Show us your wax seals

Rena

Hello.

Here's a Chinese Seal made of wood. It's approx 2 inches across, so I think it was probably used as a decorative impression for clay or stoneware.

I thought to coat it with some sort of "release agent", like mineral oil, and use it as a wax seal.

What do you think?

post-44407-0-20738400-1308753229.jpg

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kiavonne

• Adamtrons

• Rena

• Aquinata

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l6yddcoHfk1qctkcl.jpg

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

I have never thought about using my Chinese Chop as a wax seal stamp...I am going to have to start doing that!

I can also turn handles for seal plates if anyone ever has the need...just would need to know the threading of the plate...

Edited by patsikes

Patrick Sikes

The Norsk Woodshop

www.NorskWoodshop.com

blog.NorskWoodshop.com

http://ny-image1.etsy.com/il_75x75.122676229.jpg   http://ny-image0.etsy.com/il_75x75.116681716.jpg   http://ny-image1.etsy.com/il_75x75.121813549.jpg

Hello.

Here's a Chinese Seal made of wood. It's approx 2 inches across, so I think it was probably used as a decorative impression for clay or stoneware.

I thought to coat it with some sort of "release agent", like mineral oil, and use it as a wax seal.

What do you think?

post-44407-0-20738400-1308753229.jpg

Very nice, David. But I think that even if you use some sort of oil, you'll have a problem with the hot wax adhering to the surface. Wood won't be cold enough to quickly cool down the wax and release before the hot wax seeps into the wood grain. I have a seal that is very thin bloodstone. It has some rough edges where the stone meets the wood handle, and this seal often sticks at those edges. Even when I've put it in the freezer for a little while before using it, it still has a problem releasing from the wax. Afterwards, it's a bit of a mess trying to get the wax off the seal itself.

Beautiful photos of your seals, rfranca! That Abraxas Amber sealing wax is gorgeous!

I have never thought about using my Chinese Chop as a wax seal stamp...I am going to have to start doing that!

I can also turn handles for seal plates if anyone ever has the need...just would need to know the threading of the plate...

I juse my chop as a seal. In my opinion, it works better with wax than it does with the traditional red ink.

http://www.throughouthistory.com/ - My Blog on History & Antiques

Thanks for your comments, Rena.

- very helpful; and it certainly does make sense that the wood wouldn't cool fast enough to release the wax.

I will probably have to find another method to reproducce that very unique "seal."

...hmmm... I have a resource that could model it in CAD and reproduce it in Steel on a CNC machine.

- I'll look in to that...:hmm1:

And, from the Post way above: That Abraxas Amber wax is gorgeous! -will have to acquire some, now.

>>BTW: The correct spelling of the word for "writing materials" is:

s.t.a.t.i.o.n.E.r.y.

s.t.a.t.i.o.n.E.r.y.

I guess that depends if they are in motion or not ....

s.t.a.t.i.o.n.E.r.y.

I guess that depends if they are in motion or not ....

HA! Yes - If you've left the window open...

This evil, evil thread has sucked me in and kept me up late into the night, browsing seals and wax and accessories, and even finding my family crest (I didn't know we had one!) and seriously considering a signet ring from Dexter in red gold.

Must... sleep...

Kushbaby

I like eating peanuts with chopsticks...

This evil, evil thread has sucked me in and kept me up late into the night, browsing seals and wax and accessories, and even finding my family crest (I didn't know we had one!) and seriously considering a signet ring from Dexter in red gold.

Must... sleep...

I agree that there are many "Enabler-threads" here on FPN...although, I have, up to now, successfully managed to forestall an obsessive search for the "perfect" cards and paper correspondence... :blink:

One aspect of Wax Seals that continues to amaze me, and I'm sure, one to which many Posters here can attest: That a Wax Seal on a piece of correspondence has the capability to evoke such surprise, joy and delight in the recipient.

I've actually had people "request" more cards etc. from me, just to experience that added "detail" on what they would ordinarily consider a "mundane" piece of mail.

I suppose that my point, here, is: to most people in my personal circles, the subject or detail of the "seal", itself, doesn't really matter as much as the unique experience of a wax seal on a piece of correspondence, in and of itself.

So, it doesn't matter whether I use a $10. Flower stamp from Tandy Leather, or a $1,000 hand-carved stone-inset signet ring; in this age of Form Letters, auto-generated correspondence, and computer-generated digital "signatures", many people appear to be genuinely astonished and delightfully surprised to see that I (we) have taken the time and effort to personalize a card, letter, etc. in a way that was thought to be "outdated", "old-fashioned", or "extinct."

Thanks, everyone, for your contributions to this very inspiring, and motivating subject.

I have been putting off posting some images of my seals. The wax is red supple J. Herbin. The first is a custom seal I had made with a line drawing of Napoleon based on a painting. The second are three wafers. The third is a version of the coat of arms of the Royal Family of the Netherlands.

post-37141-0-50990100-1309813440.jpg

post-37141-0-44379000-1309813460.jpg

post-37141-0-98883200-1309813479.jpg

President, Big Apple Pen Club

Follow us on Instagram @big_apple_pen_club

"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery."

J.J. Lax Pen Co.

www.jjlaxpenco.comOn Instagram: @jjlaxpenco

Here are three more. The first is a very small fob with an engraving of a sea lion. Second, two great lion heads. Finally, a tall ship which I got based on a similar post here.

Josh

post-37141-0-37994400-1309813662.jpg

post-37141-0-01089400-1309813675.jpg

post-37141-0-35397900-1309813685.jpg

President, Big Apple Pen Club

Follow us on Instagram @big_apple_pen_club

"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery."

J.J. Lax Pen Co.

www.jjlaxpenco.comOn Instagram: @jjlaxpenco

jjlax10 - I love lions and love those lion head seals. Where did you get them? I've searched all over the internet and always come up with the same cartoon type or rampant lions but never a lion head like on your seal. Thanks for sharing - hope I can get one too!

Edited by Wickwack

Be kind to strangers as you may be entertaining angels unawares.

Forgiveness is the scent of the violet on the heel that crushed it.

fpn_1303938288__hp_inkdrop.jpg

• 1 month later...

Does Castle in the Air sell wax seals?

looking at their site https://www.castleintheair.biz/shoppe/ I only found sealing wax, but no seals.

I bought a couple os seals at http://www.nostalgicimpressions.com (no afilliation)

a good search on the web will help you find plenty options (including custom made)

They may have them in stock, just not posted on their website. It was because of my inquiry about abraxas wax that they ended up placing their selection of it on their website. Send an email to them asking about it, they are incredibly helpful, and go beyond what I could of even expected from any great writing instrument, or stationary shop!

P.S. If they do, you should also pick up a color or two from the Abraxas Ink they sell, oh and their wax too! It takes a little longer to melt, but can smell amazing! Heck, you should get the ink and wax even if they don't have the seals!

Edited by JakobS

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

It was because of my inquiry about abraxas wax that they ended up placing their selection of it on their website.

Wow,

now I know who I have to thank for helping me to find this wax.

Besides Castle in the Air there was just no other place I could find them for a reasanoble price