. The most beautiful handwriting is made up of related shapes tied together in a logical system. Designing a beautiful hand is not an insignificant task. A better approach for you would be to start at the beginning and learn a new set of shapes and their connections through formal study. It can be a lot of fun and, because you will soon see real improvement (not just change) in your handwriting, it is very satisfying.

+1

If you compare your handwriting to your "inspiration", there are two very obvious clues :

1. Don't be afraid of making ascenders and descenders a lot longer. Your f's are not elongated enough. Compare your "fox" with his "forgotten", fourth line.
  2. For the letter r, you have the answer by looking at the words "curious" and "forgotten", on the fourth line. He uses two different r's : one starting down ("curious") and the other starting up ("forgotten")

Edited by VillersCotterets

Looks fine to me.

Changing it will requires many hours of slow practice, you'll need a ton of motivation to do it.

(a prior thread on changing your life's handwriting had someone claiming it was EASY to do so, against my honest warning about the effort required...)

Changing it will requires many hours of slow practice, you'll need a ton of motivation to do it.

(a prior thread on changing your life's handwriting had someone claiming it was EASY to do so, against my honest warning about the effort required...)

Yes, any improvement takes effort and commitment but it doesn't have to be slow, boring, time consuming work. Instead of thinking practice as something you do on the side, after regular hours, only when you are motivated, you can consider each time you pick up a pen as an occasion for improving your handwriting. Don't plan practice sessions. Instead, every written word is a work in progress, a small step toward better penmanship. It started the first time you've picked up your first pen and it will end when you'll die.

Looks fine to me.

You make it sound like the effort can't be enjoyable. It's a journey, the impression of which is determined in large measure by one's motivation. If you are making the change because you feel you have to, it can be drudgery. If, on the other hand, you do it because you enjoy writing and appreciate that self improvement can be done for its own sake, it can be a lot of fun. I'm learning a new hand right now. I practice 10-15 minutes every day, sometimes more. It's relaxing, since I have to empty my mind of distractions to do it. It's a form of meditation.

Golf is a helluva tough game, but that doesn't keep millions of people from playing it or continually trying to improve their skills. Why? Because challenge can be fun. The same is true for handwriting.

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries