Staples Composition Notebook Sale: $.77

Bookman

Pricey at the regular $2.49, at $.77 they're a terrific bargain. Caveat emptor: Make sure you're buying the "Made in India" version, not Mexico or Vietnam or Egypt, as the Staples-brand composition notebooks are made in all four places. The "Made in India" paper is smooth: I would give it a 4.25 out of 5. I've seen no feathering. Show-through, however, is no better than average for a composition notebook.

post-30711-0-30949000-1308932445.jpg

post-30711-0-11314200-1308932495.jpg

Back side of sheet.

post-30711-0-24495900-1308932541.jpg

post-30711-0-48958800-1308932615.jpg

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bookman

• watch_art

• framos917

• New_Falcon

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the heads up. I bought quite a few of their Sustainable Earth notebooks when they were recently on sale. I will go by Staples and stock up on these.

Lamy and Chinese (Duke and Hero) Pens

Private Reserve Inks

Moleskine, Rhodia and Clairfontaine

the made in Brazil Norcom comp books are better w/ regard to show through.

I've searched for these in my neck of the woods at all the office supply superstore chains plus Target and Walmart. None has them. Where else might they be?

How do these compare to the Sustainable Earth notebooks, I quite like those but don't really like the wire spiral binding. Being left handed it always annoys me.

Maybe we should put together a list of things to look out for when the back to school sales start.

WTT: My Lamy 2000 Fine nib for your Lamy 2000 Broad nib.

How do these compare to the Sustainable Earth notebooks, I quite like those but don't really like the wire spiral binding. Being left handed it always annoys me.

Maybe we should put together a list of things to look out for when the back to school sales start.

Which is why I write in spiral-bounds from the back... :lol:

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I've searched for these in my neck of the woods at all the office supply superstore chains plus Target and Walmart. None has them. Where else might they be?

The only ones I found (besides the ones that students left behind at school) were at walmart and are the hardcover versions. They're the same size, but have a little less paper, but at only $2 a piece, I'll still buy them up. The covers are solid colors. None of the splotchy black and white stuff.

The only ones I found (besides the ones that students left behind at school) were at walmart and are the hardcover versions. They're the same size, but have a little less paper, but at only $2 a piece, I'll still buy them up. The covers are solid colors. None of the splotchy black and white stuff.

Thanks. My two closest Walmarts didn't have them. They might've had Norcom from Mexico or Vietnam. I don't remember what they had, only what they didn't. I'll try other Walmarts as I encounter them in my travels.

I found Norcom made in Egypt comp books at Wegman's the other day. Wide rule, so I didn't buy any.

Do the Staples books come in narrow rule?

Let there be light. Then let there be a cat, a cocktail, and a good book.

I did find "Made in Brazil" Norcoms this afternoon at a Walmart I hadn't been to in a while. I bought one to test. I agree with watch_art that its paper is more resistant to show-through than the "Made in India" Staples composition. Otherwise, the papers are essentially equal. Perhaps the "Made in India" paper is slightly smoother. I think the main differences between the two notebooks are the covers and the prices. I paid $.40 for the Norcom, and even Staples's sale price doesn't compete—forget the regular $2.49 price. But the Staples-brand notebook has a stiff cover; so if you're inclined to write on the back side of sheets, the front cover comes in handy as a solid writing surface. I don't think that's worth an extra $2.10, but for me it's worth an extra $.37.