Question on Lamy 2000, medium nib

bueno

I need some input here. I finally went ahead and ordered a Lamy 2000, medium nib after owning a Safari for the longest time.

I was really excited, expecting a nice wet thick line. Instead, the lines are not very consistent, sometimes skipping putting ink down altogether. Though only once in a while, I never had the problem with the Safari (it was a F, I don't know if it makes a difference) and it is really disappointing. I write fast and it is really becoming a problem.

I have tried different notebooks (regular lined, different brands) and Noodler's black and Noodler's blue heron ink. Situation is a little better with the blue but it still demands putting extra force on the paper that wasn't necessary before in order not to skip.

I have cleaned it, and put ink a couple of times already and while it improved, it still requires force for consistent ink flow. Should my expectations different for this model? I was really expecting a pen that would write with very little force as I as used to the Safari.

I guess what concerns me the most is the additional pressure required.

Thanks for any input.

post-40441-127378874422.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bueno

• Feanor

• Dr Lopez

• figosmum

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wash it out with a bit of dish soap, then a wetter ink (what are you using?). If that doesn't work, call Lamy service and get it fixed.

I am sorry, my Lamy 2K M writes very very well and wet. Some people even the 2K is too wet. Something might be wrong with your pen.

In my current rotation:

Pelikan 400 Brown Tortoise/14K Fine/J. Herbin Cafe des Iles

Lamy 2000/14K Medium/Lamy Blue-Black

Sailor 1911 Large burgundy/21K Naginata Togi Medium/Diamine Oxblood

Montblanc 146/14K Fine/Montblanc Racing Green

Rosetta blue/Steel Pendelton cursive italic/Pelikan Royal Blue

Delta Passion/18K Broad/Diamine Syrah

Wash it out with a bit of dish soap, then a wetter ink (what are you using?). If that doesn't work, call Lamy service and get it fixed.

Do you mean wash the nib itself? should I use soapy water and a piece of cloth? I am Noodler's Bulletproof Black. But I also tested it with Noodler's Blue heron.

I am sorry, my Lamy 2K M writes very very well and wet. Some people even the 2K is too wet. Something might be wrong with your pen.

Thanks, I'll give the cleaning a go but I wanted a sanity check before consider returning it (I received Monday and only been using it since yesterday).

Do you mean wash the nib itself? should I use soapy water and a piece of cloth? I am Noodler's Bulletproof Black. But I also tested it with Noodler's Blue heron.

I mean flush it. Fill the pen and empty it a few times. First with the soapy water, then with regular water, to rinse the soap out. Sometimes there are oils left in the feed from the manufacturing process and they can block the feed, the soapy water should wash them out.

I mean flush it. Fill the pen and empty it a few times. First with the soapy water, then with regular water, to rinse the soap out. Sometimes there are oils left in the feed from the manufacturing process and they can block the feed, the soapy water should wash them out.

Thanks, that made a WORLD of difference. It doesn't seem to skip anymore and I can write really fast without worrying about the ink going down on paper. A very badly written sample attached. All you are great, what an impressive and super-fast response!

By the way, I know I changed inks on you but the problem existed with both of them. I'll keep you all posted if anything changes with the other ink.

post-40441-12737917245.jpg

I use to flush every single pen that arrives to my hand, the new ones because of the oils left by the manufacturer, the old ones for obvious reasons. Nice you could fix your problem.

In my current rotation:

Pelikan 400 Brown Tortoise/14K Fine/J. Herbin Cafe des Iles

Lamy 2000/14K Medium/Lamy Blue-Black

Sailor 1911 Large burgundy/21K Naginata Togi Medium/Diamine Oxblood

Montblanc 146/14K Fine/Montblanc Racing Green

Rosetta blue/Steel Pendelton cursive italic/Pelikan Royal Blue

Delta Passion/18K Broad/Diamine Syrah

Thanks, that made a WORLD of difference. It doesn't seem to skip anymore and I can write really fast without worrying about the ink going down on paper. A very badly written sample attached. All you are great, what an impressive and super-fast response!

By the way, I know I changed inks on you but the problem existed with both of them. I'll keep you all posted if anything changes with the other ink.

UPDATE:

Well that didn't last long. The skipping problems came back a little while after. I flushed it again and waited a couple of days to make sure that it wasn't air bubbles or something. It seemed to require quite a bit of pressure to get the ink flowing with any thickness. But the worse was the skipping whenever I started writing. I changed inks a couple of times. In total I tried for a couple of days with 3 inks 4 different kinds of paper. It is disappointing, luckily I was able to send it for exchange given that it was new. Replacement should be arriving soon. My cheap Lamy Safari saving my skin until then.

Hi,

sorry for your disappointment. I went though exactly the same, by the way, and if it is any consolation: My m nib started to write better gradually until after a month or so, it became a smooth and reliable writer.

An ink change made a world of difference though - when I switched to Montegrappa/Waterman inks, things suddenly became MUCH better. I have trouble with Noodlers in most of my pens, unless I have it in very wet writers, which my 2K is definitely NOT. (Shame, I would love to use Noodlers more as I like the colours, but it is just so high-maintenance, at least in my pens).

The 2000 is a great pen though, once you're through the teething troubles phase. Good luck.

Katinka

WTB: Pelikan Epoch saphire/jade/silver, Cross C-Series Monaco Blue, Cross Compact Magenta, Fuliwen Silver Ring orange or yellow (all with M/B nibs except for Fuliwen)

Hi,

good luck with your exchange nib.

Some off-topic: I think your handwriting is absolute acceptable! But if I were you, I would stick to the finer nibs since your writing is too small for a normal working wet Lamy M nib. I also must admit, that I like that inconsistent line of your L2k, which avoids the writing being monotone.. but if the pen skips, I would of course send it back, too. ;)

had a similar problem with me vp. I had to change inks and it wrote splendidly.I haven't had similar problems with the l2k

"Once committed to fight, cut. Everything else is secondary. Cut. That is your duty, your purpose, your hunger. There is no rule more important, no commitment that overrides that one. Cut. Cut from the void, not from bewilderment. Cut the enemy as quickly and directly as possible. Cut decisively, resolutely. Cut into the enemy's strength. Flow through the gaps in his guard. Cut him. Cut him down utterly. Don't allow him a breath. Crush him. Cut him without mercy to the depths of his spirit."