My Perfect New Conway Stewart

QM2

I am so accustomed to the possibility of something going wrong in the pen ordering and purchasing process, that when everything

goes right it is the most delightful surprise. I am pleased to report that such was the case with my second bespoke Conway Stewart

Dandy. I ordered it from my local shop during the amazing clearance sale, but only got the chance to pick it up last week.

The pen is perfect, in the sense that it is exactly what I asked for and writes splendidly. Here are some photos.

http://queenmargot.com/greendandy1.jpg

Conway Stewart Dandy

classic green

flat-top cap

lever fill

gold trim

italic fine nib

http://queenmargot.com/greendandy2.jpg

Classic green is not typically considered an "exciting" colour, but I disagree.

It is subtle, but the closer you look the more you see.

http://queenmargot.com/greendandy3.jpg

The overall impression is that it is a dark sea-green, but it combines at least

five different resins, varying in shade, texture and translucence. I can stare at it forever.

It actually looks nicer than what I had been expecting from photos and from the Classic Green CS pens that I've seen in person.

Could they have changed the formula recently? If so, they have improved it. Or maybe I just got lucky and a particularly pretty

slice of resin was used to make my pen. Either way, I love it.

http://queenmargot.com/greendandy5.jpg

I had asked my local shop to order the pen with a black section (as opposed to same colour). I prefer this look, because that is

how the vintage pens were made.

The IF nib was very smooth out of the box and with obvious italic properties. I am very pleased with it.

http://queenmargot.com/greendandy6.jpg

I have read some comments recently about tight caps on new bespoke CS pens. The cap on mine is tighter to turn than on my

other Dandy, but I consider this a plus rather than a defect, because it will prevent the pen from uncapping.

PS to Mods: I am posting this on the CS forum rather than make a review of it, because I already have a review of the black Dandy here.

But please feel free to also link it in the Review Index if you feel it is appropriate.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• QM2

• Italicist

• reprieve

• dandelion

What a beautiful looking pen, QM2! Is there any chance that you might post a written sample? Inquiring minds wonder what Conway Stewart's italic nibs are like.

all the best,

Italicist

Lovely! The classic green was one of the colours I considered and it is truly stunning. That is exactly the kind of green I adore. Thanks for posting these photos, QM2.

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

Thanks dandelion : )

Italicist - I know I've posted some samples of CS italic nibs, but I cannot find the posts now! The thing is, that I own four italic-fine Conway Stewart pens at this point, and they all write differently. Some are quite crisp and others have hardly any line variation at all. This latest green Dandy writes like a medium-wet .7mm stub, which I quite like. Oh and it is also somewhat flexible! I will post a sample when I get a chance.

Beautiful pen. The Classic Green and Brown offerings are my favorite CS patterns. I have the Dandy in Demonstrator mode (although not a true demonstrator, not totally clear) and the Dandy Heritiage. Sadly none dressed in the green or brown.

QM2, pen looks great with that black section!

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

What a beautiful looking pen, QM2! Is there any chance that you might post a written sample? Inquiring minds wonder what Conway Stewart's italic nibs are like.

all the best,

Italicist

If you look in the review section you find two reviews by me under Duro Heritage

which includes writing samples. You find them here and here. I guess you find more writing samples if you browse the Conway Stewart section of reviews.

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

That is one Dandy of a pen! Classic styling. I think you could spend many an evening with this one.

Thank you for posting the photos QM2.

Now where's the must have list?

QM2, does the rounded end of the lever fit flush with the barrel? I have a modern 58 lever-filler and the rounded end of the lever doesn't appear to be flush with the barrel; it's hard to see, but I can feel it and the uncapped pen doesn't role passed the lever unless coaxed.

Bryan

"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes." Winston S. Churchill

QM2, does the rounded end of the lever fit flush with the barrel? I have a modern 58 lever-filler and the rounded end of the lever doesn't appear to be flush with the barrel; it's hard to see, but I can feel it and the uncapped pen doesn't role passed the lever unless coaxed.

Mine is similar to what you describe: visually flush, but tactile-wise it is raised just a bit and stops the pen from rolling. It is the same with my other modern Dandy and I take it they are all like that.

Great looking Dandy. I love the looks of this Bespoke.

It has a vintage look to the entire pen.

Congrats.. and enjoy.

John (classics)

"Churn the Butter"

I ordered two Dandies during the Spring Sale: one in Classic Green (IM nib) and another in Classic Black (IB nib). I really enjoy using both of them, and despite some initial issues with the Classic Black pen (which Mary very kindly and quickly took care of for me), I am happy with the Dandies. The Classic Green is more lovely, and is definitely my favorite aesthetically. I do prefer the width of the IB nib on the Classic Black Dandy, though.

It's truly lovely. I'm always so impressed with how CS manages to make new pens look vintage. I'm just enthralled with this brand right now. I do hope the pen is everything you expected it to be.

"Instant gratification takes too long."-Carrie Fisher

Beautiful pen, QM2!

I almost got one of my new CS pens in the same color....excellent choice....

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

• 3 weeks later...

This is a very nice pen with a great choice of color. There is a quite a bit of depth to it even in the photographs. Congratulations.