Parker Holy Water Sprinkler!

Bazookajoe85

I have acquired this Parker holy water sprinkler not long a go. Its brand new with instruction manual, hard case and paper case. Any one knows any thing about it? It has Popes insignia. Any offers? my email roland85@vp.pl

post-46286-089018800 1278388500.jpg

post-46286-060579700 1278388511.jpg

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• furple

• Bazookajoe85

• jar

• sombrueil

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd pay $15 as we have one heck of an infestation of vampires in these parts and carrying such a device in the brest pocket might come in very handy indeed!

A proud member of the Pittsburgh Fountain Pen Club

Fall Down 7, Stand Up 8

This holy water sprinkler was used by Roman Catholic religious to carry holy water on the go, as when a priest might visit a parishioner's house to perform a blessing on the house, sprinkling holy water during the ceremony. The only one of these I saw happened when I was about 4 years old, so I don't remember the particulars. This item might also be used when a priest visited a sick parishioner, etc. Holy water was and is frequently sprinkled as part of religious rites and blessings.

These Parkers were one kind of holy water carrier.

This isn't so much a pen item, but it is a religious article and shouldn't perhaps be ridiculed.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I don't think it is the Popes insignia. This symbol is a chi-rho which has been very widely used by Christians for centuries. The symbol is made of the first 2 letters of Christ's name in greek - p & x and I believe was used as a secret symbol by persecuted Christians.

Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

Philippians 4.8

I can't speak to the rarity of these, though would guess they are fairly rare. I know that Parker made these for other of their models as well as other pen Companies produced them. Definitely an interesting collecting niche.

Thank you for the photos.

Phil

Did the ever make one for holy smoke?

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

I looked all over the web to find out more about it but no success. Spoke to few collectors over email. But no one exactly knows any thing about it. Every one says its really rare and it must be valuable. I did some research on a person I got it from. And its possible this Parker sprinkler was a gift from a Pope to a priest during some kind of anniversary ceremony. Not sure 100% tho. I would love to know what can it be worth tho!?!

I looked all over the web to find out more about it but no success. Spoke to few collectors over email. But no one exactly knows any thing about it. Every one says its really rare and it must be valuable. I did some research on a person I got it from. And its possible this Parker sprinkler was a gift from a Pope to a priest during some kind of anniversary ceremony. Not sure 100% tho. I would love to know what can it be worth tho!?!

It is very unlikely it is rare or valuable or has any connection with a pope or even the Roman Catholic Church. Lots of specialty pens were made by the major companies as well as the second and third tier companies, ones to hold thermometers for doctors, ones like this to hold holy water, ones that had a magnifying glass or tools in them.

Actually I got it from Roman Catholic priest that died not long a go. And I know for a fact he met with a Pope John Paul 2 few times. My mom used to work for him. So I know there is more to it.

Actually I got it from Roman Catholic priest that died not long a go. And I know for a fact he met with a Pope John Paul 2 few times. My mom used to work for him. So I know there is more to it.

It was still a generic product, sold to almost every Christian Sect. There is nothing there to make it special. Now if you actually had a provenance it might add a little value, but it is still just a generic item.

It was still a generic product, sold to almost every Christian Sect. There is nothing there to make it special. Now if you actually had a provenance it might add a little value, but it is still just a generic item.

Right. They may be uncommon, but not one of a kind. I saw one or two of this for sale while browsing. (Last time I think in Parker51.com)..unfortunately I don't remember the price though.

There is a reference of this in Tony's excellent website. http://parkerpens.net/parkervp.html

Edited by bluemoon

It probably wasn't sold to those denominations that don't believe in the holiness of holy water, which is lot of them. My guess is that it was a Catholic item. There are a lot of Catholics though. About a billion right now.

Lots of people meet with the Pope. I mean thousands every year. The likelihood of this pen-shaped aspergillium (the correct term) being in some way connected to the Pope is incredibly slight.

There is a lot of paraphernalia for Catholic priests (and lay ministers for that matter), partly because of the concreteness of the rites and sacraments (oil, water, incense, bread, wine etc.), and partly because it is just the style of Catholicism.

And yes, there is a 'holy smoke' (incense), and special objects to disperse it (censers).

