Learning The Palmer Method Of Business Writing

DLindenbaum

http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh533/sirShiggy/HandwritingAchievementGET.jpg

Okay, so I'll admit, I didn't get as much practice in as I wanted to or intended too, but my procrastination has gone on long enough! Besides, I really missed the FPN :D It feels good to be back. I know my handwriting hasn't improved DRAMATICALLY but it still is and probably always will be a work in progress. I feel like my work is now legible enough to not require a transcript, finally! Once I get more advice on how to improve my writing then I will of course implement it and then start work on learning an extremely ornamental script. I have now that I have moved back to the US, recieved a huge number of complements on my handwriting, and many people have shown interest in my pens, so now I have achieved my goal :) The same people who, 4 year ago, deemed my handwriting illegible are now complimenting it :D (I moved back to the same town I lived in when I was younger)

And of course the next step along with an ornamental font is improving my quality of language, and becoming a better writer, something that I have been focusing on since about last March :)

If it hadnt been for you guys my handwriting would still be horrendous (and I know there are some of you right now who are silently thinking that it still is horrendous) so I would just like to extend a big THANK YOU! to every single fantastic memeber of the Fountain Pen Network :)

Edit: Also, my printer enlarged the size of my scan, and it makes my hand look bigger than it really is (and IMO worse) so if you want to see it as it really looks, adjust your browser size to 80% because I have no idea how to fix it! Although the larger size makes spotting ways to improve a little easier....

Edited by sirShiggy

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thang1thang2

• vivere

• fast14riot

• Mickey

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Glad so see your progress, I was beginning to wonder where you had got to! With regard to your letter forms and feeling like they are inconsistent all I can say is keep practicing. I am no means a caligrapher or expert on the subject but I have been practicing for over 6 months and never thought I would get consistent letter forms. It is only since you started this thread that I became re-focused on getting the Palmer letter forms and I can now look at my writing and be happy with it. At the end of the day as long as you are happy with the improvement in your writing thats all that matters. Anyway I have attached a before and after of my writing and my battle to convert from backslant writing! Good luck in USA.

post-81659-0-45866400-1347819412.jpg

post-81659-0-05134700-1347825426.jpg

Edited by Bingy

Bingy, your handwriting is amazing, I admire it so much! I'm so glad you didn't give up practising!

Here is my beginning attempt to learn Palmer. I'm a "hook-over lefty" so that is a major stumbling block to learning styles like Palmer, Spencerian and Copperplate. I have to use the "southpaw push" (i.e. I tend to push the nib rather than pull it, which means my nib tends to catch on the paper a lot and even splatter ink at times). But I love this style and am trying to learn it.

Here I used my homemade pomegranate iron gall ink with a dip pen (with a Birmingham Pen Company #205 nib) on Hammermill Bond paper (old stuff). I used a guidesheet underneath the writing sheet. Still rather wibbly-wobbly, though, even with the training wheels!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8314/8003413360_f1d000b8dd_b.jpg

Edited by fiberdrunk

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

So sorry guys! You see, in that gap of time, I moved from jolly old England to the grand ole us of a! I've had no Internet for 2 months and no fountain pens either! I am pleased to say that my handwriting has improved drastically, producing a good Palmer by the end of my exams, but I've not picked up a pen in two months, and I've just got my pens back today, let me practice a bit before I have to post my progress again!

Well let my start by saying thank you for this thread, I have been thinking of changing my cursive as well and I think this is the time for change. I hope you like the US and find it an easy switch. The best of luck to all of us to the ultimate goal of self improvement. :thumbup:

Here is my beginning attempt to learn Palmer. I'm a "hook-over lefty" so that is a major stumbling block to learning styles like Palmer, Spencerian and Copperplate. I have to use the "southpaw push" (i.e. I tend to push the nib rather than pull it, which means my nib tends to catch on the paper a lot and even splatter ink at times). But I love this style and am trying to learn it.

Have you ever been able to convert to writing under like most right-handers write? You tilt the page the other way, but that's how I write when I'm writing left handed, I've always hated the hook method with cheap ball-point pens and I cringe at the thought of using it with a actual nib.

Best of luck to learning Palmer, though, it's a script that I want to learn too. Just have to stop cheating and actually work on the exercises from the beginning, stupid circles and all.

• 4 weeks later...

