Violet Vs Purple Inks

Bo Bo Olson

According to wicki, the colors I learned in my crayon box are wrong. :embarrassed_smile: :headsmack:

Could be I never learned the color magenta.

I was under the impression that violet was redder than Purple....I can remember having the big box of crayons, and red violet.

Confusion reigns.

Red + Blue = Purple

Red + Blue + Blue = Violet

With allowances for nib width and flex, and papers:

What inks would you call purple?

Which ones violet?

Red-violet?

The only violets I have is Pelikan and Lamy.

I have no purple inks and purple and violet were the next steps on my quest.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• zuku

• JeanManuel

• The Good Captain

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think of purples as dark violets. A violet on the color wheel, with some white added, becomes a lilac or orchid; with black it becomes purple or eggplant.

Purples. Noodler's has several; Black Swan in Australian Roses, Black Swan in English Roses, Nightshade, Purple Wampum, ... I really like J. Herbin's Poussiere De Lune, too.

Of course, there is then mauve.

It is not a question to mauve or not, but which mauve is first.

Rich, French, Opera, Taupe, or Old.

And I was confused enough before with the simple purples and violets. :rolleyes:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I see it like this... completely aside from inks...

A. "Violet" = a bluish red, i.e. at least a somewhat redder, also lighter mix, as in the flower. There are darker, bluer violet flowers but IMO most violet flowers are as I just described.

B. "Purple" for me is definitely a very shightly reddish very dark blue. Like the gowns used from the kings in Egypt from 4000 BC up to at least those of the kings and queens of England in the last centuries.

C. For many of us inkophiles, they are one and the same (especially if you're out on a search). I mean, if you want to beat that, what colour is a "Brown" ink?

Hmm???

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I have always thought of violet as a bluish purple and was actually so bothered by the fact that Noodler's Violet is redder than Noodler's Purple that I didn't buy a bottle of the former, even though I loved the ink.

Okay, now this isn't gonna prove anything, but it is orta what i was gettin' at:

Violet

Purple

Still, for inks, I'll try on anything...

Mike

Thanks for this post. It reminded me that Waterman Purple has been discontinued, so I went to Jetpens and ordered their last three bottles.

Fair winds and following seas.

Thanks for this post. It reminded me that Waterman Purple has been discontinued, so I went to Jetpens and ordered their last three bottles.

What? Ack! I'd better get my hands on at least one more bottle of that, too. Maybe I'll drop over to VPS on my afternoon break...

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

Oh dear. I thought violet was red-purple & purple was blue-purple. All I know is that I'll covet my bottle of Waterman Purple, labeled in French as "encre violette." Oy.

~Jaime

(she/her)

Okay, I give up.. Sooo, yer inta purple are ya?

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/PrincessPatriciascoronet.jpg

Now that is what I'd call "purple". (The underlined black script was done by me).

I'll come across, I guess as far as "purple" is concerned, I wanna get my inks off.

Mike

violet is a base color, purple is a mix of voilet and other colors

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing

That is more of technical language than common culture. And I am sure it depends on the country, if not on the manufacturer or line of work. Check the "purple" wikipedia page in different languages.. the french approximation, "pourpre", which also designates the shell and its pigment (cf. Roman Emperors's toga), is almost "Bordeaux" (the color of the wine from around the city of the same name).

Without fear for being cliché, I send you to this page http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vin_rouge about red wines.

Please scroll down or search "Évolution des couleurs du vin rouge" and you will see different colors of wines in a little frame, among which "violet" (En. Violet) and pourpre (En. purple).

Lapis proposed the opposite. But it is possible that in Germany, it actually is the opposite. http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purpur_%28Farbe%29

How these colors and color names are defined: I suppose it comes partly from tradition, but also from the availability and variability of the reference pigments (in this case pourpre pigment, and the violet flower), and then the subsequent industrial standardization. In some cases it is possible that the pigment was not available, and the color was reproduced by memory. Or the reference ingredient got altered (e.g. an aging painting). Or two countries were getting slightly different species of flowers. Or even, the industrials could not produce a satisfying color, so they marketed their best result under the name of the original, thereby setting a new reference.

Who knows.

But colors are never an easy matter as they depend on the observer, the lighting/pigment or dye (in the case of paint/ink), or the lightsource/filter (in the case of a screen), and also the environment because the human brain tries to equalize colors. If you don't believe me cover your eyes e.g. with something green for 5 minutes and you'll see red afterwards. It's also a good way to discover the meaning of "opposite colors" :)

The only thing reliable, is the measure of the light spectrum.

Everything is impermanent.

Okay, now this isn't gonna prove anything, but it is orta what i was gettin' at:

Violet

Purple

Still, for inks, I'll try on anything...

Mike

Anyone else think the "violet" flower looks purple and the "purple" capes look violet?

Violet is towards Red. Purple is towards Blue.

Hey, where's the "purple"?

Mike

I think only the violet flower looks purple.

The capes looks... like shiny velvet blue, Kung Te-Cheng'ish like... sort of.

A Fountain Pen is never just a Fountain Pen.

Mike

Purple would be Blue-Violet (which is Red-Violet on the third image).

EDIT: I was confussed.

Edited by zuku

A Fountain Pen is never just a Fountain Pen.

I have always thought of violet as a bluish purple and was actually so bothered by the fact that Noodler's Violet is redder than Noodler's Purple that I didn't buy a bottle of the former, even though I loved the ink.

Yeah, this irritated me, too, when I bought Violet and actually got the ink that I thought should be called Purple. A friend loaned me the Purple, and that was more like what Violet should be.

Mike

Purple would be Blue-Violet (which is Red-Violet on the third image).

EDIT: I was confussed.

Does this help?

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"