Noodler's V-mail Midway Blue

withoutink

You can find the full review on my blog, here is a direct link to the full review: Noodler’s V-mail Midway Blue Ink Review

Noodler's V-mail Midway Blue...

I must confess, I don't use many of the Noodler's inks, as I haven't really purchased or tried many of them. So, Noodler's in general is pretty new to me... I saw this color in a recent review here on FPN and I HAD to have it. I love the color and the shading. I purchased this ink at the Miami Pen show (this past weekend). I loaded the ink up into an Esterbrook and used a new to me vintage Osmiroid Italic Straight Broad nib. I really like the effect the nib produces.

The color is very pleasant to the eye, shading is nice, the ink seems rather well behaved. My only real complaint is that it seemed very dry. A little too dry for me, but in all fairness... That could be the nib. There was a tiny bit of show through (not at all bad), no bleed through, feathering etc. The ink dries in ~2 second or less. So smearing isn't too much an issue (again, this might just be due to my choice of nibs). It fared pretty well in my water test.

All in all a nice ink.

As with all inks, remember that Noodlers fills their bottles to the tippy top. So be careful when opening, I inevitably spill a bit.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4135/4813874634_d764fbaeba_b.jpg

Cheers-

withoutink

"Do Nothing Which is of No Use." - Musashi Miyamoto (Ancient Swordsman from the 1600's)

withoutink.com | twitter | facebook

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• blopplop

• withoutink

• wvbeetlebug

Thanks for the review "withoutink". this ink reminds me of noodlers navajo turquoise. It looks like it has some stupendous drying timethumbup.gif.

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

Thanks for the review "withoutink". this ink reminds me of noodlers navajo turquoise. It looks like it has some stupendous drying timethumbup.gif.

I have a sample of this you can try.

Dave

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

http://www.the-highw..._questions.html

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/blopplop/fpn-verm.jpg

It's amazing to me the different experience that people seem to be having with this ink. You and others mentioned little to no bleed through. While my experience (and others) has been that this ink bleeds through more than any ink I've used on all type's of paper--even Claire Fontaine 90 weight. I'm becoming more and more convinced that there must be big differences among the batches that Noodlers has produced.

I do love the color, though, which is why I keep using it.

Dave

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

http://www.the-highw..._questions.html

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/blopplop/fpn-verm.jpg

Thanks for the review! Also good to hear that nib is working out for you.

:thumbup:

:happycloud9:

Cathy L. Carter

Live. Love. Write.

as far as the bleeding, that may be due to the Osmiroid italic nib I used. I have heard that you need a wetter nib to bring the ink to its full potential, which in turn will probably cause more bleeding. YMMV

Cheers-

withoutink

"Do Nothing Which is of No Use." - Musashi Miyamoto (Ancient Swordsman from the 1600's)

withoutink.com | twitter | facebook

It is the nib you are using. I have Midway Blue in a Falcon right now, and it's not a dry ink. More ink on the paper, the more bleedthrough--but I think that's true of just about any ink. It's one of my favorite blue inks!

Much Love--Virginia

I'm becoming more and more convinced that there must be big differences among the batches that Noodlers has produced.

I have come to suspect the same thing. Feathering is one thing that seems to vary with different batches (different amount of surfactants??), and the concentration level (i.e. saturation) is another. I've heard about some people getting bottles of Noodler's that wouldn't even work in their pens without dilution.

That is a great color. I agree with you on that the shading looks great.

There was never yet an uninteresting life. Such a thing is an impossibility. Inside of the dullest exterior there is a drama, a comedy, and a tragedy. - Mark Twain

When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on. - Franklin D. Roosevelt