Ranga Fountain Pens?

JustinJ

I was looking at EBay and noticed Ranga pens for sale. I like the look of the Bamboo pen model.

I looked in the reviews on FPN but was looking for more information on the pens.

The pens are not cheap at $69.00. Although, they are handmade, which I do not mind paying for as long as the quality is good.

For those with experience on the higher end Ranga pens, how are the nibs?

How well do they work as eyedroppers?

Overall, how would you rate the fit and finish of the pen?

Any help would be appreciated.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JustinJ

• Sagar_C

• raging.dragon

• muskets

I have had the Ranga model #2 eyedropper, and it's pretty fantastic. I've nearly emptied it without it belching ink. The nib is steel, but you can easily swap in a small gold nib if you fee like it. The nib is smooth, and doesn't catch. For $18, there wasn't much that could have gone wrong with my purchase, especially for a handmade ebonite pen. The finish wasn't absolutely perfect, as there were some slight tooling marks, but it was still very nice. However, I took a magic eraser (melamine foam cleaning sponge) and buffed mine out to a nice matte finish. I would not hesitate to buy from them, cause after my first one, I went and got 4 more, to give to people.

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

I don't have one of the Bamboo pens, but I have 2 other Hand made Ranga models. Kandan is the FPN nom de plume of the gentleman who makes these. He has had some of the Bamboo pens for sale on the FPN classified section. Both of my Rangas pens are very well done in colourful Ebonite. Not the usual RHR or BHR or Mottled HR you usualy think of. Pink, blue, green, and yellow mixture for my 2. Both work well as ED's, with the usual ED caveats. ED's have a tendency to burp when the ink runs low, say 1/3 a tank left. That is discussed in depth here on FPN. My 2 have big tanks and, seriously, hold several cc's of ink. You won't run out for quite awhile. One has a Steel Fine nib, European line width, more than SEA line width. Smooth, no scratchiness and a 7/10 wetness scale. Works well with all inks I've tried. My 2nd pen is a special order. Mr. Kandan was quick to agree to my project, did a masterful job and I have a high quality, well done , hand made pen. The custom part is, I sent him an Estie nib and said set the pen up so it'll accept screw in Esterbrook nibs. That way I can have dozens of nib choices XF to B, to Firm to Flexible at a moments notice. 2 weeks later I'm using the Custom pen. It's perfect. His price includes Airmail from India. He's very easy to work with, highly customer service oriented, gives you regular updates via EMail on the progress on your pen. Emailed me to let me know my pen was held hostage by the local post office, go pick it up. Apparently the USPS tried to deliver it, I wasn't at home, and somehow, no notice was left that I should go to my local PO to pick it up.

On the 2nd day of it languishing in the hands of the local postal authorities, Mr. Kandan was nice enough to Email about it. Drop him a line, through Ebay or back channel here on FPN. You won't be sorry you did. Jim

I had a Varuna, which I believe was made by Ranga, though with a Schmidt nib so I can't comment on Ranga's nibs. It was a well made pen, and I was pleased with the build quality.

Thank you for the helpful posts. It sounds like the best option may be to try a custom pen setup for a different nib.

I've got a Ranga Model 2 and a Koh-I-Noor 2mm clutch pencil Mr. Pandurangan made a new body for in ebonite for me to match and I'm very much satisfied with them. The steel nibs are a decent fine point, nothing to write home about but wrote perfectly well out of the box, and I was supplied with an extra nib and feed, which would leave me happy to experiment or customise one in the knowledge that I had a spare. If you've got a favourite nib for custom work, I'd not hesitate to order a pen fit for that - I've got a nice Geha steel nib unit from a pen with a cracked barrel I'm considering having made into a second Ranga eyedropper.

in all honesty, these pens are sturdy, well made and write well. the best part is that you can get a custom pen for a fraction of the cost that others charge. they are very accommodating and will be able to deliver on almost any specification that you may have.

good luck.

rgds.

krishna.

ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.

You may like to have a look at this review: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/182478-a-custom-made-pens-review/page__p__1838361__hl__%2Bcombo+%2Bacrylic__fromsearch__1#entry1838361 on a custom pen made by Ranga pen co. (mpkandan at FPN). I have bought many more from him for myself and to gift friends. I like the construction and they have a very very good customer support. When a pen went wrong due to lack of quality control of feeds, they replaced/repaired them immediately. While I am not against the nib they supply for the price, I think acquiring a nicer nib from http://www.allwritenow.net/veruna.html is possible as well.