I also think that many people who are not religious do not realize just how many people take their religion rather seriously and although they might not speak up, are disturbed by outsiders speaking frivolously of it.

This is far from "a generic item". While it is true that the insignia has nothing to do with the Pope, it is not a common item. Holy water sprinklers were made by Parker in the Vacumatic line as well as the VP line (your pen). While I can't answer value specifically, I would expect it to be worth north of $100 - $150, perhaps more to the right collector. It's a nice item, but don't plan to quit your job when you sell it.

BTW, don't try to pull out the filler unit. The VP filler is extremely fragile and you could easily break it. They are not easy or inexpensive to replace.

The correct term for this religious item is called an "asperge" or "aspersorium." It is indeed used to hold holy water / baptismal water. They are used to "sprinkle" or asperge the congregation with water during services of remembrance for baptism, they are also used to "asperge" caskets in funeral rites and other items that "require" a blessing. This particular model would be used by a priest or pastor to take with them to homes, hospitals, and other calls outside of the church. Services outside of the church could be house blessings, bike blessings and even in rites of exorcism. While I am not Roman Catholic, I am a Lutheran pastor, I would guess if it was a gift of the Holy Father there would be the seal of St. Peter / Vatican on the box or body of Asperge. The Chi Rho symbol is as Lorna stated a symbol of Christ.

If you want more info I would suggest calling a local religious supply store. Watra in Chicago is a great place and so is T.H. Stemper in Milwaukee WI. they may have more info on that particular item. I would guess for a pastor/priest, such as myself who collects Parker, it would be of greater interest and value than one who is not a clergy person.

What a great find/gift. It makes me think how I can modify that parker pen that no longer works.

The correct term for this religious item is called an "asperge" or "aspersorium." It is indeed used to hold holy water / baptismal water. They are used to "sprinkle" or asperge the congregation with water during services of remembrance for baptism, they are also used to "asperge" caskets in funeral rites and other items that "require" a blessing. This particular model would be used by a priest or pastor to take with them to homes, hospitals, and other calls outside of the church. Services outside of the church could be house blessings, bike blessings and even in rites of exorcism. While I am not Roman Catholic, I am a Lutheran pastor, I would guess if it was a gift of the Holy Father there would be the seal of St. Peter / Vatican on the box or body of Asperge. The Chi Rho symbol is as Lorna stated a symbol of Christ.

If you want more info I would suggest calling a local religious supply store. Watra in Chicago is a great place and so is T.H. Stemper in Milwaukee WI. they may have more info on that particular item. I would guess for a pastor/priest, such as myself who collects Parker, it would be of greater interest and value than one who is not a clergy person.

What a great find/gift. It makes me think how I can modify that parker pen that no longer works.

+1.

It is a generic item, not specifically Catholic, but most probably. And, as ReverendPen says, if it was a Papal gift, there would be the Vatican seal on it somewhere.

One only hopes that the bearer didn't get it mixed up with his real Parker 51...

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I would wager a VP holy water sprinkler is quite uncommon. However, pricewise, when I saw this, my initial price point was right in line with Danza, $100-150 give or take. It is nice, it looks very clean, and in great shape. However, unless you got some kind of provenance for it, paperwork, or documentation to back it up, the story of it being a gift from the pope, is just that, a story. I had a Pick holy water sprinkler a few years back, I have seen numerous Lebouef branded models, and even Chiltons. Parker seemed to make them for some time, I have seen Vacumatic models, 51 models, and now I can say, a VP model. Neat item, thanks for sharing.

http://www.chiltonpens.com/images/displaystyle.jpg

Frankly, I think that is one of the coolest and most unusual things I ever saw, and I wouldn't part with it for anything. ;-)

http://i59.tinypic.com/ekfh5f.jpg

I agree with you John its far from “a generic item” and its not a common item. I have been in touch with Tony Fischier from “Ask Tony” and he totally agrees that’s its quite rare and very collectible. He send me this link

http://www.gopens.com/Cat54.php

After reviving all the information I got from experts I would like $450 for it. Its never been used and its in the original case and a cardboard case with instruction manual. The item like this its definitely not easy to find! Offers are welcome!