Waterman's "ideal" Fountain Pen

Skyline74

Hello,

This is the pen that got me started collecting vintage fountain pens. It's a Waterman's Ideal Fountain pen in mint condition along with it's original box and leaflet.

There are two numbers on this pen. One is the number "42" engraved on the base and the other is the number "2" on the nib. I'd like to know what these numbers mean.

Thanks.post-68454-0-30344200-1302600107.jpgpost-68454-0-53592500-1302600158.jpgpost-68454-0-58727900-1302600225.jpgpost-68454-0-20012900-1302600273.jpgpost-68454-0-59635200-1302600314.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Procyon

• Skyline74

• flighter51

• SlipyNaricis2112

The model number of the pen is a 42, (safety, I believe) and the 2 on the nib represents the size (of the nib, I should add).

Edited by SlipyNaricis2112

The above poster is correct. The 4 in the ten's place is for a "safety" pen - one with retractable nib and threads that completely close up the pen, so you can safely carry it around without worrying about leaks. The last number is the nib size. So this is the safety pen equivalent of the famous Waterman's 52 - the 5 in this case meaning lever filler. The eye-dropper equivalent would be the Waterman's 12. If you are interested, here is a link to David Nishimura's site explaining the numbering system.

link

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx

Skyline74, I forgot - I wanted to ask you if you actually use the 42 you showed us. If so, I was curious to know how messy it is. I only have one safety pen and the mechanism is broken in it - so I have never inked it.

Safety pens always seemed like a terrible idea to me - the whole nib swimming in ink, the cap coated with ink inside, etc. Seems like when you go to write with it and open it up you would have to have a box of kleenex ready. I can see it would be nice to carry it in your pocket or purse without leaking, but using it appears to me to be much nastier than with other pens.

I know you didn't ask me, but fixing the seals is difficult. However, when done properly they aren't that messy or that big a hassle. That said, I HATE fixing these.

fern

I know you didn't ask me, but fixing the seals is difficult. However, when done properly they aren't that messy or that big a hassle. That said, I HATE fixing these.

fern

Glad to get your response. Isn't ink on the inside of the cap? Surely, you can't post it without getting it all over the barrel?

Ink does get on part of the inside of the barrel -- but that part is only the face of the cylindrical block that closes up the end of the barrel. That is quite a ways from the mouth of the cap, where it posts.

The one thing you have to be careful about is extending the nib, since sometimes a film of ink is present across the barrel opening once the pen is uncapped, and extending the nib pops the film. Microdrops of ink then go flying. Otherwise, a safety is very practical -- at least for those who are careful and willing to take the extra care required to use them.

As for repair, it's not at all hard now that one doesn't have to use cork. You can see illustrated instructions here.

I have several Waterman's safety fountain pens that I have used and actually carried in my shirt pocket. They are fairly practical but they do require a little extra care as David mentioned, but I enjoy taking extra time with a vintage fountain pen. I have actually replaced the cork in a couple of these pens now with the replacement seals from David and really wasn't all that hard.

Skyline74, I forgot - I wanted to ask you if you actually use the 42 you showed us. If so, I was curious to know how messy it is. I only have one safety pen and the mechanism is broken in it - so I have never inked it.

Safety pens always seemed like a terrible idea to me - the whole nib swimming in ink, the cap coated with ink inside, etc. Seems like when you go to write with it and open it up you would have to have a box of kleenex ready. I can see it would be nice to carry it in your pocket or purse without leaking, but using it appears to me to be much nastier than with other pens.

Thanks Procyon for your reply. I haven't used this pen, but I guess the other replies have answered your query. hope you get your pen fixed.

I have several Waterman's safety fountain pens that I have used and actually carried in my shirt pocket. They are fairly practical but they do require a little extra care as David mentioned, but I enjoy taking extra time with a vintage fountain pen. I have actually replaced the cork in a couple of these pens now with the replacement seals from David and really wasn't all that hard.

Completely agree with you! Vintage pens (and safety pens, specialy!) bring you back in the past when people did not hurry as we do today. This "extra care", as you say, is part of the pleasure to use old fountain pen. And replacing seals of Waterman safeties is easy.

Pierre

• 2 weeks later...