Edited by Sagar_C

You may like to have a look at this review on a custom pen made by Ranga pen co. (mpkandan at FPN). I have bought many more from him for myself and to gift friends. I like the construction and they have a very very good customer support. When a pen went wrong due to lack of quality control of feeds, they replaced/repaired them immediately. While I am not against the nib they supply for the price, I think acquiring a nicer nib from http://www.allwritenow.net/veruna.html is possible as well.

Thank you for the link to allwritenow.net . I see that they offer German nibs for 15 dollars more. This may be a better route to go the first time.

You may like to have a look at this review on a custom pen made by Ranga pen co. (mpkandan at FPN). I have bought many more from him for myself and to gift friends. I like the construction and they have a very very good customer support. When a pen went wrong due to lack of quality control of feeds, they replaced/repaired them immediately. While I am not against the nib they supply for the price, I think acquiring a nicer nib from http://www.allwritenow.net/veruna.html is possible as well.

Thank you for the link to allwritenow.net . I see that they offer German nibs for 15 dollars more. This may be a better route to go the first time.

I bought a Varuna sometime ago and the website prices were outdated. If I recall correctly the price German nibbed pens had increased to $85. I have no idea what the current price for Indian nibbed pens would be now.

You may like to have a look at this review https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/182478-a-custom-made-pens-review/page__p__1838361__hl__%2Bcombo+%2Bacrylic__fromsearch__1#entry1838361 on a custom pen made by Ranga pen co. (mpkandan at FPN). I have bought many more from him for myself and to gift friends. I like the construction and they have a very very good customer support. When a pen went wrong due to lack of quality control of feeds, they replaced/repaired them immediately. While I am not against the nib they supply for the price, I think acquiring a nicer nib from http://www.allwritenow.net/veruna.html is possible as well.

Missed the link to the review. Edited to add that now in the post.

I was in contact with Kandan at Ranga Pen Co. last weekend regarding a pen I wanted to buy. He told me that Steve Braun, the owner of allwritenow.net, is not active in business for the time being. I didn't try to contact Steve Braun and decided to order from Ranga Pen Co. directly. Please post back here if you managed to successfully order from allwritenow.net.

Another option is to buy the nib you want from another source, for example here (no personal affiliation). You can then send the nib directly to Ranga Pen Co. They can custom-make a pen for your preferred nib.

Another option is to buy the nib you want from another source, for example here (no personal affiliation). You can then send the nib directly to Ranga Pen Co. They can custom-make a pen for your preferred nib.

This I never thought of! I have to contact them soon again. :puddle:. This is going to erase whatever inhibition I may have. Thanks for sharing.

Both of my Rangas pens are very well done in colourful Ebonite. Not the usual RHR or BHR or Mottled HR you usualy think of. Pink, blue, green, and yellow mixture for my 2. Both work well as ED's, with the usual ED caveats. ED's have a tendency to burp when the ink runs low, say 1/3 a tank left. That is discussed in depth here on FPN. My 2 have big tanks and, seriously, hold several cc's of ink. You won't run out for quite awhile. One has a Steel Fine nib, European line width, more than SEA line width. Smooth, no scratchiness and a 7/10 wetness scale. Works well with all inks I've tried. My 2nd pen is a special order. Mr. Kandan was quick to agree to my project, did a masterful job and I have a high quality, well done , hand made pen.

The custom part is, I sent him an Estie nib and said set the pen up so it'll accept screw in Esterbrook nibs. That way I can have dozens of nib choices XF to B, to Firm to Flexible at a moments notice. 2 weeks later I'm using the Custom pen. It's perfect. His price includes Airmail from India. He's very easy to work with, highly customer service oriented, gives you regular updates via EMail on the progress on your pen. Emailed me to let me know my pen was held hostage by the local post office, go pick it up. Apparently the USPS tried to deliver it, I wasn't at home, and somehow, no notice was left that I should go to my local PO to pick it up.

On the 2nd day of it languishing in the hands of the local postal authorities, Mr. Kandan was nice enough to Email about it. Drop him a line, through Ebay or back channel here on FPN. You won't be sorry you did. Jim

I have thought about their pens as well, but now I am really thinking about what I want for Father's Day -- I may need to get my dad another pen.

eureka.gifeureka.gifeureka.gifeureka.gifeureka.gifeureka.gifeureka.gifeureka.gif

http://www.nerdtests.com/images/ft/nq/9df5e10593.gif

-- Avatar Courtesy of Brian Goulet of Goulet Pens (thank you for allowing people to use the logo Brian!) --