Have you ever been able to convert to writing under like most right-handers write? You tilt the page the other way, but that's how I write when I'm writing left handed, I've always hated the hook method with cheap ball-point pens and I cringe at the thought of using it with a actual nib.

Best of luck to learning Palmer, though, it's a script that I want to learn too. Just have to stop cheating and actually work on the exercises from the beginning, stupid circles and all.

Sorry I didn't answer this. It didn't come up in my topics tab for some reason and I totally missed it. I've been experimenting with tilting the paper in different ways. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not. I think my brain can't translate tilt and wants it upright.

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

I am a little new to this, but i will jump in and bite.

First day at trying this.

Here is today's practice.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/552701_356472497776399_1963884775_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/r90/579142_356472724443043_273653418_n.jpg

Tomorrow is another day for learning.

~Aaron

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

I'm new here. I never post anywhere on the internet, but I wanted to join this thread. I hope you guys haven't lost interest yet. I've been working on the Palmer method for a couple days now. I'm just looking to improve my daily handwriting.

Everyone's samples look so great. I'll post some of mine, but right now I'm at work with an iPhone.

Keep it up!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

Palmer folks, help!

So I was taught "cursive italic" in school as near as I can tell. I learned it poorly, it never worked for me and my handwriting is horrific. I want to make it better.

Palmer business looks like the place to start. But I'm having trouble. I see references other places to this being "muscular" writing vs "finger" writing and that the whole arm moves (only the ring and pinky finger resting on the desk.) But on the Palmer method site where it has the drawings of the kids in proper position it does NOT mention this fact. It actually mentions resting the elbow on the desk.

So I'm confused. Do I rest my right arm on the desk or don't I?

Three points of contact: 1) the pad of muscle just forward of the elbow, 2) The little finger nail or there abouts*, 3) the point of the nib, in descending order of pressure. The loose pad of muscle works as a kind of bearing, stabilizing the forearm and hand parallel to the desk, while providing some support in the vertical direction. The arm should be free to move, but you don't have to hover the arm free of the desk. The arm rests lightly on the pad, you do not lean on it.

* This area of contact could include anything from just the side of the last knuckle of the little finger to the nails of the ring and little finger. The most important point is that the fingers curl under and that the contact is light.

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

I have not lost interest, I have been practicing nearly every day. If not the lessons then a letter here and there. okay i am back on, i have lost power i on via generator now.

I wonder, is there any way we can get a mod to consolidate the two palmer method threads on here? It seems a bit difficult to read both and have two strains of learning of the same script.

That being said I think I'll post some things soon.

yeah, unfortunately when I started this thread the other palmer thread didnt pop up in my searches, but it seems that the other palmer thread has only just recently been dug up, I wonder what we can do >:?

yeah, unfortunately when I started this thread the other palmer thread didnt pop up in my searches, but it seems that the other palmer thread has only just recently been dug up, I wonder what we can do >:?

For now I think we'll just continue as on and maybe message a mod about it? I went ahead and messaged salman so we'll see what happens.

If it makes you feel better your thread is my favorite ;)

Hi all - merged the two threads together. The original thread takes precedence on the title so the name has changed.

There has only been a couple of posts in October in the original thread that will overlap with the current one - all previous posts in the original thread are from Feb 2012 or older while the current one started in May 2012.

Have fun learning Palmer/Business.

Salman

How timely! I've been interested in improving my handwriting for quite a while now. A friend on Badger and Blade gifted me my first FP, a Pilot Varsity. I just made a big upgrade to a Walgreen's Zebra V.301! :ltcapd: Since receiving the FP, I've become keenly aware how poor my handwriting currently is. I found the Palmer method, and printed the whole book (aren't pages so much better than a screen?). My only issue with practicing is that it can only be effectively done at work, where I have a large (sometimes even clean) desk. However, most of my writing is done at school in either large lecture halls with tiny, cramped desks or rooms with computers on small work areas.

Can Palmer be done appropriately when writing in cramped environments like that? I'll post an example of my atrocious writing in a few minutes.

Here is my current handwriting.

I was taught cursive in 4th grade (best teacher I ever had. She was a calligrapher too), but abandoned it as soon as teachers stopped demanding we use it. I was never very good at it, as I always had to think about how to form the letters. It's never come naturally. You can see I have long way to go to becoming an effective business writer.

handwriting%2B11-2-2012.JPG